Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Heat resistant plug wires

I recently bought a set of Accel spiral core- heat resistant plug wires. Although my current set was in use only a little over 18 months, they were lower priced NAPA wires, and I worried that the heat would kill them.
Sure enough when I pulled them off, two were charcoal at the ends. Not yet burnt to the point of no spark...but soon....probably on my next Fla run.

My question is on the distributor cover that the top ends of the wires "snap" into...they don't seem to want to snap into it . It's on but not as secure as it was with the old set. Isn't this just aesthetic anyway? If so its probably ok.
Also one spark plug wire passed through a small metal squared off ring, with a little wire wrapped around it..what is this thing? Something to do with the tach/rpm? Just guessing here.
Anyway what a great day in Atlanta for laying on the ground under the AS...75 and breezy
Wish the rally was this weekend!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Alan,

The purpose of the retainer is to keep the distributor end of the plug wires in their firing order sequence. This is convenient for distributor and/or cap removal, but it doesn't affect mechanical or electrical engine performance. One drawback to this system is that sometimes an inexperienced mechanic will not properly seat the retainer properly and this can cause arcing and thus engine misfire. Most other vehicle manufacturers don't use this system.

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks, kinda what I thought... The new wires don't seat right in the holes, but its tight enough to stay on.
I use a number of those little plastic wire loom thingies to keep distance between the wires, and a couple of the plastic wires covers for those that seem too close together.
After a test drive, I actually noticed better performance. Surprising to me, as the old wires weren't that old.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I ran into the same thing when I went to Moroso wires on my '77 Chevy K5 Blazer. I just left the ring off and never had a problem.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote