Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Alternator Time

Well the squeal isn't the belt after all...darn. Seems it is time to r/r the alternator.

I've got a 12/248 that I'm not sure I want to rebuild.

I can't get a good photo of it to show my concern but the back of the alternator is touching the valve cover.

Also as I've not been wild about the trouble adjusting and keeping belt tension I'm going to buy one of the very nice $100 CNC brackets so that it can be tensioned by a threaded rod rather than a slide lock arrangement.

So any ideas? My old Auto Electric dealer in town has evaporated so I'm up against finding a new source for the alternator too.

All this and I'm due out on a road trip Tuesday.... help!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Find a supplier of Street Rod equipment in your area. They will have a several from which to choose. If you don't have such a place, check Speedway Motors - Street Rod Parts, Race Parts, Ford Flathead Parts, Sprint and Midget Racing Parts, Pedal Car Parts . They have everything.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Napa was my choice when I needed a gm replacement alternator for the boat, Napa was able to match specs with a rebuilt one, but it took a second one to work. Rebuilt alt and starters don't have the quality, but are cheap, so have them test it before you leave the store.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
DaveFL is right. Be sure and have the store check the alternator BEFORE leaving the store. Make sure electrical hook-up is the same as yours before turning your old one in for exchange, too. Make sure output amperage is correct as rebuilders sometimes meet everything but output amperage.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
As luck would have it the alternator issue was related to adjustment and v-belt wear. I don't need an alternator ....yet.

My mechanic and I debated the CNC bracket and we also talked about changing out all the V-belts in favor of a serpentine pulley / belt setup.

Have any of you done this change out? The truth of seeing v-belts along the highway vs. serpentine rings true but is it worth the bucks to do this?

The obvious needs to be stated here... lots of later 454's came with serpentine setups and the wrecker yards are the best source of parts... is this a route I should consider?

Experience is what I'm lookin' for here.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
As luck would have it the alternator issue was related to adjustment and v-belt wear. I don't need an alternator ....yet.

My mechanic and I debated the CNC bracket and we also talked about changing out all the V-belts in favor of a serpentine pulley / belt setup.

Have any of you done this change out? The truth of seeing v-belts along the highway vs. serpentine rings true but is it worth the bucks to do this?

The obvious needs to be stated here... lots of later 454's came with serpentine setups and the wrecker yards are the best source of parts... is this a route I should consider?

Experience is what I'm lookin' for here.
Our Burb with the 454 has the multi-V belt/serpentine alternator belt setup. I can take some photos of it if you'd like. It'll be tomorrow, though, obviously. It's kind of dark out right now...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Terry, what's with the sig?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Terry, thanks for the offer but it's not necessarily about the photos but a retrofit.

I'm wanting to here from anyone who has gone from multi belts to one singular serpentine.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 03-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Terry, what's with the sig?
I had to quit working for Inland Andy back in June '09. It's a long story I have been asked not to discuss on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Terry, thanks for the offer but it's not necessarily about the photos but a retrofit.

I'm wanting to here from anyone who has gone from multi belts to one singular serpentine.
Okay, that's what I thought, but wanted to offer anyway.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I may be old school but your V-belts have worked for 26 years. They are not perfect but they get the job done. Serpentine belts work also. My question is how many V-belts can you buy for the cost of change over to serpentine.

If adjustment was the issue why not refurb the adjustment set up. Fresh grade 8 bolts and washers are a big improvement over the factoty grade 5 stuff. I made the change on my Isuzu diesel and havn't touched the adjusment since. Again just a thought.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If there a lot of black dust around the pulleys and alternator, normal wear on the belts or a lot on one side, before installing new one make sure the pulleys are still in alignment.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if you have a super high amp, after market alternator, one V-belt might slip. You could go with a dual belt alternator pully system. Or change to surpentine system. Your belt should work fine if you are running a stock alternator. Also a larger diameter alternator pulley would give more gripping surface, but would also slow down the alternator's RPM.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I echoed the remarks to the mechanic when he brought it up. Airstream One is a working coach not a show boat. I do like the threaded adjustment of the CNC bracket setup though as it is very difficult to get leverage on the alternator.

As it is a 245 amp it does take a bit to spin it and a dual belt setup might be a good idea going forward.

For now all is working and I'm back on the road early tomorrow for a 500 mile run around NC.

Just in time for the highest gas prices in months too.....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
central tx , Texas
low amp alternator

i also am in need of an alternator. Nappa and the rest of the chain stores in my area all show the same 105 amp alt. With a 350SE, 454, this simply is'nt enough amperage to run the coch, little alone night running. any further comments will be appreciated. I am considering engineering a larger diamater 7" "truck" alt to get into the 140amp range. thoughts?
lefounta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a local alternator rebuilder might have what you need or rebuild your old one.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The following post explains what I did about this problem:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...tml#post228122

The site referenced in that post has lots of alternators with varying capacities and prices. Many with lifetime warranty.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote