Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

345 Monitor Panel

After years of putting up with an inaccurate Monitor Panel I am in the process of replacing it. I am using a digital computerized unit which gives an accurate 3-digit readout of all tank levels, battery and LP level. I will take pictures and keep you all informed. I am keeping the current panel and most of the other functions. Does anyone have a schematic of this Panel including the three circuit boards mounted on it? The new tank monitor system cost about $200 and provides an accurate 3 digit battery monitor system for both the engine and coach batteries.
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have a manual, I'll check and see if the schematic is in there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and your comments regarding this installation. My panel is apart right now and as I've been designing new upper cabinets I've been considering installing something smaller and more up to date (and hopefully more accurate) but didn't know where to start.

Please lead the way!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Smile New Monitor System Finished

Everything is installed and works fine. I used a Garnet Industries Model 709 which you can see at www.rvgauge.com. It provides percentage full for all the tanks and LP gas. I wired it to measure either my engine or coach batteries. It is a neat installation as you can see from the attached pictures. There are three plugs on the old Monitor panel. Two of them are for the fan, light, generator start etc. These should not be modified. The third plug goes to the led panel and brings the tank signals to this circuit board. I used the 3 sets of double cables to bring the signals from the sensers to the panel. They are all wired together at the panel, red for the hot side and clear for the ground. There are several wires going to the led circuit board. Use the red (battery voltage), black (ground) and the white with blue stripe (LP Gas). The other wires have to do with the auto-fill. My valve has been corroded for years so I just left this out. Without a schematic I could not figure out how the auto-fill works. This is the only part of the old monitor system that does not work. After you remove the old panel immediately put some tape on the edges of the opening since it is quite sharp and can give you some nasty cuts. I enlarged the opening for the led board and mounted the Model 709 there. I had to drilled two holes in the old panel and two in the range hood to mount the new panel. Garnet says they have installed their system in some of the newer Airstream trailers but not in any Motor Homes. I sent them a picture. If you want to give this a try let me know and I will give you some tips on where to mount the sensor boards. This is a little tricky. I now have an accurate (checked with my Fluke meter) three-digit battery monitor system and reasonably accurate tank monitors which will not deteriate over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smModel 709.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	9041   Click image for larger version

Name:	smDsc00967.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	9042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	smDsc00969.jpg