Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Electrical gremlins in steering column

I have a 36' 1992 AS Land Yacht built on a P30 chassis.

Seems I have some issues in that are common to the steering column.

The first problem is with the horn . Noticed a couple a days ago that I heard the sound of a horn in the distance while sleeping at a race track. Seemed to be blowing for an hour or so and than quit. The next day I found my starter battery dead. Turns out the horn was mine and just went off on it's own. I charged the battery but found I still had a 2 amp draw with the ignition off. No sound from the horn but unplugging the horn fuse and that stopped the draw. plugged the fuse back in and the draw came back. Unplugged the horn and it stopped again. Horn must be toast from blowing for an hour straight. Found that, if I turn the steering wheel the current draw stops. My conclusion is that I have a short in the steering column that's intermittent.

The other problem is with the wiper system. When I first start the MH I get one cycle of the wipers every time. Some times the wipers will come on by their own in intermittent mode. Off position doesn't stop them. Low and High work fine. Again I'm assuming that the wires in the steering column are the cause.

Here is my question: Has anyone removed the steering wheel and disassembled the column? What is required to do this?

One of the biggest problems I've found working on the MH is finding the correct parts. I haven't been able to fine a replacement switch assembly or multi purpose switch stalk that looks anything like the one I have. The one I have has a slide switch for the intermittent speed. All the others I've found have a dial around the stalk. Air Stream has been no help since they say that the parts manuals are no longer available and their records don't go back that far.

Any help is very appreciated.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The str column contact will look like these...
The vid's in that link may be helpful.

You may be able to borrow a str wheel puller from an autoparts store...the wheel can/will be a bear to get off,😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt240z View Post
I have a 36' 1992 AS Land Yacht built on a P30 chassis.

Seems I have some issues in that are common to the steering column.

The first problem is with the horn . Noticed a couple a days ago that I heard the sound of a horn in the distance while sleeping at a race track. Seemed to be blowing for an hour or so and than quit. The next day I found my starter battery dead. Turns out the horn was mine and just went off on it's own. I charged the battery but found I still had a 2 amp draw with the ignition off. No sound from the horn but unplugging the horn fuse and that stopped the draw. plugged the fuse back in and the draw came back. Unplugged the horn and it stopped again. Horn must be toast from blowing for an hour straight. Found that, if I turn the steering wheel the current draw stops. My conclusion is that I have a short in the steering column that's intermittent.

The other problem is with the wiper system. When I first start the MH I get one cycle of the wipers every time. Some times the wipers will come on by their own in intermittent mode. Off position doesn't stop them. Low and High work fine. Again I'm assuming that the wires in the steering column are the cause.

Here is my question: Has anyone removed the steering wheel and disassembled the column? What is required to do this?

One of the biggest problems I've found working on the MH is finding the correct parts. I haven't been able to fine a replacement switch assembly or multi purpose switch stalk that looks anything like the one I have. The one I have has a slide switch for the intermittent speed. All the others I've found have a dial around the stalk. Air Stream has been no help since they say that the parts manuals are no longer available and their records don't go back that far.

Any help is very appreciated.
You probably have a wiper control module underneath your dash. Mine was shot and I had similar issues. Read this thread for more info. On the classics (mine is 1991) they were a Dana/Rostra product. I was able to purchase a replacement part

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ual-87396.html
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Thanks for the reply's so far. The horn issue is fixed. Turned out to be a broken turn signal cam switch. The connection to the horn wire was damaged and the the spring was protruding out and touching the steering column intermittently.

Still need to identify the problem with the delay wiper assembly.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Most likely a PM...👍

Am-zon it.... Ck the numbers in the original to order the correct pulse module.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The module that's currently in the MH is 66D-00078. It's a two motor delay module but only one motor is used.

The big problem is I can't locate a replacement unit anywhere. I've looked on eBay and Amazon but nothing. Any suggestions on where to pick one up?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
OK, I found this. Looks identical but has a different part number. Mine is a 66D-00078 but the other one I'm looking at is a 66D-00092. Can't fine any information on it.

This is what it looks like:

Here's a link to it:
http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/66D-00092.html

This is what Mine looks like:

From what I can see, even the wire colors are the same. Any ideas on how to find out more information?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The great folks at Northwest RV Supply just sent me an internal picture of the 66D-00092:

And this is the one that is in my 1992 AS Land Yacht 36'. It was located on the firewall next to the steering column near the floor. Only had two screws securing it to the fire wall.:

As you can see they are quite similar. The only differences are in where the wires connect to the relay terminals and the relay MFG. The PC board number is 66c-00069 Rev.E, which is the same part number on mine as well. Even the wire colors are the same. I reconfigured mine to match theirs and it looks like the difference in wiring is related to the park feature. More than likely it's the difference between dynamic and non dynamic parking. It would be easy to reconfigure them to be the same so I ordered it for $39.94 plus shipping. He still has 13 more in stock. They came from a Monaco dealer.

Taking them apart is a simple matter of unscrewing 4 torx screws. No need to cut and splice any wires to swap them out. All the wires are connected either through push on connectors or the spade terminals on top of the relays.

Will let you guys know how it works out after I get the replacement module in hand.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The 66d-00092 unit arrived today. I removed the wire connections to the relays and replaced them with the ones on my original wire harness in the original configuration. Connected both of the other connectors and fired up the engine. BINGO!!!! Wipers are now working as they should. Checked low speed, high speed and delay functions and everything is working perfectly. Another repair done successfully!!!!!

Good to have working wipers for the first time since I've owned my MH. For eight years it's been a hit and miss thing so, as you can imagine, this is a huge success.

On a side note, after some inspection of the original unit I found that one of the electrolytic capacitors had failed and the traces going to it were damaged. I repaired the damage and replaced the cap. Now I have a spare but hope to not need it.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
You just jinxed yourself......Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
You just jinxed yourself......Regards, Bob
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Seriously, I think the wiper issue is actually fixed. There was obvious damage on the original module that included burnt traces and a damaged capacitor. There was also visible signs of water damage inside the housing. The water damage can be traced back to when I purchased the MH. There was a significant leak due to popped rivets and an open area on the front road side corner molding. The interior had visible signs of puddling on the floor and walls. It's why I was able to purchase the MH for $2000.00 eight years ago.

Still working on repairs but, for the most part, I've completed all major mechanical issues. Most of the issues I have now are more minor cosmetic type on both the interior and exterior. The only mechanical issue is with the rear curb side leveling jack. It tends to stick down and needs a crow bar to assist in retracting it. I need to contact HWH to see what it would cost to rebuild the jack or find a good replacement. That will most likely happen in the spring.