Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2006, 05:39 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Told 'ya! Knew you could do it!!! You can upload all at once.

Now do it again before you forget how you got there!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:43 PM   #122
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Told 'ya! Knew you could do it!!! You can upload all at once.

Now do it again before you forget how you got there!
Glen,

Seriously, I think the problem all along was the pop-up blocker. Apparently, it saw the attachments as pop-ups and blocked them. I really didn't do anything different the last time, just kept doing what you had told me. See, I really can follow directions .

Thanks again,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #123
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Love the side emblem....very nice.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #124
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Love the side emblem....very nice.
ALMOST worth the price of the whole unit !
AIR # 5648
Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #125
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
ALMOST worth the price of the whole unit !
For the price, it should be gold-plated, instead of just gold-backed...
Old 08-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
For the price, it should be gold-plated, instead of just gold-backed...
Absolutely! And a whole lot larger, too .
AIR # 5648
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #127
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
And speaking of gold plated...............

Shop informs me that the gearvendors unit and the exhaust mods required to install the headers with my current stock exhaust are trying to occupy the same space. Consequently, I have told them to install a crossover dual exhaust, for lack of an alternative.

Engine will undoubtredly breathe better. I may not--it depends on the altitude of the final reckoning.

Since they now have the Zeppelin apart, and on the lift, I may actually get it back this week!!!

Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
So Rob, why not re-route the exhaust? There should be lots of options both length and width wise to get the job done. That's why they made those bending machines.
My Headmans hang low enough at the collector/reducers that I could have taken them anywhere. Sometimes the existing exhaust just has to go... Flowmaster 70's and a bit of new pipe did the trick for my solution.
Waiting once again for your results with the before and after numbers.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-31-2006, 05:55 AM   #129
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
And speaking of gold plated...............

Shop informs me that the gearvendors unit and the exhaust mods required to install the headers with my current stock exhaust are trying to occupy the same space. Consequently, I have told them to install a crossover dual exhaust, for lack of an alternative.

Engine will undoubtredly breathe better. I may not--it depends on the altitude of the final reckoning.

Since they now have the Zeppelin apart, and on the lift, I may actually get it back this week!!!

Rob
Rob,

Other than the extra cost , I have to agree with Glen on the exhaust issue. My Blimp has the factory dual exhaust set-up, no crossover, and no modifications from the original. Are you saying your coach did not have dual exhaust? Are you altering your exhaust with after-market things, or has it already been done? (You may have mentioned this before, but my memory isn't what it used to be, and never was ). Anyway, I think you'll be fine with the duals, assuming you had a single before. Even if not, re-routing shouldn't be an issue. They had to cut part of a cross brace to fit the drive shaft brake on mine. Did a great job of rounding it so I still have the strength, but get the clearance the brake needed.

Hang in there , and keep us posted.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #130
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Rob,

Other than the extra cost , I have to agree with Glen on the exhaust issue. My Blimp has the factory dual exhaust set-up, no crossover, and no modifications from the original. Are you saying your coach did not have dual exhaust? Are you altering your exhaust with after-market things, or has it already been done? (You may have mentioned this before, but my memory isn't what it used to be, and never was ). Anyway, I think you'll be fine with the duals, assuming you had a single before. Even if not, re-routing shouldn't be an issue. They had to cut part of a cross brace to fit the drive shaft brake on mine. Did a great job of rounding it so I still have the strength, but get the clearance the brake needed.

Hang in there , and keep us posted.
I Think the new duals will be OK. I had what I believe to be the factory installed single exhaust with a catalytic converter, and a Y just behind the trans. The new exhaust will re-route everything outboard the trans. I may be wrong about the crossover--it doesn't really matter to me, as long as whatever they do works. It will do away with the catalytic converter, which is not required in MD for MH.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:34 PM   #131
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
I Think the new duals will be OK. I had what I believe to be the factory installed single exhaust with a catalytic converter, and a Y just behind the trans. The new exhaust will re-route everything outboard the trans. I may be wrong about the crossover--it doesn't really matter to me, as long as whatever they do works. It will do away with the catalytic converter, which is not required in MD for MH.
That makes sense now. My Blimp never had a converter, and came with the duals. There's actually a diagram in the manual that shows it correctly . You should be even more pleased with your GV with the addition of the duals and elimination of the converter. Keep us posted. I'm anxiously waiting to see what you think .

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 09-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #132
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Zeppelin (91 350) is back!

GV
Hedman headers
new dual exhaust
new trans filter & fluid
new differential oil
new spark plugs

Wife loves to drive the GV!!!

55mph @ 2700rpm; 60mph @ 2800rpm. Runs a little cooler. Has a bit more power. Exhaust a bit more NOISY (no cats! Lets rumble!!).

THE BILL:
Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Zep, welcome back!! What were the before numbers? Do you know what you rear end ratio is?? 4:56 or 4:10??
What did you get for mufflers??
Mine isn't so loud as it is BIG, now i've gotta say when i open the throtle and the vac hits 5 it's loud...er Kinda puts the kids with therr wide open rice burners to shame.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 09-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #134
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Mine isn't so loud as it is BIG, now i've gotta say when i open the throtle and the vac hits 5 it's loud...er Kinda puts the kids with therr wide open rice burners to shame.
You can watch the speedometer rotating clockwise almost as fast as the fuel gauge rotates counterclockwise.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #135
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Zeppelin (91 350) is back!

GV
Hedman headers
new dual exhaust
new trans filter & fluid
new differential oil
new spark plugs

Wife loves to drive the GV!!!

55mph @ 2700rpm; 60mph @ 2800rpm. Runs a little cooler. Has a bit more power. Exhaust a bit more NOISY (no cats! Lets rumble!!).

THE BILL:
Rob,

Just got in from a weekend short camping trip in the Blimp. Glad you were able to get yours back so fast. The bill is the rough part , but I'm absolutely convinced you won' be sorry. I'm just very puzzled by your rpm figures . My axle is a 5.29. I was running rpms of 3000 @ 55 before the GV. Coming in today, I verified again that I was turning just @ 2200 rpms at 55 - a drop of 800 rpms - right in line with the .78 ratio that all GV overdrives give you. At 60 today I was getting about 2300-2400 rpms vs 3300 before. Your numbers are considerably higher, and I can't quite figure it out . You should be getting lower rpms than I get unless there's something unusual about your axle ratio - and it definitely couldn't be LOWER than my 5.29 .
Our outside temps today were low 80s, I ran the dash AC, and temps ran @ 180 @ 55 and 60. Before GV, I ran consistently above 200, but I've also put in a 160 degree thermostat. My exhaust is loud, but it does impress people at stop lights . Wish my wife would drive the Blimp, but perhaps I'm better off that she's afraid of that 37' of aluminum .

What were your figures before the GV install? I'm really puzzled by your rpms .

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 09-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
You can watch the speedometer rotating clockwise almost as fast as the fuel gauge rotates counterclockwise.
I haven't had a good test run on the fuel consumption since the GV install, but it can't be much worse than before . I'll take anything above the 6.6 I was getting with the pre-GV setup . Got to watch Glen with his Funeral Coach - there's an intimidation factor when you go up against a Funeral Coach at the red light . Most people are just amazed my 370 is able to keep up with them off the line. Of course, they don't know about the 5.29 drag racing gear I've got in there .
AIR # 5648
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
I will have a look at the rear end on Friday or Saturday and report in. As long as it isn't raining cats and dogs. And that we have power--to charge flashlight batteries.

My report does not presume that my dash tach is correct. I only report what it says.........and that it is better than it was. The real issue is fuel economy, decreased wear and tear, etc., and you will excuse me if I wait a few days before filling up, as fuel prices have come down almost .40 a gallon in the last 3 days in MD and I expect will drop more.

As for my wife, Harriet is intimidated by driving all 35 feet of the Zeppelin, but--I have convinced her that, should I become incapacitated and not be able to drive, she still has responsibilities to the dogs and herself to learn how to get them all wherever they need to go, whenever they need to get there. My take on (dare I show my age??) women's liberation is, SHARE THE WORK!!Everybody will be better off in the long run if my wife is able to take care of herself, wherever, whenever.

We will probably be able to verify Tach READINGS next weekend. In any case, the GV and the headers and exhaust are a positive.

Best,
Rob
Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #138
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Zep, welcome back!! What were the before numbers? Do you know what you rear end ratio is?? 4:56 or 4:10??
What did you get for mufflers??
Zeppelin got 3 Inch pipes, big friggin' truck mufflers--no idea about the details--it's been raining too hard to crawl under and see. Custom shop made exhaust pipes. Aluminized. If I'm unlucky, the last one I may ever need, as the one replaced on Zep was the factory origainal from 1991, with 73K!!

Best,

R
Old 09-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #139
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
I will have a look at the rear end on Friday or Saturday and report in. As long as it isn't raining cats and dogs. And that we have power--to charge flashlight batteries.

My report does not presume that my dash tach is correct. I only report what it says.........and that it is better than it was. The real issue is fuel economy, decreased wear and tear, etc., and you will excuse me if I wait a few days before filling up, as fuel prices have come down almost .40 a gallon in the last 3 days in MD and I expect will drop more.

As for my wife, Harriet is intimidated by driving all 35 feet of the Zeppelin, but--I have convinced her that, should I become incapacitated and not be able to drive, she still has responsibilities to the dogs and herself to learn how to get them all wherever they need to go, whenever they need to get there. My take on (dare I show my age??) women's liberation is, SHARE THE WORK!!Everybody will be better off in the long run if my wife is able to take care of herself, wherever, whenever.

We will probably be able to verify Tach READINGS next weekend. In any case, the GV and the headers and exhaust are a positive.

Best,
Rob
Rob,

We've been having rain just about like you , but so far have not lost power . Sorry to hear you're having such weather troubles. I guess we all just have to be thankful it's not worse. We actually needed the rain here, but I seem to remember you folks got pretty well supplied just a few weeks ago. Anyway, no rush on the inspection under your vehicle. I really don't want you to drown trying to satisfy my concerns .

I think the main issue is if you can tell a noticeable difference in your current rpms vs what you were getting before. Even if your tach is wrong, you should be getting quite a difference in rpms when the overdrive kicks in. I'm with Glen on wanting to hear what your numbers were BEFORE the GV install. Knowing your axle ratio would also be of some interest, especially considering my 5.29 ratio was more suited to pulling stumps .

I totally agree with you about your wife needing to be able to drive your MoHo in an emergency, and I've been telling my wife the same thing for the past 30 years of towing, and now driving the Blimp. She's still too intimidated. (Since she doesn't read the Forum , I can tell that in some ways it may be just as well.) Her reactions when quick thinking is required tend to be very "jerky", and I've always been concerned she may flip the trailer or, now, roll the Blimp. I know women drive semis all the time, but in her case it's probably better she just call for help. It's sort of the the "old dog learning new tricks" , but I'd never use that terminology around her . I've tried to concentrate on making sure she knows what to do if I am unexpectedly not able to drive. I figure knowing where to get help might be better than her attempting to do something that would be much more dangerous.

Will be anxious to here more about your GV and header observations as you get the chance to check things out. I'm still not able to report a valid set of numbers on fuel mileage. Haven't been out on a trip yet that is typical of the way I travel. Trying to set one up for early fall.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 09-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Zeppelin got 3 Inch pipes, big friggin' truck mufflers--no idea about the details--it's been raining too hard to crawl under and see. Custom shop made exhaust pipes. Aluminized. If I'm unlucky, the last one I may ever need, as the one replaced on Zep was the factory origainal from 1991, with 73K!!

R
Rob, 3" is BIG!! How much back presure are you going to get from those big mufflers? I used 2.5" on mine as I had heard the lack of back presure would be detrimental on fuel economy as a start.... so if you notice a drop in fuel economy (I know "oxymoron") that may be the culpret.

Tim, you're off on a short trip ...er short weekend... or is that both??
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach