Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Land Yacht
Bakersfield , California
Automatic Parking Brake

I have noted several posts with problems related to their automatic parking brake on the Chevrolet P30 chassis. Althought, I have not experienced problems with my 92 AS MH, its somewhat alarming to think about a failure, and its implications.
From the posts , it seems there is a pin you can pull to release the brake, and that will allow you to drive the unit, although, without the parking brake. Where is this PIN located? Does anyone have a digital photo they could post showing this pin and its location?

Thanks,
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
1982 31' Airstream310
Moccas , herefordshire
does it fit parking brake

I am replacing the 454 gas engine in my 1982 A/S EXCELLA with a 6.2 CHEVY Diesel out of a 1990 DAYVAN.The mechanic says because the A/S has the parking brake on the prop shaft the 6.2 diesel and four speed automatic gearbox wont fit.How can I get round this problem also will this engine be powerful enough the mechanic says it will not go up hills. Need all the advice I can get Cheers Norman
Normin storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In order for the coach to move, you will need to replace the front yoke of the driveshaft with a slip-yoke type, unless the parcel van had a transmission mounted parking brake. If this is the case, you can use the manual lever that came with your Airstream on the back of the transmission. You will just need to make sure you apply the parking brake every time you park, else it will leave without you. I don't think it's a real good, or even particularly safe, solution, but will get you "on the road" for now.
Your second question, the 6.2 is not a powerhouse, but it does have the torque to get over any hill I can imagine in Great Britain, albeit not as fast as you might like.
If you think it will be a major problem, you can get a GearVendors underdrive unit for your coach, it will lower the final drive ratio by 20% for starts and going up hills, and allow upshifting to the regular gear ratio when driving.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
1982 31' Airstream310
Moccas , herefordshire
parking brake

It does not have a parking brake on the dayvan what would be a more permanent way of doing it .Thanks Norman
Normin storm is offline   Reply With Quote