Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2003, 05:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Emergency parts

Anybody have a list of the parts most likely to be needed on a trip. I have belts and hoses. Extra fluids. What ignition parts mostly likely fail? Have '83 454, 310. Thanks......Bill
Bill Resseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well the PO of my Tow rig had a nice set up that I'm adding too.

Hoses
Hose emergency splice kit.
Spare plugs
Service manual.
Bottle jack (block of wood as a base)
belts
Some 14 gage wire
Jumper cables
Fuel filter

Stuff I'm adding:

Fuel pump. On a motor home you proably have two. A mechanical on the engine and a electric one at the tank since it's such a long distance. The Mechanical is about $14 at the parts store.
Ignition modual
FI ECM (probably overkill but they are easy to swap on my truck)
Alternator ( I have a spare for my other truck. That should work in a pinch but a little under rated for the truck.)
Tire plug kit ($17 at parts store for small kit, $27 for the pro kit) Never know when your going to come around a corner and find a box of roofing nails dumped in the road.
12v electric compressor ($14 at Target)
Can of fix a flat.
Assortment of Nuts bolts and washers.
Couple wire coat hangers.
Spare vacuum line
The best two LONG plug wires from the last major tune up.

Tools: Spart parts are great but worthless without the tools. My travel box has the following.
Full set of Deep well 3/8 sockets.
Full set of 1/2 inch sockets
Ratchets, extensions, breaker bar.
Hub socket
Assorted screw drivers
Makita 7.2 volt angle drill with some common drill bits and a Uni Bit as well as screw driver tips.
Spare charged battery for Makita.
Assorted box end wrenches.
18 inch long pry bar.
Hammer
Cold Chisel
12v test light
Cheap VOM meter
Spark plug gapping tool
Sensor safe RTV
Dielectric grease
Anti Sieze
Loc Tite
JB Weld (Awsome stuff. I have seen it seal a cracked water jacket in a engine block for 2 years.)

Fluids
4 quarts of motor oil
2 Quarts of ATF
1 quart of gear oil
1 Gallon of anti freeze.
Pint of brake fluid
full can of brake cleaner
Spare oil filter
Line dry (fuel addative to get water out of the tank)
Octane boost (never know when you going to get a bad tank)
can of WD40 (this stuff is for drying out ignitions...worthless for all else)
small can of BP Blaster penetrating oil.
Stored in a pair of amo cans with good seals. One tall one short and long. The short and long can be used as a catch pan if I have to drain fluid for any reason.

I'm an above average shade tree. I rebuild my own automatic transmissions. The above I figure I can handle 90% of any break downs on the side of the road in under an hour. It's a little over kill but if it limits my time on the side of the road it's worth it.

Fact of the matter is most problems are lack of maintainace. Lots of stuff people don't relize has a service life much shorter then you would think.

Anti Freez is good for about 2 years. After that it becomes acidic and eats the cooling system from the inside out.

Brake fluid abosorbs moisture from the air. The older it is the lower the boiling point the faster they brakes will fade. It also becomes acidic and will eat the system from inside out. 2 years it should be changed.

both of these often get neglected in a RV that only gets used a few months a year.

Brakes...check the lines, calipers, wheel cylinder, linings before extended trips or every 10,000 miles (less on heavy vehicles).

Cooling system...look for any signs of leaks. Replace cap every 2 years, it's a wear item. There is a weap hole in the bottom the the water pump shaft housing. After running the engine for a few minutes to build pressure in the system (upper hose hard to squeeze) pat the bottom of the water pump with a white paper towel and see if it has any coolant leaking. Loosen the belts and check for any side to side play in the water pump. If it has either its on it's way out, replace. Water pumps usualy start giving little tell tail signs they are going LONG before they fail completly. That weep hole and shaft play is what they are.

While the belts are loose spin the alternator. some bearing noise is normal. It should spin free if it has some miles on it. brand new are a little stiff sometimes. If it growels when you spin it or is not smooth it's going bad.

It's funny but for all I have for long trips or my four wheeling trips I have NEVER (knock on wood) had to use my stuff on my vehicle. Now I have used it a LOT on other peoples vehicles that were broken down. I always find the same thing unless it's somthing catastrophic like snapped axle shafts.....Lack of maintance.

Another big one I see is bad alternators on vehicles that are otherwise maintained.....Main culprit is water getting in them when cleaning the engine. If you clean your engine regularly stay away from the alternator with engine cleaners or water. stay away from the electronics on the throttle bodies as well. Wipe that stuff clean with a rag.

Here is a write up I did for a web site I moderate. It's along the same lines but overkill here (I sure hope snapping axles is not a common thing on the road )
http://www.coloradok5.com/packitup.shtml
Now I do a fair amount of back woods travel and primitive camping. Slow going stuff where you rarely get over 5mph for hours at a time and driving over terain most people would avoid walking. It's not unual for me to be 15 miles from the nearest paved road and No tow truck is going to get where I'm at. I have to fix it where it sits.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Damn Toaster...you the man. I have a fair amount that is on that list, but nowhere near what you bring. You might find that towing an additional car might be less weight!

I'm gonna add a few based on your post though....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Damn Toaster...you the man. I have a fair amount that is on that list, but nowhere near what you bring. You might find that towing an additional car might be less weight!

I'm gonna add a few based on your post though....

Eric
Hahaha I'm the king of over kill.

With the excetions of the fluids and the alternator it's pretty compact. The fluids is what is going to get you with space and weight.
I probably over plan but If I have an encounter with a Deer I would end up using most of it to get off the road. My truck has a AUX oil cooler and it's right up front where it could get poped by a rock even. It can be bypassed but if the oil light comes on you have already lost at least 3 quarts of oil.

Tranny your screwed. If it runs out of fluid and it takes more then 2 quarts to get it moving again.....Your done, time for the tow truck. The tranny in your Caprice holds a total of 23pints. Even a nut ball like me isn't going to carry enough to deal with that.

Radiator can take a LOT of punishment and still get you off the road. If you get something through it you can pinch off the tube that is leaking and fold it. It will seal fairly well. Leave the cap loose so the system can't come up to full pressure and you should be able to make the nearest town.....as long as you have something to put back in the radiator.

Bet Peter's list is pretty close to mine though.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, better be safe than sorry.....

I modded out the Caprice trans with a 2000 Silverado deep trans pan, so add another 2 quarts to the equation!

Eric
Old 04-23-2003, 07:14 PM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster

. .....Bet Peter's list is pretty close to mine though.
We could swap and never notice a difference. , except the 4 foot fence post I carry to crack the lug nuts.
spare starter motor is a must have.
I also made it a habit to install the new part and keep the old one, which I know is working, as a spare.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Tool Box

Add a couple of good vise grip wrenches. It's amazing what you can do with them. Lock down a loose panel, outside drawer, door, or keep a bumper attatched. Have also used a vise grip to hold on a battery terminal until I got to a parts store.

I once drove home with a pair of vise grips sealing a brake line after I blew a slave cylinder.

You might want to carry two starters - that damn heat from the #8 cylinder, exhaust pipe, and manifold melts 'em.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterH-79MH

We could swap and never notice a difference. , except the 4 foot fence post I carry to crack the lug nuts.
spare starter motor is a must have.
I also made it a habit to install the new part and keep the old one, which I know is working, as a spare.
Yeah my 9/16 lug nuts are still within standard breaker bar length at a measley 118lbft. Those big boys have 3/4 studs don't they? What's the torque on that like 160lbft?

350 starter the same as a 454? I have a spare one of those.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
these guy can get there
but bet they dont have any thing to eat. no room for esentials. i have a lot of spares under the rear bed . i have had to replace belts on the road. that is a pain got to wait for a couple of hours for the 454 to cool down. had to drive 50 miles with out power steering the pulley broke. when power steering goes out if you have power bost on the brakes that comes from the power steering unit didnt have much in the way of brakes only had one close call it was about a mile from home. got a complete set of gas filters had to replace those in the walmart parking lot last year. i picket the nastiest spot in the lot to do that got dirty as wxyz. replaced a fan clutch in a auto zone parking lot. you cant take it all just look for auto zone. just maybe they will have the part. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Tool Box

Quote:
Originally posted by 87airstream345
Add a couple of good vise grip wrenches. It's amazing what you can do with them. Lock down a loose panel, outside drawer, door, or keep a bumper attatched. Have also used a vise grip to hold on a battery terminal until I got to a parts store.

I once drove home with a pair of vise grips sealing a brake line after I blew a slave cylinder.

You might want to carry two starters - that damn heat from the #8 cylinder, exhaust pipe, and manifold melts 'em.
Common problem with a relativly and cheap solution.
Here is what you need.
You can get one for just the Solonoid in the Help section at most parts stores. Most of the time that's enough.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Vise Grips

About 15 years ago, we took our 16' outboard motor boat up to the Kinzua Dam in PA, and were doing boat access only tent camping. When we returned to the truck and trailer 3 days later, someone had stolen the crank off of the boat winch. Yeah, you guessed it, I had to crank that baby on with a set of Vise Grips. Once my had slipped off, and it slapped me in the wrist man, did that feel good. Of course, after I replaced the crank, I tack welded the nut on.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know there was a time when I thought I was the only excessive compusive person I knew. I am glad to know there is saftey in numbers.

As I keep reading this, I can clearly see that you all do the same crap I do. I too keep parts that are known good after I replace with new for a possible future spare.

Me, I just keep a pipe on occasion for my 1/2 drive. Gives me all the leverage I need. Been to Sears and found a real big driver. Not sure what the size, but I can tell you that no pipe would be required with that......

You all rock!

Eric