Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I just returned from a short 80 mile trip all highway and had no vibration. The only thing which was different than before was that my black water tank was empty. I usually drive with it empty but for yucky reasons I rather not get into here I let it fill up so it could get good and digested and cleaned out; which it did. This trip it was empty again. Could this possibly have been the source of my vibration? Have I opened up a can of worms for responses?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fill 'er up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I just returned from a short 80 mile trip all highway and had no vibration. The only thing which was different than before was that my black water tank was empty. I usually drive with it empty but for yucky reasons I rather not get into here I let it fill up so it could get good and digested and cleaned out; which it did. This trip it was empty again. Could this possibly have been the source of my vibration? Have I opened up a can of worms for responses?
Well if that's the problem, you could easily confirm it by filling your black tank again (with plain old water) and taking Chummy out for a spin. If the vibe comes back you'll know - dump'er before you drive her!

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
can of worms, eh? I don't want to go there. But on the tank subject- I would wonder if the mounts are secure...If you do as stated above it shoudl tell the tale. Unless water weighs less...than well you know....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Swebster, thanks for the heads up on the tranny bolt. Makes a lot of sense to me. So when we take down the drive shaft we can also take a look at the tranny yoke.... the week after next.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Alan, You went there first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
can of worms, eh? I don't want to go there. But on the tank subject- I would wonder if the mounts are secure...If you do as stated above it shoudl tell the tale. Unless water weighs less...than well you know....
If it is a problem with the black tank having contents in it, why not fill it 2/3 or 3/4 of the way, and drive around with it sloshing.
And since you went there, remember what you see floating in the tank...if it floats, it is lighter than water...
Old 10-21-2005, 06:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well, you guys where right again.... or at least one of you was!
Got the bus back from the shop yesterday and the driveline parking brake/transmission yoke.... was the culpret. Everything is now tight!
Now it's on to the carb redo.
Thanks for all the insight.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Well, you guys where right again.... or at least one of you was!
Got the bus back from the shop yesterday and the driveline parking brake/transmission yoke.... was the culpret. Everything is now tight!
Now it's on to the carb redo.
Thanks for all the insight.
Glad we could help. Let us know next time you would like to go crawling around under your coach, dismantling things to see if they are broken, we can send you places you never knew existed!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Terry, I was under the bus...again today. I'm going to sling my ladder under the tail end. I saw this done last week when I stopped at a rest area. I don't want to put it in the back on my new floor, it'd be in the way and might scratch my new floor covering. I was also looking to see how much room I had and where I could hang the PVC pipe for the sewer hose storage. Going to pick that up next week at Camping World.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Terry, I was under the bus...again today. I'm going to sling my ladder under the tail end. I saw this done last week when I stopped at a rest area. I don't want to put it in the back on my new floor, it'd be in the way and might scratch my new floor covering. I was also looking to see how much room I had and where I could hang the PVC pipe for the sewer hose storage. Going to pick that up next week at Camping World.
Glen, a quick sugggestion. When you gather up the PVC to build your slinky storage spot, get the pieces you would need to make the opposite end unscrew. Then you can hose out the whole thing, and get rid of the unpleasant stuff that gathers in the tube out the other end, without fear of it splashing back on you.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Terry, I'd thought about using some drainage holes / vent holes anyway but having both ends open is very smart indeed. Getting the hose out of the storage compartment is most important. Hoping for the new toilet next week when in Myrtle Beach.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach