Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #21
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
Measure the voltage at the headlamp. The difference in light output with incandescent is 80% from 11 to 13+.

So this difference may be as much due to Moho electrical system deterioration as to the more efficient LED.

Use an E-Code aiming chart transposed onto a wall. I've done that with every personal vehicle and Class 8 tractor the past twenty years. It's a noticeable difference.

See www.danielsternlighting.com for that link in the Tech section (which has other worthwhile projects).
__________________

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Don't forget the B/U lights, they were a big improvement on our Burb AND AS.

Bob
No doubt Bob. I already have taken care of the B/U lights but good point absolutely.
__________________

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,022
Images: 5
Brilliant in every respect. Iíll never forget driving our coach from Northern California to Houston. Took three weeks in March through deserted interstates and some backroads. Frankly, it was terrifying in places. I was driving on the other (wrong!) side of the road and couldnít see a thing.Iíd never driven anything bigger than a small van and the stock headlights seemed little better than a good torch.
Iím in for this upgrade. Would you mind reposting the link to the ones your purchased so that I can make sure I get the correct model.

Thanks
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
WayneG's Avatar
 
1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,082
Which headlight set did you end up buying?
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Measure the voltage at the headlamp. The difference in light output with incandescent is 80% from 11 to 13+.

So this difference may be as much due to Moho electrical system deterioration as to the more efficient LED.

Use an E-Code aiming chart transposed onto a wall. I've done that with every personal vehicle and Class 8 tractor the past twenty years. It's a noticeable difference.

See www.danielsternlighting.com for that link in the Tech section (which has other worthwhile projects).

I measured voltage at idle before installation of the new LEDS, 12.8-13.2
I was surprised it was that good. Installed a new headlight switch last year also.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Brilliant in every respect. Iíll never forget driving our coach from Northern California to Houston. Took three weeks in March through deserted interstates and some backroads. Frankly, it was terrifying in places. I was driving on the other (wrong!) side of the road and couldnít see a thing.Iíd never driven anything bigger than a small van and the stock headlights seemed little better than a good torch.
Iím in for this upgrade. Would you mind reposting the link to the ones your purchased so that I can make sure I get the correct model.

Thanks
Nick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Would you mind reposting the link to the ones your purchased so that I can make sure I get the correct model.

Thanks
Nick
Nick,

I might be wrong but if I remember correctly you need different bulbs in the UK than you do in the US. I thought the low or dipped beams were supposed to angle to the side of the road and that involves both the bulb inside and the glass housing.

At least that's how I thought the Triumph sports cars were set up. Possibly it's different now or I just don't understand how headlights are supposed to work!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Martin, do you want these in Peanut?
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 172
I love my LED headlights. Can't imagine being without them now! This is a worthwhile upgrade that everyone should consider.

We discussed mine briefly on my motor swap thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...-140290-2.html and more extensivly in this thread on 12V issues http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...-144366-4.html

They are still working well and the improvement over the sealed beams is astounding. Like night and day
__________________
1982 310 motorhome 502
Henniker New Hampshire
chiefair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
I love my LED headlights. Can't imagine being without them now! This is a worthwhile upgrade that everyone should consider.

We discussed mine briefly on my motor swap thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...-140290-2.html and more extensivly in this thread on 12V issues http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...-144366-4.html

They are still working well and the improvement over the sealed beams is astounding. Like night and day
I don't know how you could go wrong with this upgrade. 80 bucks and a couple hours said n done. What I like is that I didnt add more components that would complicate matters when something needs troubleshooting. I don't have any idea of the quality of the set I bought and installed, none. There are quite a few different suppliers on Amazon and I didn't recognize any of the names. The price point was about the same across the board. So as far as longevity of the product is concerned I don't have a clue, but I'll risk $80 and find out. The quality of the light produced is amazing though, very bright. There are several 4x6 LED that are NOT DOT stamped or approved, these are. That was important to me. I'm not worried about being ticketed, I'm more concerned about the lights being DOT tested so they are not too bright for oncoming drivers.

We are about to head out for a couple months in the rig. They'll get a good test.
I think that these are really something worth consideration for all of us Classic owners.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,140
Mike,

If you haven't already done so now might be a good time to have the aiming of the lights checked and/or adjusted. On my old 310 the lights were apparently adjusted when the rear air bags were deflated because once you started the engine and the bags filled with air the angle of the lights changed and there was little light being aimed forward!

Anyway, something to think about now that you've enlightened the world....

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
I need to have that done Brad. Ive never attempted it myself so I'll probably need to take it in to a shop. I am a bit concerned about aiming because these suckers are really bright. Looking forward to our first night drive. In all our travels Ive tried to schedule driving in daylight hours because of how bad the lights were. You know we travel in the winter a great deal and with the shortened daylight hours it gets a bit tricky. I don't like driving the car anymore at night much less the 310.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,140
I know what you mean about driving at night. I changed to LED lights in my 2001 Ranger and the difference was AMAZING. No body ever blips their brights at me so they must be aligned ok but the night visibility with LEDs is simply amazing. I then switched my F250 over and my Argosy has them installed as well.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #34
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I need to have that done Brad. Ive never attempted it myself so I'll probably need to take it in to a shop. I am a bit concerned about aiming because these suckers are really bright. Looking forward to our first night drive. In all our travels Ive tried to schedule driving in daylight hours because of how bad the lights were. You know we travel in the winter a great deal and with the shortened daylight hours it gets a bit tricky. I don't like driving the car anymore at night much less the 310.
Post 21. Use the link.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,319
I really doubt that 4x6 LED headlights, surely from China, were ever tested to be DOT approved.
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,150
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I really doubt that 4x6 LED headlights, surely from China, were ever tested to be DOT approved.
Maybe but then again maybe not, & thats just Am-zon.

Look for the stamp.

Bob
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"My sex life is like a Ferrari...I don't have a Ferrari."
Dino Longuini

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,587
Images: 1
Its very important to bypass the power going through these old rig's headlamp switches, as it will cause voltage drop, resistance, overheating, and eventually failure.

This is done by having a relay do the heavy lifting, and using the original headlamp wiring to trigger the relay.

There are kits out there from various vendors that will work with minimal mods.

For reference, the 4 headlamp setup on a 1987 Suburban or Pickup is identical to the 4 headlamp units on the Classic, and the wiring harness will be similar enough to adapt.
Here are a couple that I know of...

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30814?

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CCC4L.htm

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ht-relay-kits/

Aside from that, its easy to make a relay harness from scratch, following the many instructions online.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ing-relay-kit/
__________________
My name is Steve.... and I am an Alumaholic!
Working in my Garage is like playing TETRIS with Tools!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I really doubt that 4x6 LED headlights, surely from China, were ever tested to be DOT approved.
I guess there is only so much we can do as consumers. But in this case, they are DOT stamped and numbered. Whatever that means. Tested or not. Some on Amazon were not DOT stamped. In my search I only looked at those with the stamp....again, whatever that means. I guess I assume that means they have to meet some DOT guidelines and specs. I LIKE EM!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Its very important to bypass the power going through these old rig's headlamp switches, as it will cause voltage drop, resistance, overheating, and eventually failure.

This is done by having a relay do the heavy lifting, and using the original headlamp wiring to trigger the relay.

There are kits out there from various vendors that will work with minimal mods.

For reference, the 4 headlamp setup on a 1987 Suburban or Pickup is identical to the 4 headlamp units on the Classic, and the wiring harness will be similar enough to adapt.
Here are a couple that I know of...

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30814?

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CCC4L.htm

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ht-relay-kits/

Aside from that, its easy to make a relay harness from scratch, following the many instructions online.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ing-relay-kit/
My hope Steve is to reduce the load on the headlight switch through converting as many lights as possible to LEDs. I should have measured the load before I started converting to get a baseline but I didn't. Ive done all my running lights and now headlights. Haven't done dash or tail lights yet. I'd like to do those next.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Post 21. Use the link.
Do you have a thread link for that post? Is it about aiming?
__________________

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED Tow Vehicle to LED Trailer Problems murreywalker Hitches, Couplers & Balls 25 09-10-2012 03:42 PM
To LED or not to LED? SilverHoot Lights - Interior & Exterior 56 10-03-2011 12:15 PM
Clipper, Hella LED, Design Line Hella, LED Kit, Stop/turn LED masseyfarm Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes 1 12-15-2010 11:03 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.