Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
mo/ho question: huh?

We had a 310 Diesel, same year, come into the campground and the owner showed me a part that came with the coach. Anyone have a clue what it is/does/did? I can't make out the manufacturer (it is made in the U.S.A.). Looks like a motor of some kind, but I've not seen anything like it on our coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5100.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	112484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5097.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	112485  

Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
my guess would be window winder (do they have electric power windows?) or windshield wiper motor . . .

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
It's a windshield wiper motor.
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I agree with Robfike, windshield wiper motor.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Well done, sharp-eyed forum members! I just looked at mine and though it's a different model from some other coach, it is indeed a wiper motor.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Well done, sharp-eyed forum members! I just looked at mine and though it's a different model from some other coach, it is indeed a wiper motor.
While you were looking do you have one or two wiper motors? I have two and the drivers side motor died on the road and I had to do some creative fudging to make a NAPA unit work. A few months later the end of the link from the motor to the wiper mount post broke. I was lucky to find a truck shop to weld it back on for me. Now I hesitate every time I turn the wiper on.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
While you were looking do you have one or two wiper motors? I have two and the drivers side motor died on the road and I had to do some creative fudging to make a NAPA unit work. A few months later the end of the link from the motor to the wiper mount post broke. I was lucky to find a truck shop to weld it back on for me. Now I hesitate every time I turn the wiper on.

Cheers, Dan
RainX your windshield. Works great when traveling, and when you do have to use your wipers they seem to work far better. If you kept the old wiper motor find an electric motor repair shop and get them to fix it. Cost me about $100, well worth it to have the proper wiper in my '57.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I have two wiper motors and they've never been serviced. Looks like the typical AS bearcat to get at. I too, cross my fingers every time I turn them on. Another good reason to winter in Arizona! That motor that was in the other guys mo/ho would never fit ours, I think the PO got it given to him by a well-meaning friend.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I think airstream assembled the dash and suspended it by wires.. and then built the coach around it.. never considering the poor sap that had to work in and around that mess.. I saw the wiper motors and thought to myself I hope they continue to work!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
... Anyone have a clue what it is/does/did? I can't make out the manufacturer (it is made in the U.S.A.). Looks like a motor of some kind, but I've not seen anything like it on our coach.
wow, flashbacks...
I worked for a company that supplied components to the place that made that motor. Yup, it's a windshield wiper motor and it was built for heavy truck/RV/Aftermarket use in Columbus Mississippi- the facility went thru several name/owner changes and finally closed in the late '90's. Some of the products ended up transfering to China when Globe Motors shut it down.

anyway

That's kinda a neat motor. The rear of the housing is adjustable to "park" the wiper where its' needed!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
That's kinda a neat motor. The rear of the housing is adjustable to "park" the wiper where its' needed!
Wow! That is cool, I wondered what the increments were all about. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
RainX your windshield. Works great when traveling, and when you do have to use your wipers they seem to work far better. If you kept the old wiper motor find an electric motor repair shop and get them to fix it. Cost me about $100, well worth it to have the proper wiper in my '57.
The wipers actually clear the windshield pretty well. The problem was I was on a trip with time limits. Mill Supply has the motors but it wasn't an option on Friday afternoon on a rainy weekend. I think the core charge from NAPA was almost as much as the motor. If I remember the motor was $65 and the core was $35 or $40. The mount was easy but finding the right fitting to connect the link was the problem. Also had to fudge the wiring and couldn't get the park to work with my switch just had to turn off when the wiper was down. A bit of a pain but better than no wiper.

Cheers, Dan
Old 10-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
I have two wiper motors and they've never been serviced. Looks like the typical AS bearcat to get at. I too, cross my fingers every time I turn them on. Another good reason to winter in Arizona! That motor that was in the other guys mo/ho would never fit ours, I think the PO got it given to him by a well-meaning friend.
Actually it's pretty easy to remove and reinstall. The worst part is the little spring retaining clip. It's real hart to find on wet asphalt.

You may run to Arizona Mike but water is the basis of life and I prefer green and trees to sand and cactus. I'll stay North and play with the wiper motor.

Cheers, Dan