Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Boise , Idaho
Isuzu alternator/vacuum pump

Alt quit, pulled and had checked, was told stator is bad and is n/a, was quoted $800.00 for a new alternator with vac pump attached, Is there any reason a guy couldn't throw on a 1 wire GM alternator and run an electric vacuum pump, this is on my 81 motorhome with the Isuzu diesel
Dean Rawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I seem to remember that was a GM alternator, not a Izuzu.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Think Mike is correct...

Pretty sure I read all about the alternator and vacuum pump being a Chevy/GM add on. But we're out on the road and the manual for our 81 280 TD is home.
-Ken
Old 06-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
The alternator is part #581200239 and the vacuum pump is part #519600001. Talk to Craig at Hamilton Engine Sales (503) 280-1353. They are in Portland, Oregon.

They are Isuzu and are not cheap but $800 seems more than a little bit too high. Maybe Craig can source a new or rebuilt stator, he's a good guy and knows these old engines.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
This is another part I am still researching in my effort to have spares of such things on the shelf. It does appear to be a Nikko alternator, and has GM and Isuzu numbers on it. There are certainly a lot of places selling the later alternators for about $125 with the vacuum pump. As far as I can see, the vacuum runs nothing but the automatic step. Does anyone know any different? I would certainly like to have something that is rated at more than 50 amps like the standard unit.

If I had a few days I would check around for an old-fashioned alternator shop that rewinds and repairs things. There is a good one in Gilroy, California (Gilroy Generator and Starter Exchange) but it's a little far for the OP...
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljosephson View Post
This is another part I am still researching in my effort to have spares of such things on the shelf. It does appear to be a Nikko alternator, and has GM and Isuzu numbers on it. There are certainly a lot of places selling the later alternators for about $125 with the vacuum pump. As far as I can see, the vacuum runs nothing but the automatic step. Does anyone know any different? I would certainly like to have something that is rated at more than 50 amps like the standard unit.

If I had a few days I would check around for an old-fashioned alternator shop that rewinds and repairs things. There is a good one in Gilroy, California (Gilroy Generator and Starter Exchange) but it's a little far for the OP...
I don't have the numbers in front of me but I would guess this alternator puts out way more than 50 amps. It is much larger and I'm sure heavier built than the GM unit. These are used on Isuzu trucks but you may have fun finding part numbers because the Isuzu industrial and truck numbers don't convert. You can mount and run any alternator that you can make fit. I would not use the over the counter GM unit, go for something heavy built with more capacity.

There should be many good shops that can rewind and rebuild alternators but with the remove and replace method of auto repair today those shops are getting to be harder to find.

By the way the vacuum also operates the cruise control, and controls for the dash air and heater.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I don't have the numbers in front of me but I would guess this alternator puts out way more than 50 amps. It is much larger and I'm sure heavier built than the GM unit. These are used on Isuzu trucks but you may have fun finding part numbers because the Isuzu industrial and truck numbers don't convert. You can mount and run any alternator that you can make fit. I would not use the over the counter GM unit, go for something heavy built with more capacity.
The rating, per the manual, is 50 amps. It looks beefier than anything GM, but that's what it says... and it is wise to be wary of the GM "105 amp" unit which (according to reports from local fire and ambulance folks) certainly cannot put out that current for any length of time.
Quote:
There should be many good shops that can rewind and rebuild alternators but with the remove and replace method of auto repair today those shops are getting to be harder to find.
That's surely so... that's why I posted about the guy in Gilroy who actually does rebuild and does a decent job of it.
Quote:

By the way the vacuum also operates the cruise control, and controls for the dash air and heater.

Cheers, Dan
On my 1983, that's not the case -- the cruise control and the dash air and heater are all manual, as if they were aftermarket.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Boise , Idaho
Isuzu alternator swap update/ more hurdles

After being quoted $800 for a new Isuzu alternator with vacuum pump, I decided to use a readily available GM alt. Fortunately for Dean his best friend is an machinist extraordanaire, so getting the wide belt , double groove pulley on the GM was easy, I built the mount and got her lined up in a few hours, wiring was a snap, another issue, I think the tach was triggered off old alt, as it doesn't work now will probably have to go with a mechanical drive tach, as far as the vacuum pump goes I tied the oil supply and return lines together, and will probably use a electric air compressor for a vacuum pump or break down and get an official electric vac pump, thank God my labor is cheap

Dean
P.S. If obama is the answer, how stupid was the question???
Dean Rawson is offline   Reply With Quote