Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Incorrect Dash ac compressor installed

I've figured out what has been the root of my dash ac drive belt problems. The incorrect gm a6 compressor is installed. It has a single groove pulley and sits too far toward the radiator. It's way beyond shimming and grinding.

So now I'm wondering what ya'll have installed on your motorhome. Mine's a 1981, 454, with a bracket for a gm A6 compressor.

I'm wondering if a two grove pulley unit would work, using only the rear most pulley groove?
Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
I will check mine out . I own a 1995 LY and mine uses a 2 grove system and the belt is on the back grove I think. I check it out as soon I have a chance.
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
IPM- I have a 1988 290 Classic. I checked it out and have a two groove pully with the belt running in the aft groove. No problems, runs fine.

You must be on to something!

Bob of Bob and Molly
Old 08-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Me too

Same on my 1994 Classic and I had the dual system on my 1990 landyacht
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The A/6 has been around forever. The body has stayed almost unchaged BUT it has had many mounts over the years. It has a BUNCH of different clutch set ups as well. My guess is the brackets are correct but the compressor failed at some point and the compressor and clutch were swapped for the incorrect one.

If the compressor is good you might just try replacing the clutch assembly for one with the correct groove location. Autozone will lend you the tools to remove it and then just get an idea how far off the pully is and see if you can match up one with the correct groove. I am really surprised at how many with double groove ther are. the A/6 on the 454 in my sub is a single groove as has been the A/6's on several 350 powered GM cars and trucks I have owned.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
The A/6 has been around forever. The body has stayed almost unchaged BUT it has had many mounts over the years. It has a BUNCH of different clutch set ups as well. My guess is the brackets are correct but the compressor failed at some point and the compressor and clutch were swapped for the incorrect one.

If the compressor is good you might just try replacing the clutch assembly for one with the correct groove location. Autozone will lend you the tools to remove it and then just get an idea how far off the pully is and see if you can match up one with the correct groove. I am really surprised at how many with double groove ther are. the A/6 on the 454 in my sub is a single groove as has been the A/6's on several 350 powered GM cars and trucks I have owned.
What he said!
Autozone as far as I know, doesn't have the A/C clutch removing and installing tools available, they want you to buy a whole compressor. If you can get it down here, I will be happy to change it out, but it's a long, hot drive from Virginia to South Florida this time of year.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Thanx ya'll,

The grove is very close to 5/8 inch too far forward. And it's almost in perfect alignment with all other pulleys closest to radiator (alternator belt location).

I stuck a 60.5" ac belt on those pulleys and the ac compressor (left alternator out) and it works.

Now the alternator is running on the middle pullies and yea the belt is angled back from the alternator but it's not jumping off and hopefully the gates belt will last awhile.

Long term I'm either going to have to trim the alternator mount down or replace the AC compressor or clutch pulley.

Mike