Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Angry Gas tank sloshing

The gas tank on my 84 MH 310 sloshes so much when the tank is below 1/2 that it wears out the level sensing unit. I replaced the pick-up tube sending unit 5 years ago because the gas gauge was unstable. Last summer the gas gauge became unstable again to the point that I ran out of gas with an indicator showing 1/2 full. Is there a way to install baffles or a stilling well to prevent or reduce the float bounce that causes the sensor to wear out?

Ernie
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Hmmm

I am wondering how this happens. The gas pickup method has been used for years and years. It seems to be a tried and true method for fuel indication.

Are you certain this is what is causing your problems? Sloshing of gas is inherent to all gas tanks.

I am looking forward to the feedback on this one.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I saw a float years ago with a shock on it, a small piece of tube with a hole in it attached to the float, the piston attached to the pickup tube. I don't think it was GM but it was quite a while ago.

I would check connections the the gauge, float and ground before changing the float again, as Smily said they don't go bad that often. How are the rest of your gauges, they use a common voltage.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Talking Sloshing gas tank

Thanks John and Smillie, I have considered somekind of shock, but dont know it could be installed through the small pick-up tubing hole. I am again looking at the original fuel level sensor, through the small slot where the float arm pivots, not too clear but there appears to be a larger wear area on the resistance wire that corresponds with the float angle of 3/8 full tank. I am convinced that this the problem since the new sensor cured the problem for about 5 years. Maybe I need more oil in the gas tank to reduce the wear factor. Years ago fuel tank builders were adding baffles and stilling-wells to cure this problem of sloshing fuel. Right now my cure is to fill my tank when the level is half full. At least, I will save money since the gas price would be higher if I waited until the tank was closer to empty, Ha! Ha!.

Ernie
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Question 1986 345 AS MH Fuel Tank

I am assuming that the fuel tank in my 1986 345 has no internal baffles that would prevent fuel gage from swinging so much. Is this correct? Has anyone found a damping component to help minimize the swing short of replacing the tank with baffles? Has anyone ever had to replace fuel tank and if so, were you able to find one with baffles? Thanks for any input. Jim
Old 04-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I did not see your post as I have just posted one similiar. I wonder if the new P30 chassis fuel tanks have baffles or something similiar to prevent so much movement? It surely is aggravating to me and I have same problem with a 1989 Grand Waggoner. Does the new AS MH's have this problem (I am assuming that they are on a P30 chassis)? Jim
Old 04-28-2004, 05:47 AM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jim,
For what it is worth...My 345 has big swings on the fuel gauge as well...increasing as the fuel level gets lower. I've gotton pretty good at saying things like "We have 1/2...on average". I've also driven later model MH's on P30's which did not have these wild swings in the fuel gauge. They have all been from other brands so I can't speak for each specific setup. I've also been a passenger in a modern MH on the Workhorse chassis and the fuel gauge was rock solid.

Aside from tank modifications, is there something that could be done at the gauge. Perhaps a delay circuit?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How about some of the foam blocks used in fuel cells. It would cost a fortune to fill a tank that size, but if you could build a baffle or 2 it would slow down the fuel movement.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote