Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

How to remove steering dampner? P30

I am replacing the front shocks and the steering dampner on my 79 Excella with some Bilsteens. I got the old shocks off with alot of effort, but I need some ideas on how to remove the tapered end of the old dampner from the pitman arm. It does not want to come out.
What is the correct procedure and tool?
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

"Pickle fork"

Have you tried a Pickle fork, often used for separation of ball joints. Another method which I have had success with is a 2 # hammer behind the "stuck" connection and tapping the front side with another 2 # hammer, it just pops out

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
I am replacing the front shocks and the steering dampner on my 79 Excella with some Bilsteens. I got the old shocks off with alot of effort, but I need some ideas on how to remove the tapered end of the old dampner from the pitman arm. It does not want to come out.
What is the correct procedure and tool?
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I will find my pickle fork and give it a try.
I looking up front air springs to replace my bad ones, have you ever done this job?
It looks like a small pain, but I will be doing it soon, I will also be cleaning things up, greasing, etc...
Thanks
Old 11-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I did the front bags this summer. Not as bad of a job as you might think. Dennis (87MH) posted a procedure on the forum which saved me a lot of time. Removing the old bags involves cutting out the bottom schrader valve then making spiral cuts from the top to the bottom and pulling the old bag through the hole in the bottom of the lower A-arm. Seems like a good pair os vice grips and some dish soap helped.

Installing basically involves collapsing the new bags and holding them with worm gear clamps (like for your radiator hoses). Then sliding up through the hold, dropping each band clamp as you go. Partially inflate, move into final position then fill.

Do a search on the forum for front air bags and you'll find the procedure.

One tip: the PO ran a T line to a pressure gauge and a dash mounted schrader valve. I can always see the front bag pressure and adding air is a simple as hooking up my 12V compressor from the cockpit. Very easy and way cheaper then those auto fill systems from CW.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I have another question.

on the drivers side exhaust manifold there is a small threaded hole (about 1/8 inch?) on the second boss (from the front to back) even with the spark plugs, any ideas what this hole was for? any idea what size threads it is so I can go get a bolt to close it?
Exhaust is exiting this hole while running and creating a really nice blowtorch effect! Cool huh? Not.

It is a 1979 454 (built in 1978)

PS: My description of the size and location while close could be off a little as I am not near the motorhome and am describing it from memory.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Not sure on the little 1/8" "plug" - the flames sounds pretty cool and dangerous.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I also beat the mess out of the steering damper getting it off. Also-
Collapsing it by turning the steering wheel helped me to align when mounting the new one.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
I have another question.

on the drivers side exhaust manifold there is a small threaded hole (about 1/8 inch?) on the second boss
Only 1 cylinder? If all cylinders it is probably for the AIR system.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Are you sure it's on the driverside? Some exhaust man. used to be the sorce for heat to the carbs. choke . There was a tube that passed through the exhaust man. that had a tendency to burn out over time . If thats the case you'll find you have another exhaust leak on the underside of the man. oposite the one you see. Later they went to electric chokes but some engines were produced with the old style mans. untill they were used up. Also some replacement mans. came that way so you could use them on different year models. If thats the case and your not using that port just thead a self threading bolt in it to stop the leak. There is a replacement tube you can install if you need it for your choke. It's almost imposable to put it in with the man. on the engine. Hope that helps-----Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Maybe Exhaust temp. gauge. My Deisel use a 1/4 hole for its sender.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote