Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #281
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Boxite, this is not the forum to discuss issues like this. How Israel does things compared to what TSA has nothing to do with Mel changing his 454 over to a diesel.

If you want to discuss this issue further then start a thread in a more appropriate forum and invite Mel to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
You've obviously never been on a hijacked plane, and have little idea how many TSA has thwarted.

Yes, security is troublesome. And usually gov't ops aren't the most "efficient".
But efficient is measured in the eyes of the beholder. You were in a hurry so the time spent seemed without value.
But if you'd ever been on a hijacked plane.... there'd be no amount of time you wouldn't spend to avoid that experience again.

(Sorry for the thread hijack, but it was already introduced.
The Israeli airline, El Al, kept my friend for four hours in an interview before allowing him onboard. He was the Hispanic mayor of a small town in Texas, (resembles Arabic to some people) visiting the Holy Land and returning home.
When he got home, he found that security had called three of his neighbors to inquire of him and to confirm his occupation, and even asked if they knew where he was "today". Only after one of them confirmed to be feeding the family pets while they were away in Israel was he allowed onboard. Now, THAT is security! ...and a bit slower than TSA.)

So... how long do you feel YOUR security wait is of value?)
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #282
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
One think to add to the 'to do' list: Gas tank for the generator.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #283
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Right, and no #2 in the gas tank and no gas in the #2 tank!
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #284
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Right, and no #2 in the gas tank and no gas in the #2 tank!
That may hurt. I'm thinking I got enough room behind the hose/electric reels with the fill at the left rear through the plastic bumper wrap. I need a new one (bumper wrap) anyway after I backed into my electric box.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #285
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I did just get back from a 50 test run. The wife went along. Not sure if it's any more noise than the 454. I can still hear the wife screaming to slow down at 65 mph.
Do need to get the a/c working. W/o generator or dash ac driving down the road in 95 degrees isn't that much fun.
One thing that does concern me is the shift of the tranny. I don't drop into 1st at a stop, it down shifts about the time the turbo spins up. Never noticed that with the gas. But then the gas did have more power from idle.
Doing 70 mph hills aren't even noticed. But I don't like it turning 22-2300 rpm either.
GearVender is on a short list too. That'd bring the cruising speed down to 1760 rpm. If I did that, I may be about to understand what the wife is screaming at me

I need to go on a bike ride (well trike) This is thirsty Thursday night down at the Irish pub
Old 08-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #286
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Are you a Jameson or Bushmills?
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 08-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Glad to hear you are over the hump!!Hopefully it is all down hill from here. The rest of the work, although often overwhelming, should be a piece of cake compared to what you have accomplished so far. Congrats!!
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #288
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post

I need to go on a bike ride (well trike) This is thirsty Thursday night down at the Irish pub

Reminds me of the 3 old guys walking down the street. 1- Windy isn't it? 2 - No, it's Thursday, 3 - Me Too, let's get a drink!

Good job on the swap! Always a good feeling when a plan comes together.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #289
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Dang! $3350 for a gearvender overdrive! I need some guidance on this! I'm the third guy.... lets get a drank
Old 09-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #290
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
So, for all you followers I just got back from my first test run going outside the 100 mile AAA tow range.
Drove 362 miles trying to keep it under 65mph. Ran 2100 to 2400rpm. Really need to get that rpm down to around 1500 rpm. Not getting enough air. The EGT wants to go up and up. I let off the accelerator when if got to 1300 degrees. Pulled the Suzuki Vita for about 100 miles but stopped because of the EGT.
Have a "Wicked Turban' coming tomorrow. That should give me faster boost, more boost and lower EGT.
The next problem is to get the rpm down. Oh, the tranny don't want to shift into first gear until I floor it and gets up to about 10mph. Need to find a tranny guy!!! Help!! Help!!
I know I need a gear vendor, but that won't get the rpm down that much, so, I'm thinking of first going up one size on the tires????? The two on the tag axle are tread less and the other four are getting old. But then that's six tires.
This thing really want to go FAST and I did go too fast, but still got 8.7 mpg.
Maybe I need to start a 'go fund it'
Old 09-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #291
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Gears

I believe this is the set I have.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...9-1x/overview/

The PO put it in, and I would say it is the correct set-up.
I wish you lived closer, you really should test mine out and see if you like the gearing, I think it is perfect.
We bought our 310 with the 6BT swap done, and have put 15,000 miles on it since we have owned it.

We typically get about double the milage you are getting, I do not have a pyrometer, but I have never "felt" like she was getting too hot.

We just drove the entire AlCan as well as the grades into and out of Skagway, and Valdez among many other torture tests on our 12,000 mile Alaskan shakedown mission.

I do have the GearVendor on board and would definitely advise anyone to grab one if you are doing any long distance highway driving.

We Run 70-75mph, which is about as fast as i feel confident that I can safely drive this coach, the engine has a little more, but the Brakes are definitely the limiting factor for me. lat me know if anyone has upgrade ideas on that end.

We go slow up big grades (over 7%), faster than semi's but slower than passenger cars. I flip the gear vendor off and steam up any grade with ease, a little slower than I could, but in my experience, lugging a heavy diesel up a big grade spells disaster, I just don't do it.

Let me know if you want to come up for a test drive anytime before you drop the cash.

Curt
SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #292
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
UPS guy came with the Wicked turbo wheel.
I thought I'd had a blowout on the way to the lake last week. Stopped and looked all the tires over and no flat, so I went on. Did seem to have a different vibration.
With that in mind, When I pulled the dog house off I had this laying across three circuit breakers on top of the motor.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02805.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	271206
This was my blowout! The radiator fan is now the 5 blade model. For some reason that was only known God, I covered all the studs of the breakers with vacuum hose. If not I would had the need to rewire and/or clean up the smoke damage. Ordered new blades from Dodge.
So that being said. I got the Wicked turbo wheel and the new boost gauge installed.
Tomorrow I take her in to get the tranny checked. Don't like it not shifting into 1st gear until it gets up some speed.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #293
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceStream View Post
I believe this is the set I have.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...9-1x/overview/

The PO put it in, and I would say it is the correct set-up.
I wish you lived closer, you really should test mine out and see if you like the gearing, I think it is perfect.
We bought our 310 with the 6BT swap done, and have put 15,000 miles on it since we have owned it.

We typically get about double the milage you are getting, I do not have a pyrometer, but I have never "felt" like she was getting too hot.

We just drove the entire AlCan as well as the grades into and out of Skagway, and Valdez among many other torture tests on our 12,000 mile Alaskan shakedown mission.

I do have the GearVendor on board and would definitely advise anyone to grab one if you are doing any long distance highway driving.

We Run 70-75mph, which is about as fast as i feel confident that I can safely drive this coach, the engine has a little more, but the Brakes are definitely the limiting factor for me. lat me know if anyone has upgrade ideas on that end.

We go slow up big grades (over 7%), faster than semi's but slower than passenger cars. I flip the gear vendor off and steam up any grade with ease, a little slower than I could, but in my experience, lugging a heavy diesel up a big grade spells disaster, I just don't do it.

Let me know if you want to come up for a test drive anytime before you drop the cash.

Curt
Sounds like you had a great trip!
My first move is a gearvendor then see about the tire size or rear end.
Would like to come up and see you though...... Maybe we could drag race
Old 09-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #294
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Angry

Whale poop! Got the credit card out and call GearVendor..... "Can't to the double overdrive with a load.... It's just make for running empty."
So I call around the OKC,OK area... My old standby Fleet Pride don't do motor home anymore..... I call United Engines..... "We only do third members." Now it's back to 'ME' re gearing the rearend and oversize tire to get the rpm down.
May need a GearVendor underdrive!

Curt do you have the same rear end in your 31 as is in the 34.5?
I really remember not liking to do rear end set up. I never did one that didn't whine! But then I have more patients now
Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #295
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Mel,
I know my Rear Diff is a Dana 70HD, I broke an axle shaft at the end of my road the weekend after I got back from a 2000 mile trip, I had to quickly familiarize myself with the rear end. I cannot be sure that it is the same in the 34.5, Airstream was extremely helpful in helping me nail down exactly what my coach shipped from the factory with and thankfully no one had touched it except for the gears. Gear Vendor makes overdrives for Semi's and bigger, I can't believe they would not build you one for your application. I have towed a car behind mine with no problem. as I said, I switch it off when I am going up a steep grade, Gear Vendor also told me to switch it off going down grades, I was already doing that as well as downshifting the trans at least one gear so I don't tax the brakes. Basically as it was described to me, when the Gear Vendor is off it is locked up 1-1 on Helical gears, when you turn it on, the gears disengage and you are driven through a series of clutches to the higher gear. They also recommended that I not have the gear vendor on while backing up a steep hill. Lastly, my 6BT is backed by an Allison 545 with a parking brake mated at the tailshaft, my Gear vendor is mounted midship behind the parking brake. I chalk the wheels if I park anywhere not flat for obvious reasons. Let me know if I can help in any way. If I head south in Sylvia anytime soon, I will let you know.

Curt
SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #296
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
The 'Silver Bullet' had the 545 in it. It's burnt up! That's why I have the 4L80e. I got a thread on here of that.

Stopped by the tire store about going to the 8.75R16.5. Not enough room between the tag and the drive they said.

Change the rear from 4.56 to 3.54 is a 22%. That would put my 1st gear close to the 2nd gear ratio. May need the underdrive to get away from a stop sign. I need to pull the pumpkin and see which rearend I have.

I got some help with the TCI transmission control. My problem is I take the rpm off the alternator. At idle the TCI thinks the rpm is 4000. That's why it won't shift into first at a stop. I don't know why it shifts at all.

I first tried to get tachometer to work off the crack shift sensor before buying a tach that worked off the alternator. Time to revisit that for rpm for the TCI.

Maybe it's cooled down and I can play with it again this afternoon. Got to get the fan off and be ready when the new comes.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #297
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Been cooling my heals waiting for Dodge to come through with the new fan blades and my brother to come home from his globe trotting. He has the oscilloscope so I can check for a signal off the crank sensor before going and spending $135 for a new one.

Got the fan from my local Dodge dealer yesterday. Didn't look like the broken one. Got home and pulled the old off the wall. Most diffidently NOT! It's smaller w/more pitch, 5 blade rather then 7, but the real deal breaker....... Wrong way for rotation. Back to Dodge. This time w/old fan blades. They run the number on the blade and DISCONTINUED!!!!
I check the world wide web: Over $700??? Find a blog on the subject which as of the last entry: none available!!!!! Come on after market folks, there's a need here!!!!

Don't want to go to electric radiator fans. Already have: 2 for the intercooler; 3 for the transmission coolers; intercooler water pump; Airdog fuel pump; and 2 fans in the dash air.

The search is on.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #298
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

Do you have a dodge or Cummins part number?
Old 09-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #299
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post

Back to Dodge. This time w/old fan blades. They run the number on the blade and DISCONTINUED!!!!
I check the world wide web: Over $700??? Find a blog on the subject which as of the last entry: none available!!!!! Come on after market folks, there's a need here!!!!
The search is on.

This problem seems to be cropping up fairly regularly these days with even relatively new trucks having NLA parts. You know it's bad when a guy with a 2009 F-150 can't get a climate control module as it has been discontinued and is no longer available. I can understand a 35 year old limited run motorhome having this problem, but a 7 year old, million unit pick-up?????

Goodluck with the search but Plan B maybe your best bet if Plan A is more expensive.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #300
1 Rivet Member

Sudbury , Ontario
I suspect this is going to be a problem with most modern vehicles in the future. As the electronic control modules fail (and there are a lot of them in modern vehicles) you will be SOL once the available supply has been depleted. One of the comments that came out of the F150 story referenced above was that North American manufacturers typically produce enough spare parts to last the warranty period. If there is an excessive draw on the spares they run out shortly after the warranty period ends. There is no legal requirement for domestic manufacturers to provide spares beyond the warranty.
Alumination is offline   Reply With Quote