Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
While you are replacing the fuel pump. Also replace the fuel line.

They age out and do frustrating things like delaminate and plug itself up.
Yep, part of the plan.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Well, finally had a nice day. Dropped the generator and replaced the fuel pump with a Carter model# 4070P pump. Same exact unit that Onan used but sell for over $200. Only paid ~$55. Fuel pressure now 6psi on startup and steady for about an hour but does drop to around 4psi over that time. The old pump would run at 3psi for about 15 minutes and then just drop to zero.

Still plan to do the fuel tank hoses but not as much of an emergency now.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Well, finally had a nice day. Dropped the generator and replaced the fuel pump with a Carter model# 4070P pump. Same exact unit that Onan used but sell for over $200. Only paid ~$55. Fuel pressure now 6psi on startup and steady for about an hour but does drop to around 4psi over that time. The old pump would run at 3psi for about 15 minutes and then just drop to zero.

Still plan to do the fuel tank hoses but not as much of an emergency now.
Hi - a bit late to this tread - hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

I have a similar issue (no fuel coming though the line to the generator). The line is fine up to the main fuel tank, but I can't trace it very well after that - is the generator fuel pump a different pump to the main engine fuel pump (I assumed it was)... anyway, I can't see a pump anywhere (325 classic MH).

Any pointers? I'm getting the feeling it's on top of the tank.. which will means removing 40 gallons of fuel.. and dropping it, the fun never stops THX, Pete Mc
Shinytoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The generator fuel pump is indeed separate from the main engine fuel pump. If your generator is an Onan then the pump is located on the generator itself.

My problem turned out to be a bad fuel pump and this is a common problem. One thing I would recommend is first to disconnect the fuel line from the generator and see if you can syphon fuel out from there. If you can get fuel to flow then the problem is most likely the generator fuel pump. Replacing the pump may require you to drop the generator. At least it did on mine. On the plus side, it would be a good time to clean the carb, replace the air filter and clean the slip rings if you have them.

Generators require regular maintenance. Make sure you run the generator under load at least once a month, check the oil regularly and replace the oil filter every couple hundred hours.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Kohler

Quote:
The generator fuel pump is indeed separate from the main engine fuel pump. If your generator is an Onan then the pump is located on the generator itself.
Hi - unfortunately (or fortunately..) I have a 7kW Kohler - anyone know where the fuel pump for that is?

Cheers-
Pete
Old 06-15-2021, 05:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Most generators have their own fuel pump located inside the generator itself. Here is a link to a Kohler generator forum that would be of great assistance. You'll need to register with Smokstack and provide the forum members with the model and serial number of your generator, but these guys really know their stuff when it comes to generators.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forum...generators.25/
Old 06-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Most generators have their own fuel pump located inside the generator itself. Here is a link to a Kohler generator forum that would be of great assistance. You'll need to register with Smokstack and provide the forum members with the model and serial number of your generator, but these guys really know their stuff when it comes to generators.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forum...generators.25/

Perfect!! Thank you!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Hi - is this the fuel pump... I was being blind and looking toward the tank so missed it altogether duh... part of the confusion was I couldn't blow back though the tube to the tank so though there was a blockage somewhere.

Now that it's spotted I assume 12v. Is there a replacement that is known with the right pressure? I will check the existing pump either way. I'm just super glad I got her running as the PO said it was duff.

Thanks -
Pete Mc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FE77C36-DD3B-46C7-8177-2DB363DA3DA9_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	397981  
Old 06-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Yep, that's the fuel pump. Check to make sure it has 12V when starting. At least yours is easy to get to. On mine I have to drop the genset to get to it.

Any fuel pump that provides the correct amount of fuel pressure should work, but make sure you know what the fuel pressure should be. Too much and you may over drive the float seat. Too little and you can starve the engine. Usually it's around 4-6 psi but not sure with your particular generator. The link I provided will guide you to people who should know.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Gainesville , Florida
Working on it

Quote:
Yep, that's the fuel pump. Check to make sure it has 12V when starting. At least yours is easy to get to. On mine I have to drop the genset to get to it.

Any fuel pump that provides the correct amount of fuel pressure should work, but make sure you know what the fuel pressure should be. Too much and you may over drive the float seat. Too little and you can starve the engine. Usually it's around 4-6 psi but not sure with your particular generator. The link I provided will guide you to people who should know.
Thanks - I set up an account and posted the Q - hopefully some joy. If not I start playing with pumps
Old 06-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I would start with making sure you have 12V at the pump when cranking/running. I would also check to make sure you can syphon fuel out from where the filter is connected.

If you don't have voltage at the pump then there's no reason to look for a replacement until you've identified why.

If you can syphon fuel out the fuel inlet to the pump, then you have issues up stream.

Keep in mind that you need to have at least 1/4 tank of fuel in the main tank before you will get any fuel to the generator. The main tank dip tube is shorter than the main engine tube so the generator can't leave you stranded.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytoaster View Post
Thanks - I set up an account and posted the Q - hopefully some joy. If not I start playing with pumps
I may have missed the info in previous posts but that looks like Kohler generator. Assuming it is, it may have a fuel shutoff solenoid mounted up near the carburetor. If it is present the fuel shutoff solenoid connects directly to the ignition coil.

What I found on my Kohler was the shutoff solenoid had gone bad and was causing the voltage at the coil to drop real low while trying to start. The low voltage kept the generator from starting. Once I disconnected (and later removed) the shutoff solenoid my starting problems went away.

If you don't have a fuel shutoff solenoid you can ignore the above

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:00 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I may have missed the info in previous posts but that looks like Kohler generator. Assuming it is, it may have a fuel shutoff solenoid mounted up near the carburetor. If it is present the fuel shutoff solenoid connects directly to the ignition coil.

What I found on my Kohler was the shutoff solenoid had gone bad and was causing the voltage at the coil to drop real low while trying to start. The low voltage kept the generator from starting. Once I disconnected (and later removed) the shutoff solenoid my starting problems went away.

Brad
Yep, Onan's also have the same shutoff solenoid.

I would not recommend totally removing the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, then replace it. The purpose of the solenoid is to not allow syphoning gas to continue to a leaking carburetor float while the generator is not running. The result would be a totally flooded engine (cylinders and crankcase) and a very serious fire hazard. A leaking float valve is very common.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Yep, Onan's also have the same shutoff solenoid.

I would not recommend totally removing the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, then replace it. The purpose of the solenoid is to not allow syphoning gas to continue to a leaking carburetor float while the generator is not running. The result would be a totally flooded engine (cylinders and crankcase) and a very serious fire hazard. A leaking float valve is very common.
Not much you can do when you can't get replacement parts.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
There are plenty of fuel cutoff solenoids available. Worst case would be to add a manual shutoff valve but that would require you to remember to turn it off when not in use.

Just do a search on gasoline shutoff valve. It needs to be 12V and normally closed.

Here's one on eBay but there all over the place. Doesn't have to be a Kohler specific brand:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22324792724...RoCgM8QAvD_BwE
Old 06-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
By the way, this is the exact replacement for my Onan Marquis 7000 that in my 1992 AS Landyacht 36'.

https://www.amazon.com/Carter-P4070-...TSBN8TA53KX0K9

The Onan part is over $200 and was made by Carter. This is an exact drop in replacement. Should work on any generator that is 12V powered and needs 4-6psi fuel pressure. This is a rotary vein pump and they're pretty bullet proof.

Just make sure that you put a filter inline with the inlet of the pump to protect it from any debris that may come it's way. That's usually the cause of failure in most cases and was in my case. The pump would still pump but would overheat and lock up after 20-30 minutes. Replaced pump and all is well.