Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Correct belt sizes for 1984 310 with 454, A/C and smog pump

On our last trip to Atlanta we had one of the belts break while we were passing a semi. We were in the center lane and the semi was in the right lane. Just as I was pulling even with the front of the semi I noticed that the steering was getting kind of stiff. I immediately realized we had lost the power steering belt. Worse, the power steering pump also provides hydraulics for the power brakes. So here I was passing a semi and my steering and brakes disappear. Since there was a long line of vehicles behind the semi I opted to speed up and get in front of him and then immediately moved over to the shoulder while still going highway speed. Once on the shoulder it took everything I had to get the motorhome to stop. Fortunately we were on a long flat stretch after having recently passed over the Cumberland Mountains just north of Knoxville. Needless to say it took me a few moments to calm down once we got stopped.

It turns out that one of the belts broke and when it did it took out the other two belts. So I now needed to source all three belts since I didn't have any spare belts We got lucky and were sitting real close to an exit and we could see an O'Reilys store in the distance. Susan called and managed to get them to deliver to the building on the service road right next to where we came to a stop, how lucky is that Within 45 minutes of having come to a stop we had new belts in our hands.

One lesson learned here is if a belt is starting to squeal it's time to replace it AND all of the others as well. I let the squealing belt go on for several years, mainly because we hadn't been using the motorhome more than a couple of times a year and I just kept forgetting about it.

Replacing the belts is not a fun project expecially if the motor is warm or hot but it sure beats the alternative of having the motorhome towed or paying for road side service. It's really not all that hard to do, just time consuming and you'll end up with a few bruises and scratches. At least I did anyway

Our motorhome is a 1984 310 with 454 and one smog pump below the alternator on the right side.

Install this belt first:
7585 - Gates 13/32" x 59-1/8"
Routing = AC - PS - Crank - WP

Install this belt second:
7410 - Gates 13/32" x 41-5/8"
Routing = PS - crank

Install this belt third:
7495 - Gates 13/32" x 50-1/8"
Routing = Alt - Crank - WP - Smog (below alternator)
Lower alternator bolt is accessible from underneath right front through the wheel well with the wheel mounted.

When tensioning the power steering pump there is a 1/2" square hole in the adjuster bracket for using a 1/2" ratchet. Place the ratchet drive in the hole and use the ratchet handle as a tension lever. You can use this to also release the tension on the belt during installation.

You will need to work from above and below to get all of the belts installed properly. I probably made probably 50 trips from inside to outside and back while installing the belts. I have a large 36" x 48" red mat that I carry on trips and I used this to lay on top of the motor and also used it to lay on while under the motorhome.

I hope this helps someone to keep moving on down the road

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You did good! But you were supposed to take pictures for us.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
You did good! But you were supposed to take pictures for us.

Dave
Dave

I'll guarantee you taking pictures was the furthest think from my mind at that time

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Belt once?

Brad,

what's your opinion on changing a 454 multiple-belt out to a single serpentine belt arrangement?

while a single belt kit is not inexpensive ($800 ??) do you think that it might be worth it in the long run, given the value of the components included, and any salvage value of the parts that have been substituted out??

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
what's your opinion on changing a 454 multiple-belt out to a single serpentine belt arrangement?

while a single belt kit is not inexpensive ($800 ??) do you think that it might be worth it in the long run, given the value of the components included, and any salvage value of the parts that have been substituted out??
Joseph,

I've thought about that from time to time and I used to think that with a 3-belt system if you lost one belt you still had two belts to power things. You would think that the 3-belt setup has redundancy built in the way the belts are arranged.

However after having one belt fail and having the remains of that belt cause the other two to come off of their pulleys I'm not so sure a 3-belt system is all that great. But, (there's always a but, right?!) with a single serpentine belt if you lose it then you will still lose everything just like we did.

I know there are reasons the auto manufacturers went with serpentine belts. Whether it was a cost issue or performance I don't know.

I actually have enough components to install the hybrid serpentine belt system on two engines. One set I salvaged from a junk yard and the other set came off of the 345 that I'm dismantling. I'm not sure if that is a good system either. The hybrid still has 3 belts, 2 v-belts and 1 serpentine belt.

I think I will leave the 310 the way it is because the amount of work it would take to remove all of the old mounting hardware and then install the new hardware would be tremendous. Just yesterday I removed the hybrid system from the 345 and it was a fair amount of work and I have the luxury of having everything from the front of the motor home removed.

I really don't think it would be worth the effort to replace a 3-belt system with a serpentine system unless you had a reason to remove everything from the front of the motor home and you could justify the cost for the single belt serpentine system. I doubt there would be much of a market for the old 3-belt mounting system.

Bottom line is if I had a new engine going in and had the components for a single serpentine system I'd probably use it. I don't think I would spend extra money just to have one. Even though I have my choice of installing a 3-belt hybrid system or a 3-belt regulator system on my Argosy right now I'm leaning towards the 3-belt v-belt system.

I'm sure this was confusing but it's getting late and I'm tired

Brad
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Brad,

I have a belt squeal and would like to try and replace it myself. I am assuming you don't have to remove anything from the front, just be a contortionist from the top and bottom? Stupid question I know, but It is freezing outside and I wanted to get an idea before I put on the cartharts and crawl around only to find out I am SOL....
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dave, I think considering the "newness" of your coach that you're going to have the serpentine belt system. That being the case what you're going to have to deal with is the tensioner. Unfortunately I've not worked on a 454 that had the serpentine belt so I probably can't help much. However if you do for some odd reason have the 3-belt system then I can say you don't have to remove anything although I do believe I removed the air filter housing and then laid a big foam mat that I have for use when I lay under vehicles. If you don't have a mat I'm sure some old blankets would suffice.

I'm pretty sure you won't have to remove anything to get access but I bet you will learn a few new choice words

You probably also have the smog pump up top and center which might make access a little more painful from above. I know when I replaced the three belts on the 310 it was no fun laying on top of the engine reaching down trying to place the belts.

Hopefully someone with a later coach will chime in with some suggestions.

Brad
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Oops, just realized you have a Cummins engine and not a 454! That being the case you can ignore all of my advice

Definitely take some pictures while you're doing it. I'd love to see the installation of the Cummins.

Brad
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Oops, just realized you have a Cummins engine and not a 454! That being the case you can ignore all of my advice

Definitely take some pictures while you're doing it. I'd love to see the installation of the Cummins.

Brad
Yeah, that's us...get the one thing that is even rare among the rare!

There is a serpentine belt with a tensioner and than another belt for the A/C. The tensioner was just replaced prior to pick up so it is brand new. The only issue is that cummins redesigned the tensioner and now the plate that holds the two pieces together is on the other side and rubs the A/C belt. A/C belt is off until I can find a solution or get an original model tensioner. I have the old tensioner so I know what I am looking for.

The MoHo is in a storage lot right down the street...BUT it is a gravel lot! So I will be investing in a good mat PDQ.

Will be taking lots of pics. Not only for documentation for the airforum folks, but so I can show my mechanic what I did so he knows what to fix!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
The MoHo is in a storage lot right down the street...BUT it is a gravel lot! So I will be investing in a good mat PDQ.
Be sure to get a large size mat. I learned auto mechanics in a stone driveway. Lots of time was spent trying to find that dropped washer or other small part.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Be sure to get a large size mat. I learned auto mechanics in a stone driveway. Lots of time was spent trying to find that dropped washer or other small part.
Excellent point! I may just put a large tarp under everything to be sure!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I found these 2 bits of info over on the IRV2 Forum, and they might be worth saving for the future...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 454 belt repl.pdf (477.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: pdf 454 engine front.pdf (294.1 KB, 127 views)
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote