Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Fuel Line & Fuel Tank

Know that my fuel lines in my '89 345LE are in need of being replaced. Discovered over the weekend, that my fuel sending unit is in need of replacing as well.
What are others thoughts of doing these repairs separately? Or would it just be best to do both at the same time?
Have others had to do both?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
From pictures found on this site and when I did the fuel pump tank check modification, I would say it would be impossible to do both without dropping tank and if it is dropped why wouldn't you do both.
By cutting the hole in the floor I could see the opening to the fuel sending unit, open it and could have replaced, but if I was going to replace the fuel lines I would have left the old ones in place and rerouted new ones, not the usual way things are done, but dropping my fuel tank would have been a major project at the hydraulic jacks were mounted with a crossmember under the tank.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Do you know how many fuel pumps are on the 454CI Throttle Body engine? With the TBI on my 454, I know that there is a electric fuel pump at the gasoline tank, but would there be another one closer to the engine, due to the distance from tank to engine?
Thanks, Derek
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
On mind only one, but probably could use a second one. I needed to find out what my fuel starvation problem was, computer or vapor lock. Mounted switch to direct wire fuel pump with a light, next time it stalls I will know if it is short of electric, can turn on the switch and bypass the system.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ok, today I had a mechanic look at motorhome. Yes, I have an 89 454cid, BUT no throttle body like I was told by PO. I had pulled air cleaner off earlier this week, and looked, thought to myself 'self, that sure looks like a 4 barrell, not a TBI'. Sure enough, I've got enough grease under fingernails that I was correct.
So, no problems in locating electric fuel pump closer to engine, the one that runs off of crank is bad, LEAKING very bad. It's a wonder I haven't blown this thing up by now.
New fuel pump this weekend. Will replace sending unit later, can live with a 'bouncy' fuel gauge until have a week off from work to do the tank drop. At that point, will clean out tank and put in a sealer at same time.
Thanks, Derek