Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Anyone use this exhaust kit?

Flowmaster 17240 Flowmaster Exhaust 75-86 Chevrolet/GMC Motorhome P-30 Chevy 17240 - Chevrolet P30 Flowmaster Exhaust System - Chevrolet P30 - Chevrolet - Flowmaster Exhaust - Flowmaster Mufflers - Flowmaster Muffler

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/kitpdf/17240.pdf

Page 5 in the above PDF has a nice diagram of the exhaust layout.

I have another thread started about converting my very aged dual exhaust to single. I'm getting a shop quote next week. In the mean time I found this kit from Flowmaster that looks really nice. Expensive, but nice. Has anyone bolted this up yet? Does it actually bolt up? I'm hesitant on using any 'universal' P30 exhaust set-up.
However, I know this kit will flow well and don't have the utmost confidence that my local shop will do the same.

Any feedback, let me know.

Thanks.
Ben
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ben, I'm with you about not being sure that it will fit "all" P30 chassis vehicles. Motorhomes have a lot of things stuffed under the floor so it could be hit and miss as to whether it will fit or not.

When I do finally install an exhaust system on mine I plan on going with stainless. There aren't to many things I hate worse than dealing with rusty exhaust pipes!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I'd just find a good muffler shop and have them build a system for it. Aluminized steel is a pretty good compromise between price and longevity. Most motorhomes are not driven in salty winter conditions. Not all stainless alloys are the same either. Some are quite pricy, have good corrosion properties, and can be polished if yer lookin fer purdy. Cheaper stainless won't last much longer than aluminized steel but tend to be brittle and subject to cracks.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Gale Banks Power Pack is the only one I can comment on.

Put one on our 454 Burb...couldn't have been more pleased, wasn't cheap but lasted 180000 mi+ with no problems. Great perf improvement and even got 2-3mpg increase towing if driven properly.

All stainless with cold air intake.

It was definitely worth it if amortized long enough, all depends on the miles driven. Drive enough and it will be worthwhile.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gale Banks Power Pack is the only one I can comment on.

Put one on our 454 Burb...couldn't have been more pleased, wasn't cheap but lasted 180000 mi+ with no problems. Great perf improvement and even got 2-3mpg increase towing if driven properly.

All stainless with cold air intake.

It was definitely worth it if amortized long enough, all depends on the miles driven. Drive enough and it will be worthwhile.

Bob

I've used banks products and they are nicely engineered solutions. They usually fit and work as advertised. Pricey, but nice. A new banks intercooler for my application would run about $2800. I can get one from the same core manufacturer for a little over $1000. Just as an example. Most performance shops will tell you the same even when they sell banks.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the feedback folks. I did end up going to a muffler shop after weighing in on my options. Cost was a consideration as well as time to do the install if purchasing a kit myself.
I consulted a local shop that was familiar with buses, RV's and fleet vehicles. Since I prefer a single muffler exit I printed off a schematic of the banks system and they agreed to make a similar system. Its installed now and I'm pleased. Though, if I did it again I'd have the single outlet (past the muffler) run all the way to the back of the coach instead of exiting before the rear tire. Its a tiny bit loud while driving with the windows open.
Other than that, the piping is mild steel and the muffler is stainless. Done to a high standard, and my out the door cost was just a bit over 1k.
Muffer is a 30" fleet unit with dual 2.5" inlets to a 3.5" outlet.
Not quite a banks system (I'm still running factory exhaust manifolds as mine are in good shape without cracks) so I saw no need to change them out right now.
Thanks again for the feedback. I love the banks stuff, but I'm pleased with the current exhaust for about half the cost without the install time on my end.

I have a couple pictures and a short video of the new exhaust in my motorhome thread. Posts 64 through 70.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...-134290-5.html
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote