Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Brake pedal travel and side pull

FYI for all. Like others, I have had good brakes but some curiosity about the lengthy brake pedal travel for my motor home. The master cylinder on mine had been replaced by the previous owner. But I pondered if he had used the wrong unit, such as one with a smaller diameter bore. I also questioned the condition of the rubber brake lines. So I replaced the master with a new correct cardone unit and all 5 rubber brake lines with bendix brand parts. Had to replace the metal lines at the rear axle as well since they would not separate from the rear caliper hoses. Pedal travel is now less. No more brake pull to one side as well. And Pedal is firmer with application of brakes. Successful repair! Bought my master and rubber lines from rock auto online. Parts ordered were:
CARDONE SELECT Part #131668
BENDIX Part #77548
BENDIX Part #77549
BENDIX Part #77330
BENDIX Part #77329
BENDIX Part #88651
The bendix parts are the rubber hoses. They all had tabs that I had to grind off the point were the steel head of each hose rests in the chassis (tab that holds connection/union of hose to steel line). Mine is circular with no locating tab. Was no big deal took couple of seconds for each. The replacement metal brake lines I used at the rear axle was generic replacement line from the local auto parts. Oh, and my rig is an '81 excella 28 with a 454, disc brakes at all 4 wheels stock and of course the hydroboost.
IPM is offline   Reply With Quote