Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2002, 07:44 AM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Instrumentation/Dashboard redo

I have decided to bite the bullet and replace the 1976 P30 intrument cluster on my Argosy. I know I can get a new pre-made one from a company that does Winnebago remodels for around $1000.00. I am unwilling to spend that kind of money. I want to monitor all vitals but need some help and advice.

Are electronic temp gauges accurate enough or should I go with a bulb type that has a copper tube connected directly to the back of the gauge?

Is an amp meter a good idea? it seems to be alot of work to wire the Alt. thru the amp meter to get accurate readings.

I also want to monitor the trans temp, does anyone know where I can install a sending unit without having to pull the pan and drill a hole?

Lastly, I am trying to find an aftermarket speedometer that will accept the cable from my current speedometer, any suggestions?

Any reccomendations on additional systems I should monitor? I plan on Engine Temp, Trans Temp, Volts, Gas level, Speedo, Tach, Possibly an air pressure gauge for the fromt air bags, and a clock. I kicked around a monitor for the electric step as well as for storage bay doors, but I dont think I want to run that many wires the full length of the coach.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 09:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Dash and gages all new

Greetings Brett, I have done a few dash changes on several types of vehicles. There are two types of gages, as mechanical [with little bulb] and electrical. Some folks call electrical, electronic for some reason. I don't know any electronic gages other than airplanes where cost is not considered. The most important part of a dash makeover is the "plan". With out a plan all is confusion. My method is to make a paper pattern of the size and configuration required for placement of new layout. Using the paper layout of the dash, begin placing gages to meet your personal preferences. The tach and speedo are usually larger, about 3.375 or 3.500 od. These gages should be centered for quick reference. The steering wheel sometimes also needs to be changes for best view of gages. About all gage makers offer mechanical and electrical gages. My preference is for the electrical gages. Get a few hot rod car magazines and view the gage ads. There are several companies who make an transmission inline fitting to allow a temp gage sender with a good reading location and minimal labor. Of ten I use a single temp gage with a 2 pole switch that will indicate engine or trans temps. The gages I prefer are VDO, Iss Pro or Stewart Warner. Electrical speedos can be substituted for cable/mechanical drive units with a small generator adaptor. I make final dash from .062 Aircraft aluminium 6061 or ABS black plastic sheet .125 thick. All holes are made with a drill press or verticle mill turning very slow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash9.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	224