Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
na , na
glow plug question?

We are inspecting a 1983 310 airstream with hopes of purchasing it. When I depress the glow plug button the glow plug indicator does not come on. The mechanic who is working for the owners says that the glow plugs test out, that is have the correct amount of resistance. He further says the glow plugs and glow plug indicator are not coming on because there is a temp sensor that has to be below a certain temp. for the glow plugs to work. Can anyone tell me if the “sensor” he is referring to is to prevent using the glow plugs when its warm or to limit the glow plugs from overheating and burning out. Or does this “sensor” have a different function?
Rick West
sailhighc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The temp sensor will keep the glow plugs from cycling when the temp is above, say, 70 degrees. If the temp is above that, all the button pressing in the world won't make them come on. They SHOULD come on for a second when you first turn the key on, with the engine off. If not, suspect either the thermotimer unit (sensor), or the glow plug relay.
If you get a good enough deal on the unit, a simple Ford starter solenoid and push button starter switch will engage the glow plugs. That is, if you don't want to have the glow plug circuit repaired.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
the only thing I will add to over63s reply is that you do not want to hold the push button in too long on one heating as the glow plugs can overheat and burn out .Pick up a good shop manual if you buy the coach ,not chiltons ,but
haynes or a factory manual and put in a new temp sensor .A cautionary
note ,especially if the glow plugs don't light ,never ever ever spray starting fliud in a diesel as a broken crankshaft or starter bolts shearing off due to the kick back are a promised result .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
A cautionary note, especially if the glow plugs don't light ,never ever ever spray starting fliud in a diesel as a broken crankshaft or starter bolts shearing off due to the kick back are a promised result .
How about WD-40?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
How about WD-40?
Why would you consider WD-40?
Diesel fuel and air.
Everything else is just combustion.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
wd -40 works fine ,starting fluid has a volatile combustion rate and ignites even in low compression engines ,thats why it works well .the starting fluid also breaks the ends of the glow plugs also ,a sure sign someone tried it .
The why of wd-40 is when your desparate and you cannot get the diesel to fire ,it will work ,but of course if the components are performing the proper job ,you wouldn't need it .The 6.9 and 7.3 fords are a bear to fire if you change the fuel filter when the engine is cold or an isuzu NPR for that matter.
Best to warm the engine up so it will fire quickly .a 6.2 GM with the fuel filter
replaced on the rear top of the intake will not run unless you fill the filter first with diesel or automatic transmission fluid (yes thats correct) ,works great and does no harm to the engine .ATF has a flash point to it, like if it spills on a hot exhaust manifold it can burst into flames ,happend once to me many years ago ,that was a big surprise I'll tell you .But it will ignite and can be a substitute for diesel in a pinch for priming the fuel filter ,obviousely not to
go in the fuel tank though .I used this method on a 6.2 chevy van some years ago ,changed a faulty mechanical pump (customers van ) could not get a prime to the fuel filter ,(changed with the pump) so did the ATF prime and
2 cranks of the starter and it was running right now ,so a good tip to use.
I like to add an inline GM lift pump (electric prime pump) to the ford 6.9 7.3
non powerstroke engines .It gets the injection pump primed quickly at all times, these diesels develope air leaks at times resulting in fuel siphoning
back to the tank overnight or after sitting all day and the mechanical pump
is pretty weak at best .Ok Im going on here sorry about that .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I find that singing the line from the childrens song, "Glow little glow plug, glimmer, glimmer" gives the little glow plugs just the right amount of time to reach optimum glimmer.

Michael

PS, I'm begining to think that there might be something wrong with me
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
Why would you consider WD-40?
Diesel fuel and air.
Everything else is just combustion.

R
I use WD40 in my diesel. WD40 is less volatile than starting fluid (ether), wich is highly explosive.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
I find that singing the line from the childrens song, "Glow little glow plug, glimmer, glimmer" gives the little glow plugs just the right amount of time to reach optimum glimmer.

Michael

Watever works for you to hold the little button long enough, but not too long.
I count five seconds if temps are over 50 degrees on a cold engine, and the same through ten seconds for temps below 50.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Diesel info

Primarily for Duramax Diesel...but has info pertaining to all motors.

This is a great source of info for all of us using diesel for a tow vehicle.

My recent diesel motor failure to start problem was not found on the trouble shooting checklists....Squirrel climbed into the motor compartment during recent cold weather and chewed thru the wiring bundle.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
On our diesels, really as long as the plugs check out, it should be fine. The light can be fickle.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote