Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
When CARB was formed in the late sixties, I was handling the advertising and marketing for a number of speed equipment manufacturers. People at DMV didn't know anything then either! There was a window in the late eighty's that exempted MH's. HOT ROD Magazine did several feature stories on building performance engines that would pass CARB standards. At one time, manifold manufacturers were casting units without logos and suggesting that the buyers paint them with the correct engine colors. Every time the speed equipment industry built CARB compliant equipment, they'd change the rules. One of the reasons I live in SW Colorado!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Geez. That's interesting. It's all a little too complicated. But the regs sound more sympathetic to the old-vehicle owner than I originally thought.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Lightbulb Emissions

Jenniflow:
Quote:
I suspect that there was an issue with one or both of the pumps, and they were bypassed.
I strongly suspect that Keyair, (like the good lad he is) is trying to lead you to water, and save you some agro.
In other words, find out if those air pumps, (or pump,) are actually able to rotate. If they can be turned put the belt on. Are the "big" hoses from the
pumps to the air injection system there? How about the air injection pipes? (they go into the exhaust manifold)
Any mechanic, or mechanically inclined person, can tell very quickly if the parts are there.
If so, then go get your emissions test.

But before you drive that 12000 lb vehicle.

*** ! Brakes come first ! The Brakes should be your first concern above all else!
Knowingly driving with bad brakes is willful negligence! ***
Please, please, do not take chances.
We really do not want anything bad to happen to you.
All the best. Cheers! Rich.
LimeyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
You are completely right about brakes first, Rich. I have been hoping that Airslide would be able to work on the brakes on Sunday but we're having a deluge here and it looks like it's not going to let up by Sunday. I did drive the coach 3 hours from up north, not realizing that the brake light might have been referring to the foot brakes and not the hand brake and, though they were a little softer than usual, they worked pretty well. I had no trouble stopping the vehicle.

Are you saying that they could suddenly fail with this MC leak problem? or that they will gradually weaken? If Airslide can't work on it on Sunday i'd have to drive her to get someone else to work on the brakes or have her towed. I only have a week left for this stuff before I have to move on to the next thing for quite a while and I need to get her registered one way or another.

If Vinnie is able to get here, he might be able see whether the pumps are in place, although I hear he is a "trailer guy." ;-)
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
OK, so I'm going to get her towed on Monday to a local truck service if Vinnie gets washed away. I just lined it up. Thanks you guys. Very bracing advice!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Yes to brakes first!
Yup Richie, just trying to help and save time and money where possible!

As far as the smog goes, I have done SOOO much research and learned so much about it... which is why I started this thread, to educate us all and share what I have learned!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
I should have known you were already up to your neck in this, Keyair! Here I thought I had learned something new 8-}
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Keyair and Airstreams

Yes Jenni, Keyair is really a major help to any and everyone on these forums!
Keyair and some of the other guys have saved me hours and days of work and indecision since I bought my 345 in 2007.
Master cylinders are nothing to be casual about, especially old ones. They might leak for ages and not go out completely. Or, if the piston seals are rotted, they could fail in both circuits at once, unlikely, but who needs to find out the hard way? Besides our Airstreams are very heavy, and at the edge of braking safety when everything is working correctly.
Just not worth a tragedy.
The truck place should also be able to take a look at your emissions equipment and tell you exactly what it needs.
All the best. Cheers! Rich.
LimeyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Unfortunately, this truck place is not interested in my emissions system but the guys up the road are. (Yay) But I may have to store it on a non-op before I have time to do all that's needed. (Boo.)

And yes, I know what you mean: Mine is 16,500 pounds and is definitely a body in motion that tends to stay in motion in the best of conditions! Good Sam has this one. Let's hope that'e enough towing for one week.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Yay! Excellent. Thanks so much! Now I can go in, knowing exactly how they can and can't rip me off! I have an appointment on Monday. Hopefully, we can get it all working soon after. I'll need a tune-up and I'm hoping for relatively easy sailing on that score.

Then there's the wipers and the master cylinder ... but hey, who needs to brake and see, anyhow?
I'm sure I have the pulley you need. The 345 I dismantled was an 86 model with all of the smog equipment present.

I am out of town until Monday afternoon.

Let me know which pump, upper or right side.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Now that is great news! Thanks Brad! As soon as we look at it, I'll tell you what they'll need.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Question Big time pressure to smog. Need advice!

OK, guys I've got some serious time pressure here and a puzzle for the wise folk of Airforums! I hope you have a moment to comment.

They've done a lot of work on my emissions system and they've managed to get the hydrocarbons down from 2000 to 203. It needs to be at 250 for the low speed test. It already passes the high speed test.

The CO readings pass the high speed test, too, but not the low speed. They say it needs to be a 1.5 and now it's at 2.76. They've improved these readings a lot too but whenever they make further adjustments, they send the hydrocarbons up above the allowable threshold.

According to them, there no vacuum leaks,
they've adjusted the carburetor,
the timing is set properly,
they've replace spark plugs and wires - and say it runs really great

They suspect that maybe something is leaking inside the carburetor,
but they're worried that a new one, if they can find one, would costs $600-700?
Years ago they would have overhauled carburetor, but they don't have anyone good at that any more. They have a retired 80-year old mechanic who used to do it, but, as my guy tactfully put it, "Now it's hard to keep him pointed in the right direction."

This a truck repair place that does not see a lot of these vehicles these days but they have experience with these chassis and engines.

I need to register the vehicle by tomorrow one way or another. I either succeed in smogging it and register it to operate and pay a much lower storage fee, or I register it as a non-op and pay through the nose for non-op storage for at least 4 months.

Any thoughts?!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Summit Racing advertises rebuilt quadrajets for $299, but finding the right carb in your area in one might be tough. Even if it costs twice that, at least it's not money wasted on DMV fees.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sounds like you are making great progress!
Put it in Non-Op, and get a day "Permission to Move" pass when you move it to take it to back to be repaired or smog.
Around here, in Orange County, outside secure parking is about $150/month...

I suggest you look around for a Quadrajet Experience guy... and take/send yours and have it rebuilt.
The high HC or Hydocarbons are unburnt fuel, so the carb maybe dropping fuel internally..
Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Waipio, that's a great lead. And this might be the right solution but not the immediate solution. I will look into getting that part installed later. Maybe someone has some ideas for how to improve these readings? Or is too hard to second-guess what they're doing without more info? If so, is there more info I can get that would help?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
A few years back a buddy of mine had smog issues and these guys rebuilt his carb and he swore by them...
The have a 48hr service...
The Carb Shop Rebuild Repair Restore
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
OK, guys I've got some serious time pressure here and a puzzle for the wise folk of Airforums! I hope you have a moment to comment.

They've done a lot of work on my emissions system and they've managed to get the hydrocarbons down from 2000 to 203. It needs to be at 250 for the low speed test. It already passes the high speed test.

The CO readings pass the high speed test, too, but not the low speed. They say it needs to be a 1.5 and now it's at 2.76. They've improved these readings a lot too but whenever they make further adjustments, they send the hydrocarbons up above the allowable threshold.

According to them, there no vacuum leaks,
they've adjusted the carburetor,
the timing is set properly,
they've replace spark plugs and wires - and say it runs really great

They suspect that maybe something is leaking inside the carburetor,
but they're worried that a new one, if they can find one, would costs $600-700?
Years ago they would have overhauled carburetor, but they don't have anyone good at that any more. They have a retired 80-year old mechanic who used to do it, but, as my guy tactfully put it, "Now it's hard to keep him pointed in the right direction."

This a truck repair place that does not see a lot of these vehicles these days but they have experience with these chassis and engines.

I need to register the vehicle by tomorrow one way or another. I either succeed in smogging it and register it to operate and pay a much lower storage fee, or I register it as a non-op and pay through the nose for non-op storage for at least 4 months.

Any thoughts?!
Unfortunately I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to emissions. It does sound like you found the pulley you needed which is good.

Makes me glad I've always lived places where smog testing doesn't take place.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what happens.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey Brad, it turns out I didn't need a pulley at all. There was only one pump and they said it looked like there had never been a second so as far as they were concerned they could pass it. Now, the fact that it's not smogging .... well, I think I'll just have to do the non-op and maybe try rebuilding or replacing the carburetor when I get back to the U.S.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hey Brad, it turns out I didn't need a pulley at all. There was only one pump and they said it looked like there had never been a second so as far as they were concerned they could pass it. Now, the fact that it's not smogging .... well, I think I'll just have to do the non-op and maybe try rebuilding or replacing the carburetor when I get back to the U.S.
Waiting until you get back is probably your best choice. Sometimes when things get rushed that only makes it worse, been there done that!

Spend the next four months finding your best option for a new or rebuilt carburetor.

Enjoy your trip!

Brad
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I mi-stated in my previous post.
High HC at idle is related to lean mixture, if all other reading are passing...
On the Quadrajet, there are a couple of common air leak spots.
Base plate gasket leaks, and throttle shaft leaks...

Look here for good carb related smog info!
Recarbco - Carburetor Smog Diagnostic Chart