Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #61
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Hey guys, when you replace the Ignition module be sure and put the dielectric lube on the bottom of the module to conduct the heat away. If not applied, it will be toast pronto. I am glad to have the old GM HEI ignition in my 1984. One module I can deal with better than 25 on-board computers like today's autos.
kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR View Post
An ignition modual is required parts for any RV. Learn to change this important part. With a little training, you will never be on a hook. Get one for your engine. Frank
It is worth the couple of dollars extra to get the "genuine" delco module vs the "no name" module that routinely comes from a province in Tiawan or China. That module lives in a severe environment, and as such, needs all the help it can get. Same holds true for the cap, rotor and coil. This is one area where it is not wise to shop too much for a"bargain!" As such,
it can be a very expensive bargain!!! Don't ask how I know!! Guess I had already offered this bit of sage advice earlier, but it still holds true!
lonestranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #63
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
By all means buy the Delco-Remy Module. Every time I find an older GM dealership, I buy the module from them. Usually the turn on modules has slowed down now, and the dealer will come closer to having one made in the USA before the far East guys got in the module business.
Mike
Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #64
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile 7.4 L tune-up

Update Post on the thread. HEI module replacement is on the money in this post. Replacing Plug Wires: Very important!! wires running to cylinders 5 & 7 must be kept well separated to prevent induction firing (crossfiring) These wires should cross each other at 90 degree angles to prevent crossfiring. On the mufflers: I just replaced my stock units with FlowmasterII 70 Series for Big Block RV engines. Noise level outside is some louder, without added resonance inside coach. Not too loud by any means, but deeper sound.
Mike
Old 03-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Mike, I refer to that sound as being "round" and there's no mistaking it for a big block.

A word of caution. When the weather is nice with window open on the driver side and you're in stop and go traffic make sure you don't get too attached to the sound. You'll find your right foot getting a little too happy and your fuel economy will suffer.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #66
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
My wife says my foot is too "happy" even before the Flowmasters.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

This is one for 'Chuckles' from Dorset, I have 86 345 MO and had a guy in Brixton,London, make me two mufflers (one for each side) 16" long by 6" diameter 2 1/2" diameter straight throughs and full length 2 1/2" tail pipes in stainless steel for £232 all in. You can tell it's a big block but it's not too loud to bug you and I can feel the better torque in the drive now that I took off the air injection that went with the old system. The standard headers will need to go also, but that's one for next winter.
moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
"Sounds" good Moonshine! - (sorry about the pun)

I must say I am very pleased with my mufflers and true to the chap who made them, they are getting quieter each time out - in fact it is almost as quiet as a car!

Performance remains good although I am having difficulty setting the mixture exactly. In panic before the MOT I managed to reduce the emissions well down but now wonder about overall performance - will find that out on our next trip to Oswestry later in June. I set up the rebuilt QJet with a vacuum guage and it seems OK - we shall see.

Just completed the GV fitting and that does exactly what they say it does , drop them by about 500-600 when over 45mph.

Good luck with the headers. My Summit ones are OK but the gaskets are something else - constantly tightening the bolts. By the way go the extra and get the replacement S/S HT bolts with locks by Summit.

My only regret at this stage is to run the exhausts each side; not down one side (Drivers). Why? The only place to fit a second LPG tank for a conversion is between the prop and the chassis. I want to replace the large (120) Domestic tank with a liquid take off for the engine conversion, and fit a vapour take off narrow tank in the space between prop and chassis, for Domestic. Still cant find that narrow tank!

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
BTW
Nice to know there is another AS MH here. We had a 345 here last year for preparation, and although in a bit of a state, they do have their finer points.

Let is keep an eye out for each other...

Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Chuck,

I have a GV on mine already and its great for RPM and MPG mine came with a LPG kit, but it takes it's gas from the big tank too. SO is the LPG gas we get from a fuel station the same as the gas we would cook with ? (as i'm not sure what sort of gas I should fill it with). so can I make this work ? as I am going to drop the big tank to get it powder coated (pressure tested first) as it has some outside corrosion. Thanks for the bolt kit advice, as far as emissions go my MOT guys just laghed when I said how big the motor was

Regards Paul
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Gents, after re-doing header gaskets a few times I finally took the advise of one mechanic and did away with the header-gasket style for copper crush gaskets. I've not had any issues with bolt loosening since.

I do a "tighten up" check under and on top of the coach about once a month. My creeper gets a good workout and I get the peace of mind knowing that nothing is loose or hanging....or heaven forbid ready to fall off.

I got so good at replacing header gaskets that I could do it in about 10 minutes per side. No issues since switching to copper crush.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Gents, after re-doing header gaskets a few times I finally took the advise of one mechanic and did away with the header-gasket style for copper crush gaskets. I've not had any issues with bolt loosening since.
Glen,

Any chance that you would have part numbers available for thes gaskets? Its nice to know there is a better alternative.

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Sorry Brad I don't have a part number. I just walk into NAPA and asked for them for a BBC with square ports and they handed them to me.

Shouldn't be a big deal as I'm sure they are made by a few different makers.

After so many blowouts of the thicker "header" gaskets it was great to find a solution that worked though.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 05-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Chuck,

I have a GV on mine already and its great for RPM and MPG mine came with a LPG kit, but it takes it's gas from the big tank too. SO is the LPG gas we get from a fuel station the same as the gas we would cook with ? (as I'm not sure what sort of gas I should fill it with). so can I make this work ? as I am going to drop the big tank to get it powder coated (pressure tested first) as it has some outside corrosion. Thanks for the bolt kit advice, as far as emissions go my MOT guys just laughed when I said how big the motor was

Regards Paul
Yes Paul it is the same gas (LPG) I have an account with a farm suppliers and as the majority of LPG bought was for domestic they only charge the "Heating"rate of VAT!

I too was told that you can use the same tank but have reservations on that, still it is worth looking at.

As regards emissions, after tweaking the QJet the readout is now 1.87% CO and 77ppm on HOC. Just hope it will still go up a 1:4 on our road North out of here!

Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Chuck, do you know where I can get an adaptor to fit USA to Uk for filling up ?

Paul.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
I do have an odd one in stock, and can get them for you but try Duncan at RV Spares, Accessories, Parts and Servicing - Star Spangled Spanner first. He has a bigger stock than I have and he is a very helpfull chap.
Any problems PM or give me a call.

BTW in Dungate near Dungyness?

Chuck

Old 05-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
You may be interested in this lot...
RVOC The American RV Owners Club it not really classics but they seem a nice crowd! We are going to their Oswestry rally later this week.

Also there is UKAirstreamers.org - Index page although mainly trailers we have been to a couple of their meets.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Chuck, Dungate is between Canterbury and Maidstone in Kent not far from faversham.

thanks for the tips on the gas adapters, I will give Duncan a call.

Paul.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Sorry Brad I don't have a part number. I just walk into NAPA and asked for them for a BBC with square ports and they handed them to me.

Shouldn't be a big deal as I'm sure they are made by a few different makers.

After so many blowouts of the thicker "header" gaskets it was great to find a solution that worked though.
We haven't had a blowout yet without Banks headers but I'm sure the day will happen. Also I have the Argosy 454 engine that is waiting to be installed and I have a set of headers for it as well.

This is good information to have.

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Brad, what did you use on the Banks system for gaskets? I went through lots of aggravation on my earlier coach with the header gaskets and then on the AS until I went to the crush type. FYI I did go for the heavier flanges on the Headmans.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach