Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
Talking Engine removal - AS Land Yacht

Any experience or recommendations on removing the engine or engine/transmission in my 90' 36 ft Land Yacht?. The P30 shop manual gives no hints and upon checking with Air Stream, they said they never had a shop manual for this coach - just the "owners manual!"
It presently has 47k miles on the 454 engine and 3L80 (M40). I am exploring endeavoring raising the efficency of the power package, including swapping in a 4L80 automatic, and several yet to be finalized changes in "motive" power. Any tips (or warnings) would be greatly appreciated.
lonestranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
New Old Full Timer

1990 36' Land Yacht
louden , Tennessee
I just did. How'd you make out? This is a really old thread with no response in 11 years. Seems weird that no one has much to say on the topic
Herm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #3

1997 31' Land Yacht
Venice Beach , California
Engine Replacement

how did it go?
kidnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
New Old Full Timer

1990 36' Land Yacht
louden , Tennessee
My First time engine replacement was with a mechanic who didn't know what he was doing. He put a car 454 in it instead of a truck one. The engine blew 18 months and 3500 miles later. "Out of warranty", he said. Next time was and awesome mechanic. They rebuilt the engine. I had the transmission rebuilt the first time. It was the Heavy Duty 400. A very good transmission, albiet a 3 speed. I average 8 to 9MPG. You have to install en engine and transmission that are synchronized to work together or it won't work right. There are "Brain"/module issues and wiring and other complications to prepare for. I've thought about it but it's not worth the dough for the savings unless you are seriously considering traveling a lot.

The best factors to consider are:
Cooling, like extra airfow around the engine, good auxiliary fans for cooling the oil and transmission fluid, Quality coolant,
SPEED! Slow Down! 55-60 is the sweet spot for those rigs. The 454 runs hot anyway and is brutal on exhaust manifolds. Quality headers can help some but speed really makes a difference. After the engine rebuild I had to keep it under 60 for 1500 miles. I like it now. It's good for my head too. Relax and enjoy the trip.

BTW the engine goes out the driver's door. Chair comes out and the door panel too for clearance.

If I could I'd see how to put the 8.1 in it with the proper trans. Could mean some custom drive shaft work and wiring.
Herm is offline   Reply With Quote