Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Question How To: Remove Mirrors

I need to remove both the driver and passenger side mirrors so I can strip off the old failing paint on the 345. It looks like I need to remove the driver and passenger interior side panels (drill out rivets, unscrew stuff, disconnect chair controls, etc.) before I can gain access to the back side of the mirror mounts.

I was wondering if anyone has been here before and had any tips or tricks for me before I get too deep into this one.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Mine had a backing plate with weldnuts for the mirrors. Pull the inner panels and all will be revealed (it's not that bad, might help to pull the seats off the risers).

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Took awhile to find a picture, but in the upper left hand is a bare metal spot, this is where the backing plate was attached.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	March 5, 2001.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	9322  
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Ahah!

John - you amaze me with your ability to recall this stuff (and find a picture of it to boot!)

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steven,

On my 76 the backing plate was riveted to the backside of the outer skin. The holes were tapped into the plate and there were no backing nuts to remove. The screws were a lot like the screws that are holding the bumper on, etc. If you need a picture of one of the screws I have a few extra from my Ramco upgrade.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
if you are just removing the paint, you can blue tape the mirror and remove paint around the base. I would wrap a few layers around and use heavy brown painters paper to cover the rest.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:41 AM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Alan,
Well, I'm, uhm, err, polishing around them so they need to come off in order for it to look right.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up Ramco Mirrors

I am going to start installing my mirrors tomorrow. I will take pictures and post them as I go. The info on this post is already pretty helpful. Hope I don't have to remove the seats.

Here goes! I was an aircraft mechanic in a former life. Long time ago though.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jim,
I'm looking foward to seeing how to do this project. New mirrors would be a nice improvement on the 345, especially on the passenger side where it's hard to see down the coach.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I spoke to Ramco at one point and they said if I was willing to wait they would drill the bases for our existing holes and mounting points. This would allow mounting over the original holes and use the backing plates. There was no limit on what models I could choose for this as long as the mirror was a decent fit. I have this on my upgrade list. I added the Ramcos to my 76 and the added view-ability was fantastic!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #11
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Question Covering Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I spoke to Ramco at one point and they said if I was willing to wait they would drill the bases for our existing holes and mounting points. This would allow mounting over the original holes and use the backing plates.
In another thread I learned that the Ramco mounts covered the old holes quite nicely. I'll let you know.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Took awhile to find a picture, but in the upper left hand is a bare metal spot, this is where the backing plate was attached.

John
Whasup with your id? Are you in Hawaii or dreaming about it?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking Ramco Mirrors

Got started today and it was kinda cold. About 29 degrees and windy, but I have a 40 x 60 pole barn so I am inside although not heated. Took the old mirrors off with no problem and saved all the parts just in case. Made a cardboard template of the base of the new Ramco mirrors, (wish they furnished one), and positioned it over the old holes from the old mirrors. It covers very well. I will have to do a little touch up paint just under the mount, but not much.

I learned very quickly that the re-inforced area for the mirrors is really hard material. I had to walk back to my shop and get my best drill bits to drill it. The cheap ones I had out there wouldn't cut it. There is enough back plate to mount the new mirrors if you are just careful to stay on the plate.

I drilled a hole in the center and enlarged it and fed in a plastic snake to see where it would end up. It came out under the dash so I needn't pull out the side panels. Good news!! I can just tape the wires to the snake and pull them through.

I will mount the switch just under the seat control switches. There is room and it will be convenient as well. I can access the area by removing the panel that holds the ash tray.

I saved the mounting bolts from the old mirrors. Ramco sends some heavy sheet metal screws, but I thought the old ones were threaded in and seem stronger. I drilled the holes and used a 7/32 tap and the old screws fit right in and hold solidly. The backing plates are about 3/8 of an inch thick and really solid.

I removed the mirrors from the arm by backing out the allen screws and removed the turn signal light from the arm so I could mount the arms and see how they fit. Worked out nice.

I will have to run the wires for the right side up through the front of the firewall. I can do that by drilling a small hole through the firewall and routing the wire up along the radiator.

Tomorrow I will work on the left side. I can already tell that this will make a significant difference. These mirrors are much larger and stand out farther.

Hope it doesn't get any colder!!

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I did take pictures and will upload some tomorrow morning.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Smile PicturesThat I promised!

Here are pictures that show 1. spot where old mirrors were positioned where there is no paint, 2. New arm installed showing hole where cb cable came out, haven't figured out where to mount cb antenae yet, 3. view of arm showing where I will have to touch up paint.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mirror2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	18139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror5.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	18140  

Name:	Mirror6.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	18141  

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Cool Installing new mirrors:

Has anyone else noticed this? When I post a reply, if I type in the header first, then I cannot switch to the body block of the message and type. I have to type the body first and then the header to make it workl.

Okay, I got the left side mirror installed yesterday and it looks great. I was able to tap the holes with my 7/32 tap and use the bolts from the original mirrors. Much stronger! I am including pictures.

I have now installed the right side mirror and have snaked the wires using a piece of plastic weed trimmer line so as not to short something out. I have the wires already run to the drivers side of the dash board. Today I will install the switch box and wire it all up. One problem though!! It is snowing and turning a lot colder.

I wanted to move the right side mirror further to the rear and was able to move it maybe half an inch. The backing plate doesn't run back far enough. I don't know how they attached that plate, but it is thick and strong and can't be moved. That will leave the mirror partially blocked by the windshield post. Not too bad though.

I am posting pictures of the old right side mirror so one can see the improvement. Looks a lot better and the view from the drivers seat is very much improved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mirror8.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	18158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror9.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	18159  

Name:	Mirror10.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	18160  

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Cool Turned Really Cold.

On Friday I worked on the system inside the motorhome. I cut a hole in the console beneath the power seat control an inch and a half square to mount the switch in, and ran all the wires. I hooked up to power and tried the mirrors and they worked great.

Meanwhile it has turned cold here in Minnesooota and I had to have some heat. We had inherited a little 1500 watt heater from the PO, so I plugged it in. I was surprised how much heat it gave. I was able to work without my coat or gloves very comfortably. It got down to 8 degrees out here in the woods that night. I did not want to fire up the furnace in the building even though the big doors were open. Not enough ventilation in there.

I have shut down for the Super Bowl weekend now and will resume on Monday. I will say that the difference in the view of the mirrors is dramatic. I will take pictures of old mirrors in place and then same view with new mirrors. I am very happy with them.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #18
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jim,
Nice looking installation. They look like they'll be a major improvement over the old mirrors. I have the Velvac (power, heated, etc) but they don't extend our as much as those Ramcos. I'm anxious to hear about how they perform on the road - once it warms up a bit of course!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Talking Good View

Thanks! They do extend out a ways so I'll need to careful putting it into and out of the shed. I won't be getting her out for a couple months yet though. My Mother is in a Nursing Home and I am all that is left to take her goodies and such, so we can't go anyplace this Winter. Wife is too busy with her career anyway.

A side note. I don't winterize with anti-freeze anymore. Gotten lots of critisizm, but I use the cheapest Vodka I can buy. Have been using it for years now. Andy told me once in a post that it would dissolve all the plastic connections, but it hasn't. No after taste, and it sanitizes at the same time.
I suppose if one wanted to, one could have a party flushing it out of the lines in the spring as well. Probably pretty stale by then though.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Can I help you de-winterize? I'll bring the tonic and limes