Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2003, 05:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by ALANSD
The new edition of Motorhome magazine has an article on the same situation. A P30 Chevy chassis with a backfireat speed that is occasionally there. The tech writer says to check the rear fuel pump.

He also states that the 454 runs ok on regular 87 octane gas, which suprised me, as I always run mid grade or high octane. Are you all using reguar?? Could save me some $$$$$$$ but maybe only $$$
Yep Reg is fine. 454 is a relatively low compression engine. I think it's under 8:1.
Now if it has sat for a while I would recomend putting a tank of mid in it to try to get the octane back up. I suspect a lot of these engine failures folks have on relatively low mile engines is fuel related. Gas goes stale in about 30days. Typically your best to keep a full tank of fuel to help prevent condinsation in the tank. You MH folks have such a large tank it would take a LONG time to burn through a stale tank of gas. I wonder if you would be better storing with empty tank if it's going to be for more then a month. Then dump some line dry in and 5-10 gallons of fresh super.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Mine runs fine on good old and less expensive regular. I stored mine full of gas all winter about 6 months. she started and ran fine my first trip this year. I never thought about the full tank idea. I will definately do it again this year.

Jai
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
I wonder if you would be better storing with empty tank if it's going to be for more then a month.
Stabil works great for long term storage. Might not be as good as fresh gas but it doesn't varnish and runs fine.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:42 PM   #24
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Well, I got mine fixed.

The 76 was missing at speed or heavy throttle. The issue was that the centrifugal timing adjustment in the distributor was seized.

It would start fine and run fine until warmed up. Then if driving I would give it a full throttle push, it would miss/backfire.

Idle timing was perfect, so I had the distributor replaced and the power is back! It slowly went bad, and I had not realized how much power was gone. 200.00 bucks and it was worth it. BTW I got close to 9MPG to GA towing the Saturn.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:34 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

engine backfire 454

I realize its kind of later for your question. I looked at all the answers and none were the solution a friend of my had on is sob Chevy 454.
He actually blew one muffler to pieces.

His problem was the A-I-R injection pump at the exaust manifolds was working on only one side.

It took him a long time to figure it out. He said that after that was repaired it ran good.

ODD
Old 09-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #26
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The A I R pump would make that happen, of course that would mean I have smog controls. I don't think the smog stuff was added until the early 80's. I LOVE my 70's vintage stuff easy to fix, no emmission controls stuff, no computers, easy to fix (in most cases)
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote