Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Airstreams and Emissions...

Buying and owning an Airstream Motorhome is a huge commitment, but one area which is often overlooked, the the subject of Emissions.
Most of our Motorhomes are 20+ years old now, and dependant on which state it is registered in, you may need a smog test.
If you are looking at a motorhome to buy, or are moving to another state, you will need to know.

Seemed like a good idea to have a thread about smog.

Lets share:
What the rules are in different states.
What equipment is or should be on your motorhome.
What modifications are allowed in your state.
In short, anything that relates to smog testing and how it impacts you.

I want to get the thread started by talking about the two basic emissions standards.
Federal and Califonia.
Which state your motorhome CHASSIS was built for, decides the emissions equipment that was fitted, and how it will be tested. It is my understanding, that states cannot require a vehicle to be upgraded or changed to a different emissions standard than its original spec.

Next is the year it was built. The deciding factor is what year the CHASSIS was built, not by what year Airstream put the bodywork on top. You may have a 1984 Airstream, on a 1982 chassis! The year dictates what equipment is fitted and what standard it will be judged by.

The vast majority of Airstream Motorhomes were built on GM's venerable P30 chassis. Most of those are fitted with the 454ci V8, and it is this motor that will get the bulk of the attention.
Those of you lucky enough to have Diesel engines feel free post too!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
For the record, until 1990, all of these 454 V8's had a 4 barrel carbureter. Normally a Rochester Quadrajet. The carbureter was a E4MC, or a E4ME. The only differences between these two is cold start choke mechanism, with the C using air temperature choke, and the E using Electric choke.

No computer, no catalytic converters, and no O2 Sensors.

In 1991, the 454 was fitted with GM's Throttle Body Injection(TBI), which is computer controlled, and has a Catalytic converter, and O2 sensor.

Because of the way that the 1991 and later models are set up, with interlinked systems and Check Engine Lights(CEL), they are less often messed with or modified. It also has a basic diagnostic system and can be checked via the ALCL port under the dash.

For now, lets look at the earlier models.

Here is a glossary of emission control equipment fitted to the pre 1991 454ci V8's, and what each is, and does. Keep in mind, most of these systems are simple. Most are driven and controled by temperature sensors, and engine vacuum.

ACL
Thermostatic controled air filter, also known as Thermac. The lower body and snorkle of the air filter has several devices to sense the temperature of the engine and the ambient air.

AIS or AIR
Air Injection System. Uses one or two air/smog pumps and pipework to inject air into the exhaust manifolds.

EFE
Early Fuel Evaporation System. Vacuum driven butterfly valve normally on the drivers side exhaust manifold used to speed engine warmup by redirecting hot exhaust gasses under the intake manifold.

EGR
Exhaust Gas Recirculation. A valve on the intake manifold that recirculates exhaust gas into the intake to lower emissions.

EVAP
Evaporative Emissions Control System. Normally a series of pipes and valves leading to canister filled with charcoal to absorb fuel vapors, and later allow the engine to draw in and burn them.

SPK
Spark Control System. Senses engine speed and temperature to adjust ignition timing and emissions equipment.

TVS
Thermostatic Vacuum Sensor. Vacuum valve that senses either air or coolant temperature to adjust or direct vacuum.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
For California, Gasoline powered Motorhomes are subjct to emissions testing if they were produced AFTER 1975.
Diesels are emissions test exempt until 1998.

The test involves two steps.
A visual inspection, and the actual emissions test.

The visual inspection involves them checking that the vehicle has ALL of the emissions equipment that it was manuafactured as new with, and that everything is functional.
There is some flexibility, but only if it does not effect the emissions. A good example would be changing the intake manifold for a better design, but it would have to be a approved item with a CARB number to pass.
Banks Power kits fall under this exception, and are fully approved.
They also are allowed to select a component for testing if they are concerned that it is non functional.
Wrong carbureter.. fail. Missing smog pump.. fail.
The smog station needs to check and confirm what year and state the chassis spec is.

The first step is to check the Emissions sticker that is normally on the Air Cleaner body.
They are looking for something like this one from a 1984 Airstream 310, Federal spec.

There should be another label, but I cannot find a good example of it at this time.

They also use a book similar to this one to reference what equipment should be fitted.

The section that covers Motorhomes on GM chassis looks like this..

If the vehicle passes the visual test, they use the book details to check ignition timing, and if this is correct, they test the vehicle at idle and at about 2000rpm with an exhaust probe.
The actual emissions level are variable by county and year.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Sure glad I live in Georgia. No emissions requirements for anything over 8000lb GVW.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Colorado Diesel Emissions

You need Diesel Emissions testing along the front range of Colorado annualy for any diesel vehicle over 10 years old and over 14,000 lbs every year.

Diesel Emissions Program Area

The full counties of Boulder, Jefferson, Broomfield, Denver, and Douglas, and the partial counties of Adams and Arapahoe, Larimer, Weld, and El Paso.

Prices vary but they can charge up to 1 hour of their normal shop rate. I pay about $100. The heavy diesel stations are not as convenient as the regular vehicle emissions testing stations and you have to make an appointment.

They do run the heavy vehicles on a roller dynomometer.

My 95 360 Classic passed the first year but was pretty close. Shortly after that I installed the Banks Power Pack which visibly helped with the opacity and passed with flying colors last year. They didn't have any problems accepting the modifications I did. You can look on my Banks installation thread in this forum for more information.

Here is an example of the test form. Left side was this year, Right side was before the Banks install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emissions 004 (Large).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	171933  
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Awesome info guys!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Kentucky, no emissions testing, period.

That's the way I like it

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Man do I love the simplicity of a mechanical diesel. On top of that we don't have inspections anyway. Life is great. I hope it's OK to gloat a little.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Life is great. I hope it's OK to gloat a little.

Cheers, Dan
I hope so cause I'm gloating right along with you!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I hope so cause I'm gloating right along with you!
Yup, I bet you guys are!

Thats the whole point of this thread!
I knew I would have to smog the AS, or was prepared for it.
What I didnt know was how difficult it is to find out what equipment was originally fitted and how it functions. Once I found out, cross referencing the parts to other models. I have spent time looking at diagrams, photographing trucks at the junkyard and making sketches. Now I think I have it all figured out.
For example... the 1984 Federal Motorhome has no EGR... that one thing changes the vacuum pipe configuration.
This week I will lay out all the parts I have in their correct order and take some photos.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh, my smog book revealed some more info...

Isuzu page..

Cummins pages..

Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Keyair even that doesn't apply. The 84-87 Isuzu's listed are all turbo charged. The Isuzu's Airstream used were normally aspirated and then an aftermarket low pressure BAE turbo was installed. Mine is an 81 chassis anyway.

It would be interesting to know what Airstream was thinking when they built these coaches.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I am lucky enough to own a little property in Montana. No emissions testing, and there is a cottage industry that revolves around forming corporations for individuals who want to register their RV's there.

I bought our 310 with California smog equipment on it. If I ever get to stay where it is parked long enough, what is involved with removing all of that stuff? My particular concerns are adjusting the carb and the little pipes that are pulling exhaust out of each of the header pipes.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
I am lucky enough to own a little property in Montana. No emissions testing, and there is a cottage industry that revolves around forming corporations for individuals who want to register their RV's there.

I bought our 310 with California smog equipment on it. If I ever get to stay where it is parked long enough, what is involved with removing all of that stuff? My particular concerns are adjusting the carb and the little pipes that are pulling exhaust out of each of the header pipes.
I recently "de-smogged" a 1985 305 CID Chevrolet engine and determined that it was counterproductive as to performance and was costly to boot! I would be more concerned with the issues of E-10 fuel in older gas engines. I do have a 1993 P-30 MH that was sold new in California and I really don't have any issues with the smog controls. A really good tune-up is worth the money on a 454 CID engine.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
[QUOTE=Denis4x4;1224042]I recently "de-smogged" a 1985 305 CID Chevrolet engine and determined that it was counterproductive as to performance and was costly to boot!

Good point. The 310 is tuned and runs fine, I am just a little jealous of some of the gas mileage figures that I have seen and afraid of the stories of smog pumps seizing up while on the road. But, I will move this one down on the list.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Steve,

In all of those books and manuals that you've collected do any of them have vacuum line routing and/or emissions information?

Even though we don't have emissions checks here in Kentucky I would still like to get the system configured similar to what it should have.

When we bought the 74 Argosy the original engine and all ancillary equipment were gone. I've been collecting parts and trying to piece things back together with minimal to no information to work from. It's been a challenge trying to find brackets and the correct hardware for mounting everything.

I do have the Chevy light truck service manual, Chevy owners manual, Chevy over hall manual, Chevy Motorhome Chassis parts manual and the Chevy wiring diagram manual but I can't find the vacuum information in any of those.

Heck, I'm not 100% sure how the heater hoses are connected. The 345 I dismantled didn't have all of the heater hoses hooked up so there wasn't much help there.

Little things like which thermostat housing is right and the correct part numbers for the radiator supports are still driving me nuts. Although I may have resolved the thermostat housing issue last night.

Brad
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Too funny Brad, and your timing is perfect!
I have a few of them and am collecting more!

Looking at the 1974 GM emissions...
Your motor was a 7.0l 427 Big Block, and the only boxes ticked are PCV, ACL, and SPK. There was no difference between Fed and CA.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Lets start with this one, and I will pull together others as we go..
BTW... these emissions lables/diagrams are called VECI.. Vehicle Emission Control Information...

Here is the 1984 FEDERAL VECI lables and how they equates to the carb, and vacuum diagram.
Please note, that you must have the correct carb for this to work.

These are the DDN VECI lables from Kempros's Federal 1983 310

These are the XFZ VECI lables on Surprise's Federal 1984 310.

After studying both, I felt they were the same.

For simplicity, I broke this down into seperate systems to make it easy to see and follow...

This is the AIR injection pump and control system.
It is mainly controled by the "TRC Solenoid Control Valve, which is the item on the top left. This controls the TRC(Throttle Return Control) vacuum pod on the drivers side front of carb. Its job is to hold open the carb butteryflys on coasting to reduce HC emissions.
Vacuum is taken from the drivers side forward vacuum nipple on the carb, is T'd to go to the AIR pump. The other side of the T goes to the TRC valve which is controlled by a relay that senses engine speed. The opening and closing of this valve controls the AIR pump engagement and the TRC vacuum pod.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Too funny Brad, and your timing is perfect!
I have a few of them and am collecting more!

Looking at the 1974 GM emissions...
Your motor was a 7.0l 427 Big Block, and the only boxes ticked are PCV, ACL, and SPK. There was no difference between Fed and CA.
I'd have to say that data is flawed. The two choices of motors for the Argosy was 350 small block or 454 big block. Mine came with the 454 originally, even says so on the side of the Argosy!

Actually none of the manuals I have mention the 427 in the Light Truck series 10 thru 30.

I know what PCV is but I'll have to do some research on the ACL and SPK.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
To finish the AIR sytem is the pump, pipes valves and injection pipes.
Note that the drivers side antibackfire valve on the exhaust manifold pipes is angled up and foward and the pass side is flat, to get the pipes in the correct postions.
The drivers side goes up and over to reach the AIR pump's diverter valve.

Next system, also fitted on the 1984 Federal 454, is the ACL or thermostatically controlled air cleaner, which is linked in with the EFE system.

Here is the underside of the aircleaner showing the pipe routing and connections.

And here is it flipped over with the connection to carb shown.
Note, that the aircleaner is connected to the front pass side vacuum nipple on the carb, and the rear pass side vacuum pod, called the rear vacuum break assembly.
The item off to the Fwd left is the coolant sensor called the TVS(Thermal Vacuum Switch), which is screwed into the Thermostat housing and controls the EFE valve on the drivers side exhaust manifold, via teh vacuum pipe which goes off to the left.

The TVS valves look something like this:

And the EFE valve looks something like this..
But note, that if you have the Banks Exhaust headers, this valve is moved way down onto teh end of the collector..