Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #1

Need Help In A Big Decision M.h.

I CAN PURCHASE A ALMOST EXCELLENT AIRSTREM LAND YACHT 33 FT.. 1998, 454, WITH 48,000 MI. IT HAS A LOT OF PERKS, WOOD AND TILE FLOORS ALL AWNINGS, AND OTHER ODDS AND ENDS. HAS ALL BOOKS AND MAINT RECORDS, SOLAR STRIPS. JUST ALL AROUND NICE. 150 HOURS ON GEN. ONE ELDERLY OWNER.
DRIVER DOOR WITH POWER WINDOW. LEATHER STEEL FLEX DRIVER AND PASS. SEATS. CAN GET THIS UNIT (IST TIMER BUYER) FOR ABOUT 24,000.
THIS SEEMS LIKE A MORE THAN FAIR PRICE. IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD LOOK FOR AS FAR AS PROBLEMS.
lOOKING FOR YOU VETS ADVICE. I RELY 1000% ON PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY'S
JIM GALLION
gallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Can you use it enough to justify the purchase? It may be a great deal but if you have 2-3 weeks vacation each year, it's cheaper to get a (typically gross) hotel room.

Also, do you like the floorplan? If not, you'll just end up unhappy.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
That seems like a very fair price ........ but look at the use, has it been out on a consistent basis or stored? At lot of things do not work well if they are not used on a frequent basis ( trust me, we blew up a low mileage MoHo). If it has been out and about frequently it seems like a good price. But also look at what has been replaced or will need to be: fridge?, AC? genny? tires?, when were the brakes done?, batteries? it definitely adds up. We had to do a lot to our 345 but are very happy with the results.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Offer the seller a deposit subject to inspection by a local MOHO dealer/mechanic. Make sure you find the mechanic first... Give it a good pre-purchase inspection and you should turn up any deficiencies.

The price of the unit is likely just the price of admission, as many here will tell you.

Once you own the coach then you can prioritize the fix-up to your needs.

Let us know what you find and if this one is a keeper.

BTW welcome to the AirForums.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote