Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Dana/Spicer 70 and 80 axle info

Front and rear light axle parts, kits and applications. Chevrolet 70 and 80 extract attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GM Chevrolet axles.pdf (431.9 KB, 72 views)
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Good information and very timely for me. I have a 1992 Landyacht 36' with TAG axle built on a Chevy P30 chassis. Curious as to how to tell what rear end is installed on my coach. I have the rear disc brake option if that's critical. Planning on doing a complete rear brake overhaul this spring including:

New rebuilt calipers
New Wagner Thermal Quiet pads
New rotors
New wheel bearings and seals
New wheel studs

Need to know what axle I have in order to order the some components. Since it's a 1992, I'm not sure if it's a Dana 70 or Dana 80.

Also, any suggestions on any additions to the list or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

Not trying to thread hijack but it seems relative to the posting.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Good information and very timely for me. I have a 1992 Landyacht 36' with TAG axle built on a Chevy P30 chassis.

Need to know what axle I have in order to order the some components. Since it's a 1992, I'm not sure if it's a Dana 70 or Dana 80.

I'm no expert on the rear axle, but you can probably work out what you have by looking on Airstream.com on the document archive https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ations-489.pdf
and cross ref with the Chevy/GM manuals for the year. You can probably get a manual which is very close here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545416

X9132_1991_GMC_RVGP_Light_Duty_Truck_Service_Manua l
ST333-91 1991 Chevrolet Light Duty Truck Unit Repair Manual
X9136 1991 GMC_Light_Duty_Truck_Fuel_and_Emissions_Including_ Driveability
X9130 1991 GM RV & P Light Truck Wiring Manual
Obviously, will not include the tag which I assume was an Airstream add-on.

A Compnine report or more expensive GM report will likely reveal your RPO codes. if you have these codes, you can decipher them and work out which factory GM axle was installed.....at least I think you can.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Good information and very timely for me. I have a 1992 Landyacht 36' with TAG axle built on a Chevy P30 chassis. Curious as to how to tell what rear end is installed on my coach. I have the rear disc brake option if that's critical. Planning on doing a complete rear brake overhaul this spring including:

New rebuilt calipers
New Wagner Thermal Quiet pads
New rotors
New wheel bearings and seals
New wheel studs

Also, any suggestions on any additions to the list or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

We did that job on my 92 350 just recently and I replaced parts by pulling the old ones, like the inner and outer bearings. Everything else appears to be P30 specific spanning over many years. The most important thing to follow strict procedures on is setting the wheel bearing play. I can take a picture of the torques and tool required, if you dont have it.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-350LE View Post
We did that job on my 92 350 just recently and I replaced parts by pulling the old ones, like the inner and outer bearings. Everything else appears to be P30 specific spanning over many years. The most important thing to follow strict procedures on is setting the wheel bearing play. I can take a picture of the torques and tool required, if you dont have it.
Any pictures would be a big help. I have the 4 tab special tool needed to remove the spindle nuts but could use confirmation on torque specs. Seems like it's the only "special" tool needed.

One question though... How difficult was it to remove and reinstall the axles? Wish GM designed it so the rotors could be replaced without having to remove the axles but so be it.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Any pictures would be a big help. I have the 4 tab special tool needed to remove the spindle nuts but could use confirmation on torque specs. Seems like it's the only "special" tool needed.

One question though... How difficult was it to remove and reinstall the axles? Wish GM designed it so the rotors could be replaced without having to remove the axles but so be it.
Just pull. Comes right out, easiest part of the job. It's the rotor/bearings assembly that's a bear, because its heavy.

Everything is pretty easy except the small outer bearings (hard to reach, I left mine alone), and the big inner bearing race (large press fit part)
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:

sorry Nick for going somewhat off topic, but not really

Here are the specs for the rear bearing adjustments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearbrakes.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	388384  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote