Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2004, 03:12 PM   #21
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I found the problem. When the shop put on the inside AC cover, one of the screws went into the feed wire and caused a short. I found this out after unhooking the wires at the breaker and wiring it directly to an extension cord. Of course it worked and I figured it was the breaker. I took out the breaker and tested it and it seemed to be fine so I put it all back in and it worked this time. I was fiddling around with the wires up in the AC and must have moved them away from the screw that was causing the problem. When I was putting it all back together I noticed the broken insulation at the place where the screw went back in. I rerouted the wire and problem solved.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
. . . .so much for "they tested it at their facility and it worked fine."
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
. . . .so much for "they tested it at their facility and it worked fine."
Really. And pride in workmanship.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
camping world ac installs

i could have the acs installed by camping world. if you want drip pans you have to provide them. the only drip pans you can get is for the duo therm penquin. so your choice is limited. if you insist they will install without a pan but you will have the drip over the side. but you can get any brand they sell, if you dont mine the streak, you will soon have down the side of the airstream. and they charge what ever they advertise. last month it was $35.
i hear they dont do airstreams but they always ask when i want it done?? think you need to ask.. the only time i had a problem was with the coleman acs and the drip problem, their response was you provide a pan and we will do it.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Your karma must have done a dramatic reversal. That's a double fluke, one to cause the problem and then another finding it. Kind of thing that could drive you crazy.
When you put in the new wire was the inside skin off? If not how did you run it?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
drip pans

Another way to avoid water running down the side of the trailer if you don't have the drain line already in the tailer wall is to plug all but one of the holes in bottom of the AC tray, take a drain tube from the remaining hole and snake it thru your sink vent pipe. It will drain down and out with the gray water. I drilled a hole in the side of my vent cover to accept the tubing and will possible add on rivet on a aluminum bracket to hold down the tubing. One of my fellow club members gave me the idea.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #27
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Paul,
No, the inside skin was still on. I ran the 12/3 wire up the inside wall of the closet and over through the wood bulkhead into the cabinet above the sink. From there I went inside the skins, with the use of a coat hanger and up to the vent opening. My breaker panel is on the streetside in the pantry, which used to be a wardrobe closet. If you do this, be sure to use grommets at all skin entry points for the wires. This took appr. 45 minutes a couple of months ago.

FF

P.S.: Karma, what karma?

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote