Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
San Antonio , Texas
Battery draining & headlights flickering

Recently my main battery was mysteriously drained after sitting for a couple of days. Thought it was due to a faulty radio so I replaced it and charged the battery. After a 45 minute shake down cruise I had to use the aux start feature to start the coach and the lights flickered during the ride home. The battery voltage hovered right at 12v for the duration of the return trip, and the coach started immediately after being shut off after arriving. Any words of wisdom?
Old 11-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerob63 View Post
Recently my main battery was mysteriously drained after sitting for a couple of days. Thought it was due to a faulty radio so I replaced it and charged the battery. After a 45 minute shake down cruise I had to use the aux start feature to start the coach and the lights flickered during the ride home. The battery voltage hovered right at 12v for the duration of the return trip, and the coach started immediately after being shut off after arriving. Any words of wisdom?
Alternator's voltage regulator could be going bad. While you're driving, you're not using battery power, you're using alternator power.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You charged the battery but did you check those cable connections for tightness. You may also have a poor/loose connection at one of the solenoids in the battery bay or at the battery ISOLATOR which is probably a SurePower on that model.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ST_180012q.pdf

Check those connections first and then get out your DVM to try to determine where you have, or have not, alternator power .

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Get your battery load tested.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
1. Battery not able to hold or take a charge....replace battery.

2. Alternator not providing a charge...replace alternator.

To test battery take it to any auto parts store they load test batteries for free.

To test alternator if you do not have a meter take the RV to any auto parts store they test alternators for free.

If you have a meter the alternator should be putting around 14V reading at the battery if less than 13.6 the alternator is probably bad.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
San Antonio , Texas
Battery tested good, replaced battery cables, and bad alternator. Rig starts but idles really rough and and battery voltage indicates low by the gage (just above the red). Just two days ago it was running great, any additional input will be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Use a digital multimeter to check voltage at alternator and at the battery. Can't help with the rough idling after alternator replaced, what else did they do?

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Could be the new alternator is defective.