Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Bearing adjustment?

Here is my latest conundrum.

I have a wheel vibration that comes and goes. It is coming form the pass side front wheel. The tire has begun to cup a wee bit on the outside edge. The motor home tracks straight, does not pull as far as I can tell. I am in the market for a couple of new tires but these are less than 3 yrs old. This started in West Texas on the way home and has progressively gotten worse. It started after a section of rough road, so I assumed I threw a weight. But the cupping is even around the tire.

Is this a symptom of a loose wheel bearing?

Greasing the front suspension has not made a difference. I have a properly rated jack, I don't mind getting greasy. I used to do the drum front brakes on my 64 "cuda a couple of times a year, so I know what I am looking at when I pull the dust cap, right? Is this a DIY fix?

I am thinking jack it up, pop the dust cap, pull the pin and tighten the nut one or two hole and reassemble.

I welcome your advice
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bearing Adjustment

Here's the correct method for preloading wheel bearings. Seems extreme, but here it is
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would assume that based on this I just do the steps? Now all I need is a torque wrench that goes to 200 LBS and can take the right size socket!

Has anyone popped the dust cap on their MH? Am I right in assuming it is a standard type configuration?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Standard configuration, but bearing preload is 65-90 lbs, back of 1/6 to 1/4 turn or the nearest hole. End play is .001-.007.

After you do this and get tires have the front end aligned, that is probably where the cupping (and vibration) is coming from.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Alignment

I agree with John, check the alignment.

The trick is, find a shop that is properly equipped and HAS EXPERIENCE with the P-30 chassis.

There is a Freightliner shop only a couple of miles from the house, but they won't touch motorhomes.

The premier P-30 alignment shop in Houston is about 40 miles from me, but it is worth the drive.

If you are going to change out or rotate the tires, do that before you take it to the alignment shop.

Please keep the rest of us posted as to the results.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

It may not be the wheel bearing

I am not motorhome owner, but I assume your motorhome has the same steering arrangement as an automobile, so you ought to check the ball joints for excessive wear and tear.

I found this problem on my tow vehicle after towing a 31' A/S for a number of years and I suspect the ball joints take a beating because of the added side loads caused by the long coach. This may apply to motorhomes, too, as one tends to "steer often" to compensate for the effect that wind has on directional control.

As far as the wheel bearings are concerned, you will hear a scraping sound once they begin to deteriorate-they get noisey. Generally speaking, they won't go bad unless the grease goes away - look for evidence of leakage around the hub. If the previous wheel bearing job was done correctly, the lock nut was tighened down to the proper torque specification and a cotter pin inserted to keep it from loosening so the bearing would remain properly seated.

The fact that your tire wear - cupping- is consistent, makes me first think of the ball joints. I am also suspicious of lube technicians that lubricate ball joints when the wheel is on the ground. A proper way to lube ball joints is to take off the load of the front end before lubing to allow better distribution of the product.
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
check the lower ball joint . that was a problem with my rig. but also make sure you have a good set of shocks. and tire is balanced.
dont know if you have a tire dealer that will true the tire . if you do get the tire trued balanced and put it on the rear.
not all alignment shops can align the p-30 chassis . the chevy dealer here will not tuch one. reffers you to a local tire dealer.
something about the lift they use, will not lift a p-30 correctly. also had a tire dealer that services large trucks try and couldnt get the rig on the lift correctly. im sure there is a better explainiation but that is what they told me.
if it is lower ball joints dont pay the $200 dollars that napa wants for their product go to auto zone $106 for the same item different label.
best thing to do is find an alignment shop and have them check the front end out. the shop i used didnt charge anything to tell me what was in need of repair. and gave me a cost estimate .
wasnt happy when i returned a week later for and alignment .
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
One other thing to consider is your shocks - they do get weak and can cause cupping

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote