Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Adding External Fuel Pump

Do you think I can add an inline electric fuel pump to my Landyacht?

I am thinking about adding one external to the fuel tank, rather than drop the fuel tank to replace the original.

Will the external fuel pump draw through the old internal pump pick up tube?

I know this sounds hokey but I have looked at dropping the fuel tank and it does not look like fun.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Fraught with peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Do you think I can add an inline electric fuel pump to my Landyacht?

I am thinking about adding one external to the fuel tank, rather than drop the fuel tank to replace the original.

Will the external fuel pump draw through the old internal pump pick up tube?

I know this sounds hokey but I have looked at dropping the fuel tank and it does not look like fun.

Smily
You might try and find one rated at the correct delivery pressure first. Fuel injection requires considerably higher pressure than carburators do, so not just any external fuel pump will work.

Its fairly easy to see if the new pump will draw through the old one - disconnect the fuel line at some point, and suck on it with an appropriate vacuum source .

I ran an electric fuel pump on my carberated Suburban for a while when the mechanical fuel pump went out. The rattling noise it transmitted through the frame drove me nuts! I am much happier with my replacement mechanical pump.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Fuel flow

As I mentioned in my other post, I am getting fuel to the now disconnected fuel filter. I only get fuel when I am turning the engine over.

Is this an indiction that the electric pump is working properly?

Based on your post on the other thread, I am assuming that the fuel pump is not working "well enough", or the pressure is too low.

I must admit that I am definitely going to be checking the fuel line behind the (chassis) filter first. As in the carbuerator filter, (if it has one), and the portals that lead to the injectors, (top of throttle body).

Smily
Old 04-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Fuel flow again

Further more, as I wrote earlier, I am obviously getting fuel but just not enough.

So in my mind, it seems that:
a. fuel is coming through the existing internal fuel pump.
b. the existing fuel pump is working to some degree beacuse the line is disconnected from the mechanical, (I think).

Does the mechanical pump suck / draw fuel from the tank or
does the mechanical pump push fuel from the tank, (pressurization)?

If the inline filter is disconnected and the fuel line is dis-continous, can the engine get fuel form the tank? (it will not start when fuel filter is removed).

I guess what I am asking is, are there two or more lines to the fuel tank?

I am aware of a return line and I do see more than one line going towards the fuel tank.

Am I clear as mud?
Smily
Old 04-07-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You nailed it, Ken

Quote:
...I am assuming that the fuel pump...pressure is too low.
That's what I am thinking.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Does the mechanical pump suck / draw fuel from the tank or
does the mechanical pump push fuel from the tank, (pressurization)?
The mechanical pump sucks/draws fuel from the tank

Quote:
If the inline filter is disconnected and the fuel line is dis-continous, can the engine get fuel form the tank? (it will not start when fuel filter is removed).
Huh? If you are thinking an auxillary or backup supply line, I have never seen one.

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is, are there two or more lines to the fuel tank?

I am aware of a return line and I do see more than one line going towards the fuel tank.
Depending on your configuration, there could be three or more lines attached to the fuel tank. One fuel supply line, one fuel return line, and possibly a line from a charcoal cannister or some other emissions device.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
Smile

if you have fuel injected engine you don't have a mechanical fuel pump. why??? you could never get the pressure needed to feed the fi system. i dropped my tank and it isn't a easy task but it can be done. careful not to damage the filler hose they is expensive. you probably have a filter in the tank that is clogging up and to add a external pump is a short term fix,until the filter clogs up and notta. a pump would cost about $100. so bite the bullet and drain the tank and do it right. when you break down with a fuel tank filter problem it will be expensive. and it is not a repair you can do on the side of the road.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

fuel pump woes

You only have one choice. Drop the tank. You have one fuel pump: in the tank. It is old and probably NG. The volume required on start up is minimal. There are no aftermarket external pumps that will work. Sometimes the problem is a tiny piece of dirt gets into the pump, These pumps are way too small.Follow the intake line from the throttle body to where it enters the tank. Smack the tank with a rubber mallet. Iy MAY make the pump work again. Also check the fuel pump relay.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote