Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

345 M/H Question

In front of the couch area there is a wet spot and after reading a few posts I do think it is coming from the heater hose under the couch, the red hoses have a what looks like some type of heater control valve and I think this is the problem. Has anyone changed this and can it be aquired at an auto parts store as a GM part...
also does couch need to be removed to address this issue ?
This sounds like a Dennis question.
Texas Unit 9
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
sounds like a valve . i have a 310 and the valve is out front in line with the hoses going to the heater. i rather think you have a bad hose. if you have a jack knofe couch all you have to do is remove the bolts holding the hinge and you can pull the couch off the stand that is the housing for the storage drawers. you can see the hoses and get to them . but to replace them you will need to get to the back of the water heater . that is if you have the engine heater for your hot water if not your hose will only go to the heater under the couch. think i would move that valve back out in the engine compartment.
i replaced mine and one problem for some reason i could not get one to turn off completly. i cleaned the old one up and put it back on . loaded with rust, after clean up it worked ok. no leaks.
the valve should not leak period .
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
TexasStars, I have mine removed from the AS right now. Like Al's my valve was all corroded. Try hitting it with a wire brush and then soaking it in CLR (Calcium Lime Rust remover) for a night.

This mane mine functional again. I got a price on a GM heater valve once from PepBoys and I think he said $100 something - I can't remember because I think I stopped listening at about "one hund..."

You should have the same couch as me. You can access the heater from the three doors on the front of the couch, but honestly to really get at everything remove the couch. Four bolts on the back rest hinge and four more for the hinges toward the back of the frame and it's off.

It's possible that it's leaking at the valve itself but its very likely that it's where the hoses pass through the floor. You really can't tell until you can sit there (where the coach used to be) and see everything.

Don't forget that these hoses run down to your water heater from here. There are four Y-connectors and 30 feet of heater hose in all of this so if the hoses are bad on the aux heater then they are bad all the way down.

Good luck on this and let us know what you find out.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Al and Steven, this is where I wil start to probe and I will update what I find.
Texas Unit 9
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote