Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Measure the voltage at the headlamp. The difference in light output with incandescent is 80% from 11 to 13+.

So this difference may be as much due to Moho electrical system deterioration as to the more efficient LED.

Use an E-Code aiming chart transposed onto a wall. I've done that with every personal vehicle and Class 8 tractor the past twenty years. It's a noticeable difference.

See www.danielsternlighting.com for that link in the Tech section (which has other worthwhile projects).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Don't forget the B/U lights, they were a big improvement on our Burb AND AS.

Bob
No doubt Bob. I already have taken care of the B/U lights but good point absolutely.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Brilliant in every respect. I’ll never forget driving our coach from Northern California to Houston. Took three weeks in March through deserted interstates and some backroads. Frankly, it was terrifying in places. I was driving on the other (wrong!) side of the road and couldn’t see a thing.I’d never driven anything bigger than a small van and the stock headlights seemed little better than a good torch.
I’m in for this upgrade. Would you mind reposting the link to the ones your purchased so that I can make sure I get the correct model.

Thanks
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Which headlight set did you end up buying?
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Measure the voltage at the headlamp. The difference in light output with incandescent is 80% from 11 to 13+.

So this difference may be as much due to Moho electrical system deterioration as to the more efficient LED.

Use an E-Code aiming chart transposed onto a wall. I've done that with every personal vehicle and Class 8 tractor the past twenty years. It's a noticeable difference.

See www.danielsternlighting.com for that link in the Tech section (which has other worthwhile projects).

I measured voltage at idle before installation of the new LEDS, 12.8-13.2
I was surprised it was that good. Installed a new headlight switch last year also.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Brilliant in every respect. I’ll never forget driving our coach from Northern California to Houston. Took three weeks in March through deserted interstates and some backroads. Frankly, it was terrifying in places. I was driving on the other (wrong!) side of the road and couldn’t see a thing.I’d never driven anything bigger than a small van and the stock headlights seemed little better than a good torch.
I’m in for this upgrade. Would you mind reposting the link to the ones your purchased so that I can make sure I get the correct model.

Thanks
Nick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Would you mind reposting the link to the ones your purchased so that I can make sure I get the correct model.

Thanks
Nick
Nick,

I might be wrong but if I remember correctly you need different bulbs in the UK than you do in the US. I thought the low or dipped beams were supposed to angle to the side of the road and that involves both the bulb inside and the glass housing.

At least that's how I thought the Triumph sports cars were set up. Possibly it's different now or I just don't understand how headlights are supposed to work!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Martin, do you want these in Peanut?
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
I love my LED headlights. Can't imagine being without them now! This is a worthwhile upgrade that everyone should consider.

We discussed mine briefly on my motor swap thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...-140290-2.html and more extensivly in this thread on 12V issues http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...-144366-4.html

They are still working well and the improvement over the sealed beams is astounding. Like night and day
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
I love my LED headlights. Can't imagine being without them now! This is a worthwhile upgrade that everyone should consider.

We discussed mine briefly on my motor swap thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...-140290-2.html and more extensivly in this thread on 12V issues http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...-144366-4.html

They are still working well and the improvement over the sealed beams is astounding. Like night and day
I don't know how you could go wrong with this upgrade. 80 bucks and a couple hours said n done. What I like is that I didnt add more components that would complicate matters when something needs troubleshooting. I don't have any idea of the quality of the set I bought and installed, none. There are quite a few different suppliers on Amazon and I didn't recognize any of the names. The price point was about the same across the board. So as far as longevity of the product is concerned I don't have a clue, but I'll risk $80 and find out. The quality of the light produced is amazing though, very bright. There are several 4x6 LED that are NOT DOT stamped or approved, these are. That was important to me. I'm not worried about being ticketed, I'm more concerned about the lights being DOT tested so they are not too bright for oncoming drivers.

We are about to head out for a couple months in the rig. They'll get a good test.
I think that these are really something worth consideration for all of us Classic owners.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mike,

If you haven't already done so now might be a good time to have the aiming of the lights checked and/or adjusted. On my old 310 the lights were apparently adjusted when the rear air bags were deflated because once you started the engine and the bags filled with air the angle of the lights changed and there was little light being aimed forward!

Anyway, something to think about now that you've enlightened the world....

Brad
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I need to have that done Brad. Ive never attempted it myself so I'll probably need to take it in to a shop. I am a bit concerned about aiming because these suckers are really bright. Looking forward to our first night drive. In all our travels Ive tried to schedule driving in daylight hours because of how bad the lights were. You know we travel in the winter a great deal and with the shortened daylight hours it gets a bit tricky. I don't like driving the car anymore at night much less the 310.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I know what you mean about driving at night. I changed to LED lights in my 2001 Ranger and the difference was AMAZING. No body ever blips their brights at me so they must be aligned ok but the night visibility with LEDs is simply amazing. I then switched my F250 over and my Argosy has them installed as well.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I need to have that done Brad. Ive never attempted it myself so I'll probably need to take it in to a shop. I am a bit concerned about aiming because these suckers are really bright. Looking forward to our first night drive. In all our travels Ive tried to schedule driving in daylight hours because of how bad the lights were. You know we travel in the winter a great deal and with the shortened daylight hours it gets a bit tricky. I don't like driving the car anymore at night much less the 310.
Post 21. Use the link.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I really doubt that 4x6 LED headlights, surely from China, were ever tested to be DOT approved.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I really doubt that 4x6 LED headlights, surely from China, were ever tested to be DOT approved.
Maybe but then again maybe not, & thats just Am-zon.

Look for the stamp.

Bob
Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Its very important to bypass the power going through these old rig's headlamp switches, as it will cause voltage drop, resistance, overheating, and eventually failure.

This is done by having a relay do the heavy lifting, and using the original headlamp wiring to trigger the relay.

There are kits out there from various vendors that will work with minimal mods.

For reference, the 4 headlamp setup on a 1987 Suburban or Pickup is identical to the 4 headlamp units on the Classic, and the wiring harness will be similar enough to adapt.
Here are a couple that I know of...

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30814?

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CCC4L.htm

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ht-relay-kits/

Aside from that, its easy to make a relay harness from scratch, following the many instructions online.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ing-relay-kit/
Old 11-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I guess there is only so much we can do as consumers. But in this case, they are DOT stamped and numbered. Whatever that means. Tested or not. Some on Amazon were not DOT stamped. In my search I only looked at those with the stamp....again, whatever that means. I guess I assume that means they have to meet some DOT guidelines and specs. I LIKE EM!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Its very important to bypass the power going through these old rig's headlamp switches, as it will cause voltage drop, resistance, overheating, and eventually failure.

This is done by having a relay do the heavy lifting, and using the original headlamp wiring to trigger the relay.

There are kits out there from various vendors that will work with minimal mods.

For reference, the 4 headlamp setup on a 1987 Suburban or Pickup is identical to the 4 headlamp units on the Classic, and the wiring harness will be similar enough to adapt.
Here are a couple that I know of...

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30814?

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CCC4L.htm

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ht-relay-kits/

Aside from that, its easy to make a relay harness from scratch, following the many instructions online.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ing-relay-kit/
My hope Steve is to reduce the load on the headlight switch through converting as many lights as possible to LEDs. I should have measured the load before I started converting to get a baseline but I didn't. Ive done all my running lights and now headlights. Haven't done dash or tail lights yet. I'd like to do those next.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Post 21. Use the link.
Do you have a thread link for that post? Is it about aiming?