Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
From what I've seen of this stuff, it smells like what it is--something that comes out of the south end of a northbound bull...
It would be nice if I were wrong, but...
Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
I remember seeing JC Whitney catalogs back in the early '70s that had all kinds of gizmos that claimed to give 2-3 mpg better performance. You'd get 200mpg if you installed them all! In particular I remember the "water injector" whose ad said "Ever notice how well you car runs on a rainy day?"
From what I have heard there is some truth to the water injection idea, BUT, the system requires constant adjustment to the point it is impractical.

Maybe there is a techy way waiting to be discovereed that will improve the efficiency of a internal combustion engine that is cost effective and works, BUT, so far the only testimonials I have seen or heard are on the ads trying to sell them.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Michelle wondered if 12 volts would split H2O without a transformer. My previous post certainly was intended to suggest that splitting water would actually use more TV or moho base fuel than was recoverable by injecting hydrogen thus gained back into the manifold. Although the A/C has the most noticeable impact, all electric accessories do affect mileage. But true, driving habits have the most significant effect.

Yet my father's son remembers his tales. Which takes me back to water injection increasing manifold pressures in WWII P-47 Thunderbolts for a brief extra jolt of power. Only try this on your brudder-in-law's truck...
Water-Meth Injection Q&A - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

And from P-47 ace, Francis Gabreski, "The early P-47 - which was the basic airplane - had a very thin propeller, although it was a four-bladed propeller. It didn't have water injection. It didn't have all the niceties of the P-47D20 that came into the theater sometime in the latter part of, uh ... well, it was actually about March of 1944. So the improvement that we had (was) water injection, which gave you a power increase of from 52 inches of mercury to about 72 inches of mercury, which was a tremendous boost in power and performance. Then you had tremendous visibility with the teardrop canopy. You could cover your tail and look out freely without the crossbars kinda' restricting your vision. So I would say that the P-47I finally went down with on July 20, 1944, was one of the finest little airplanes that I have ever flown. It was more than a match for the Focke-Wulf 190. It was more than a match for the 109. I had absolutely no problem as long as I used water injection, and I used it quite frequently. We had water injection that would, with sustained power, keep us there for about three minutes up to five minutes, depending upon how you use it. But it gave us that tremendous edge that we needed against the German Luftwaffe."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Ahhhhh scam? Yeah you can put hydrogen into engine but it is not made to run on raw hydrogen. Hydrocarbons yes. 12 Volts is not enough to seperate the Hydorgen from the Oxygen in water. I am still looking into how much it takes. I cannot remember from high school exactly but I know it involved a transformer....
I think the "transformer" you remember was probally a converter used to drop the voltage and also convert to DC. Takes DC currrent to produce H at one electrode and O2 at the other. Here is a link for a simple setup.

Science Projects - Splitting Water

This one doesn't produce O2 but does produce H and other byproducts. Uses salt water to reduce the required voltage.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
A friend from Delaware (Florida snowbird) used this thing on his Chevy 1500 p/u,from De down here to Fl. He swears it increased his mpg from 15ish to 17.5 mpg. I have intended to try one of these deals,however haven't yet.
Here's the link.
Main
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #26
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Big Bang

Probabaly a good thing hydrogen is tough to get out of water.
We would be overcome with explosions and imagine all that extra oxygen floating around...or would it be used up in the fire?

Dang...we could be our own Sun !
Its time we took the place back as the center of our Solar System
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
We would be overcome with explosions and imagine all that extra oxygen floating around...or would it be used up in the fire?
Ever have a science teacher toss metallic sodium into a bucket of water? It's so reactive that it skitters around on the top of the water, splitting H2 from O with enough heat that all is consumed in sparks. Imagine a magnesium FeatherCraft burnin' it up down the lake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Dang...we could be our own Sun! Its time we took the place back as the center of our Solar System
We probably won't see the nostalgic days of $2.50/gallon gas again. At least let us do this Mr. Galilei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
A friend from Delaware (Florida snowbird) used this thing on his Chevy 1500 p/u,from De down here to Fl. He swears it increased his mpg from 15ish to 17.5 mpg.
And does he swear that his average speed was no different? A/C use exactly the same? Ambient temperature? Vehicle weight? Drs. Pons & Fleischmann need work -- they could do this as a controlled study...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Not that the TV show is any better source of info than the fellow hawking it in the campground, but Mythbusters did a show on several "mpg boosting" gizmos, the hydrogen generator, and several of the JC Whitney type products too. Their conclusion was what we all aready know. They don't work.

Kinda like the diet pills sold on TV. "The pills, when combined with a healthy diet and excercise, will make you loose weight." No kidding, eat right and stay off the couch, huh, whod a thunk it.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
You might find this interesting:

Roger
i had the same thoughts as the last line of the story. if cars ran on water, how expensive would water become?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Everything I've read in this thread, except for the "better driving habits" comments, is a scam.

The Tornado does absolutely nothing for mileage. The reason it seems to work is that when you put it in you're thinking about mileage, so you drive more gently. The Tornado can do one thing though: if one of those tines were to break off, you'd be out an engine - which is going to offset any increase in mileage you would've gotten if it did work.

The hydrogen thing has been covered already, but let's face it: 1. You're only going to get tiny bits of hydrogen out, and 2. You now have to carry around a bunch of water for the engine's use (I realize us RVers are already usually carrying around water, but you see what I mean). The weight, complexity, and cost of this system will never offset the price you paid for it in terms of fuel usage - especially for a motorhome which doesn't get that many miles to begin with. Even if it does work (which I highly doubt).

Don't even get me started on magnets on the gas line... yes, because magnets have a HUGE effect on non-ferrous materials like gasoline.

Oh, and bottled water is still more expensive than gasoline. Go figure.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #31
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I installed a water injector on my 360cid Dodge back in the '80's. Had to use distilled water or the jet would stop up. Never could get it adjusted to work right. Couldn't tell if it helped or not. Not too long after I installed it, it went nuts and shot in too much water at an idle, flowed the engine and bent a couple valves.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Set the Way-Back Machine to.....

What’s old is new again.
Advertisement from 1947 Science and Mechanics magazine.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	61747  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #33
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I might try the "water-via-vacuum-line" or the "injection via smog pump" trick with my Travelall to see if I can improve efficiency. The 345 engine with 1406 Edelbrock carb in the T-all has less than 9:1 compression ratio and rarely spins above 2500k rpm at the speeds I drive (60mph or less). The engine seems like a good candidate for improvement via some of the links posted. I removed all the vacuum lines associated with the emissions system but did not remove the air pump. Just depends if I want to add another thing that might go wrong to a 35 year old truck.

I'll post my findings if I do this.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #34
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
The idea of injecting water into aircraft engines isn't new. The reason for doing it however was not to burn the water as a fuel per se. It was done to increase the mass of the air being drawn into the engine.

The early Boing 707's had water injected engines. We called them "Water wagons". They were so underpowered that water was injected to help them climb. It wasn't the hydrogen they were after, but the oxygen that was available in the water which had a higher density than the thin air of the upper atmosphere.

In other words, they couldn't suck in enough air in the early engines, so they injected water to increase the mass of oxygen. Nowadays, they have solved that problem and no longer have a need to do so.

In the end, you can't create more energy than is already present in the fuel. You can only use it more efficiently.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #35
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The things you can learn here.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Actually, I thought the water injected engines the military used were to turn the water into steam, therefore increasing thrust. Water expands many times (10 or so??) when turned into steam. In thrust we trust!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Interesting article in todays Wall Street Journal about mileage increasing products. None of them work but people are still trying to make improvements at any cost. The only thing that really helps are low restriction intakes and exhaust systems.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The main use I have seen of water injection was on turbocharged engines to allow more boost without pre-ignition issues.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Those HHO devices are a big scam. When you calcuate how many BTU's of hydrogen you would need, versus the amount a mason jar sized hydrogen generator "might" produce, it is very clear that it is a physical impossibility for such a device to work as claimed.

Do a search for HHO or Hydrogen Generators on YouTube. You'll laugh 'til you cry, funnier than watching the comedy channel.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #40
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
Actually, I thought the water injected engines the military used were to turn the water into steam, therefore increasing thrust. Water expands many times (10 or so??) when turned into steam. In thrust we trust!
Water injection was used during WWII in military aircraft for much the same reason it was used in early jets. They had to be careful with the big radial engines that water didn't pool in the bottom cylinders, hydrolocking the engine. Very bad at 20,000 or more feet in the air when the motor starts shucking internal parts.