Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
Metal in Transmission Fluid

Had my trany serviced, @ 50,000 miles.
Garage says he found metal shavings in the fluid, I told him it seems to be working fine.
He told me "If it was his, he would drive it until there was a problem"
Is this the right thing to do?
I would hate to break down 500 miles from home, also what should I be looking for ? Hard shift ? slipping ? Noise ?
any help would be great
Regards
Rob
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Sounds like you found an honest mechanic. If he did not immediately offer to rebuild the trans I would say you can trust him.

It all depends on what he found, aluminum, steel, or clutch dust. If the pieces were to big to pass through the filter they did not get downstream and into the valve body or converter. They may have been from manufacturing.

I would drive a few thousand miles and then have the pan dropped again. If there is no new material found I would assume it was left over from production.

That sounds strange but several years ago a marine engine supplier would buy new diesel engines from GM and then open them up for modification. When opened they would find metal shavings. A trip to the engine plant found the cleaning people cleaning the shop with air hoses and sending metal everywhere. They may have reassigned those cleaners.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I am no expert on transmissions, but metal shavings are part of the normal wear of the unit. I have my fluid replaced every 30,000 miles.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As long as they aren't big, honkin' chunks of metal, it is probably normal wear, especially if it has never been serviced before. You can install an inline transmission filter to catch more contaminants in the fluid, the filters are about $20, and you can change them yearly. At service intervals of 30,000 miles, it will be another 5-8 years (depending on how much you drive it) before you have it serviced again. Make sure you document this situation in your records so you don't forget it between now and then, so the next guy doesn't blindside you with the info.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Magnetic drain plug

You might try to locate a magnetic drain plug. Along with the filter, it will remove metalic particles amd give you an instant view of what is going on when you change fluid. I also recommend the same for the engine oil pan.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'll add that extreme usage requires more frequent than normal fluid AND filter changes. keep an eye and nose on the fluid for darkening or a burnt smell as that can indicate slippage. so far, it sounds like normal wear and tear.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I replaced a leaking pan gasket on my old '88 Grand Wagoneer, and found a magnet installed by the factory in the bottom of the pan. I would say someone expected a few metal fragments.....

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Slipping is pretty obvious, especially from gear to gear, never hurts to let up slightly to allow the shift to proceed quickly. Fluid is not so easily diagnosed these days from fluid color or smell. That said, one ought to be familiar with the way it looks and smells. I would be having it changed at 30m, not 50m (or, about 2-3 years) in a T-Tec machine (where there is no external pump, the AT pump is the power for the fluid exchanger; T-Tech Transmission Fluid Exchangers from Automotive Service Equipment

It isn't easy to get the torque converter to empty (yet another thing I loved about my Chrysler trannys is that they had a drain plug for this); why I usually did mine at home (with a helper) and drained about 17-18 quarts through the return line after the cooler[s]. Start and stop, with drive wheels in air; at idle.

The in-pan "filter" is really only a screen. I add a filter on automatics downstream of an auxiliary cooler which itself is downstream of the radiator-mounted cooler; brand is either MAGNEFINE or RACOR for the filter. With this, find out if there is a high-flow screen of brass or other for that trans. With the downstream filter you wouldn't have to change out the in-pan screen again.

Screen picture; #FFF about 1/2-way down:
400Raptor.com the Ultimate 400 and 350 Transmission Website, TH400 and TH350 Transmissions

Magnefine--Your Source For Magnefine Inline Filters

OilGuard Online Shopping: Automatic transmission filter kit, 6 micron, w/ mounting bracket and fittings, hose not included

I also use SCHAEFFER'S #204 ATS Supreme fluid; it is a truly superior product.

Schaeffer's ALL-Trans Supreme Transmission Fluid for Dexron III and Mercon fluids

Be sure that the "magnetic plug" is of a good design (sturdy); it is worthwhile, but not if it breaks. With the Magnefine filter this is unnecessary (it will collect ferrous particles), but there are not many in an auto trans.

Aftermarket "deep" pans with a boss for a drain plug, another for a temp gauge and of rigid construction with extra capacity (but not so much that you need an extended pickup for the pump) is always a good idea.

B&M Racing is good for all these products (except the filter).

B&M Racing & Performance Products

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrv View Post
Had my trany serviced, @ 50,000 miles.
Garage says he found metal shavings in the fluid, I told him it seems to be working fine.
He told me "If it was his, he would drive it until there was a problem"
Is this the right thing to do?
I would hate to break down 500 miles from home, also what should I be looking for ? Hard shift ? slipping ? Noise ?
any help would be great
Regards
Rob
From : ATRA - Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association devoted to automatic transmission repair

Tiny metal particles in the transmission pan do not necessarily indicate a problem. Even a moderate amount of metal particles is normal for most vehicles.
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Bloomington , Minnesota
I have a 1983 model 310

I elected not to install a deep trans oil pan due to cross member/tranny mount at the back of the tranny getting in the way of the pan.

I did install a tranny fluid cooler behind the front grill.
drfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
I replaced a leaking pan gasket on my old '88 Grand Wagoneer, and found a magnet installed by the factory in the bottom of the pan. I would say someone expected a few metal fragments.....
Yep. The magnet is designed to keep the larger metal shavings from moving around and smaller shavings from remaining suspended in the fluid.

If you don't know if there is a magnet on the inside of the pan, it's not a bad idea to stick one on the underside of the drain pan or go with a magnetic plug. The free magnet won't go anywhere unless something strikes the magnet, and it will provide some help in holding the fragments.

Like Pop Rivet said, it's a good idea on the oil pan, too.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
All,
Thanks for all the advise,
I got the beast back from the shop, He said there is a filter screen in there already (by factory I do not know) anyway drove it 100 miles no problems,
So the metal was like "chips" not shavings, looks like machining chips about 1/32" wide x 1/4 " long most smaller ??
Total amount of "chips" well you can spread it over a face of a dime to maybe a nickel.
Magnetic ? Yes.
Fluid was clean.
I told him I will replace the fluid in 2 months "If nothing else happens" and see what it looks like.
Rob
Old 06-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Rob

If you want to continue to monitor the condition of the transmission you can take an oil sample out of the transmission and have it tested by a lab. I had it done when my transmission high temperature warning came on and I wanted to verify that it was an electrical problem and not the overheating of the transmission fluid. You can search the internet for companies that do the testing. I used Blackstone Labs (www.blackston-labs.com) who will send out the a collection kit and mailer at no charge.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma

I agree, sounds like you found an honest mechanic.
As long as you found large chips and no brown piles of mud in the bottom of the pan (Clutch surface material indicating a lot of slipping) It should be ok.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Deer , Alberta
If you do put a spin on filter on your transmission you can cut open the old filters to get a good idea of the condition of your transmission. It's a pretty good idea for your engine oil filter too. And it gives you an idea of how well the filter is made, you'd be surprised at the difference between OEM and name brand filters.
canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrv View Post
All,
Thanks for all the advise,
I got the beast back from the shop, He said there is a filter screen in there already (by factory I do not know) anyway drove it 100 miles no problems,
So the metal was like "chips" not shavings, looks like machining chips about 1/32" wide x 1/4 " long most smaller ??
Total amount of "chips" well you can spread it over a face of a dime to maybe a nickel.
Magnetic ? Yes.
Fluid was clean.
I told him I will replace the fluid in 2 months "If nothing else happens" and see what it looks like.
Rob
Two months is an excellent plan. Surprising how many people are resistant to that sort of approach. This ought to ensure you truly have fresh fluid throughout the system.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Deer , Alberta
The chip was 1/32" x 1/4", but how thin was it? Like aluminum foil thin? Was it steel or aluminum?

If it's steel that type of chip comes from steel on steel rolling (without slippage), so a roller bearing, or from the face of a gear tooth. (The teeth are cut so that they roll on each other.) They aren't any cause for concern unless you're getting lots of them.
canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
All,
Update
I had my fluid changed after 5000 miles and the good news is that no chips where found the fluid was clean
Regards
Rob