Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
More intake air

As the carb will get rebuilt on Monday I think tomorrow will be a good day to start on the new air breather box. The president of the golf bag company I represent built this 454 Chevy alternative to the standard filter arrangement. More air is better.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...17&uid=1666439

His complete project is here.... worth looking at to see how deep some people get. This is a freight hauler complete with curbside cargo door.

http://www.picturetrail.com/clubmaxxpch
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Impressive and enterprising endevour! My hat is off to his level of commitment and enthusiasm. . .
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I'm hoping my air hose will be at home tomorrow when I get there. I'd like to complete the project before I head to Florida on Tuesday.

I've got the "box" fabricated and just need to seal it and cut the hole for the hose. From there just have to snake the hose out front and attach the cone filter.

After my carb rebuild I tracked 9.53 MPG on my trip over to Myrtle Beach yesterday

Now if I can stuff a little more air into the mix.... next on the list is the super Mallory ignition setup and I'm off to the double digits...maybe.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-19-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Project complete!!

I'm very happy to say that the new air intake project is complete!! Finished the installation today and have uploaded the photos for all to see. Of course the use of clear gasket maker would have made a better looking job of it but it's out of sight and I used what I had on hand.
4" intake hose and filter should provide more air than the old horn did on the OEM intake.
Opps, just remembered that I have to plug in the vent filter on the right side where the valve cover vented into the old intake box....details...details.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks for posting that info. Another member did a fabrication with two scoops under the bumper or behind the grill. He borught the "dryer" tubing up to the air cleaner inlet.
Did you rebuild the quadrajet? Others have done that or gone to an Edelbrock. I have been able to get by just keeping my quad very clean, and changing all the fuel filters, so far anyway. I also use dry gas or another additive fairly regularly since I don't drive my rig all that often.
Checked out your photos, they look great!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Allan I did get the carb rebuilt and posted it under the "carb rejet" thread. Saw 9.5 mpg on the first test! Got 9.3 mpg on the highway test on the way back from Florida last week doing 60-65 mph.
Now with the new air intake and the new coil installed yesterday I'm ready to take it out and check the numbers... but can't till after Thanksgiving as I'm on my way to WV on Tues.
Also just got the new Flowmaster 70's in yesterday and will have them installed prior to the next run.
I feel double digits coming on
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-03-2006, 05:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Skaneateles , New York
air intake

Please update us all on the changes you have made and the effect on mileage. Thank you. Tom
wanderingeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tom, just back from a week and a bit in Florida so it's time to catch up on some posting.
I've of course done the breather box mod. Got the carb rebuilt. I also added the headman headers first thing after I got the coach. Did the exhaust from the headers back through Flowmaster 70's all 2.5" pipes.
The radial tires are new on the back and about two years old on the front. I keep close watch on tire presure.
I just got my MSD ignition box and will try to get it installed this week. More complete fuel burn may not translate to better MPG but I feel better if I'm not dumping raw fuel out the tail pipe.
I drive with a pilots instrument scan, don't even realize I'm doing it most of the time, and one of the critical gadges is the vacum gadge.
Last economy check was on the way to Florida. Tank included a few days around town (50 miles) and then 62-67 mph down I-95 into Georgia. Generator was running at close to idle with computers running and the total worked out to 9.44 MPG. For a 28' gas unit I'm very, very, did I mention very, HAPPY! I figure without the generator running the coach is getting close to or topping 10 MPG. As I'm on the road daily this is the most important part of my overhead. What I spend on fuel economy improvements I hope to put into my bottom line... eventually.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach