Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
Air bag source

Does anyone have a good source for the air bags on a p-30
chassis I just had one die on me and will need to replace both front bags
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The front bags replacement are made by AirLift. You can also get a Firestone bag to do the same thing, but they may be harder to find. Being that you are in Nashville I would think the local Camping World would be a source if nothing else.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I just bought a set of Firestone airbags from the local NAPA dealer. $101 with tax. CW is cheaper, but I needed them today.
Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Air Bags

Thanks folks I bought a set from Camping World 62 bucks plus tax
and from the looks they are going to be fun to install. I just put on 4 new tires, got them from tires.com and they were 95 bucks each in the door. Not great but not bad. I am still looking for some of that motorhome side window lip mold if anyone finds anything that works I thought it would a lot eaiser to find but guess my timing is way bad. I'm hoping to get the glass back in the 310 before it freezes.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

removing air bags

I found that one way to remove the air bags is to take 2 large screwdrivers (big as you can work with under the coach) and stick them thru the bottom hole, one on either side of the bag, with the handles crossed below the a-frame. Then lever them away from each other and force the bottom of the bag thru the hole. Then get a huge pair of water pump pliers (about 2 feet long) and grab the bag and use the rounded top of the pliers for leverage against the a-frame to pull it out. You can get one out in about 10 minutes, without having to cut it. Getting the new one back in is just brute force and awkwardness.
Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
air bags

the instructions that came in the box says to cut the old schrader valve out with a 1.5 in whole saw with the center bit removed and then grab the bag with those pliers and I think to install
the new ones I'll pull a vacume on the bag with my ac vacume pump roll it up length wise and tie it up with a string then soap it up and give it a try from the bottom. Hopefully I can get enough
air out of the bag to get it rolled up nice and compact coz Iv'e
been told it's a bear to get them back in have you done this ?