Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question Gear Vendors Success/Advice

I would like to hear from anyone who has put a Gear Vendors Over/Under drive on your MoHo with a factory 3-speed automatic. I have a 1989 370 with the Ford 460 and C6 3-speed automatic. Since the axle is a 5.29, and a Gillig at that, the real solution to getting highway speeds without over revving the engine seems to be an overdrive. As things now stand I have to stay below 60 mph to keep the engine at 3,000 rpms. If any of you have actually made this conversion I would love to hear from you.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Tim. I installed one for my neighbor in a 1987 S.O.B with a Ford 460 and a C6 transmission about 3 years ago. Installation was no problem. I had the drive shaft shortend and balanced (I called the vender for the amount). The results after a cross country trip was 1 mile increase per gallon and a remarkable reduction in engine noise. I witnessed the difference in the engine noise but I didn't calculate the MPG. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nye Thatcher
Tim. I installed one for my neighbor in a 1987 S.O.B with a Ford 460 and a C6 transmission about 3 years ago. Installation was no problem. I had the drive shaft shortend and balanced (I called the vender for the amount). The results after a cross country trip was 1 mile increase per gallon and a remarkable reduction in engine noise. I witnessed the difference in the engine noise but I didn't calculate the MPG. Good luck.
Nye,

Thanks for this. That's what I was hoping to hear - experiences from some folks who have done this. I'm not as concerned about gas mileage (although that would be nice ), but the gearing in the 370 is so low that today's highway speeds are simply too much for the engine revs. I hadn't thought about noise though. My rig's fairly quiet once I get up to about 45, but before that, all the fan and intake sucking can make me wonder . I appreciate your sharing this.

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote