Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2002, 06:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

What the heck is that switch on the wall???

I have a switch on the wall of my 85 325.

It looks like a home light switch, it is mounted near the sink and below the infamous “selector switch”.

I can find no reference to it in the copy of manuals I have, and it does not turn on any light or wall outlets that I can find so far.

It appears to be factory installed.

Any takers out there?

Scott
TRAPEZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:04 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

OK,

Since the KNOWLEDGABLE folk have not responded, I will take a guess. Check to see if there are any wires underneath the sink. Could it be for a garbage chopper or an “instant hot water for tea and coffee” appliance? Could it be for an outside light of some sort, outside door light or a flagpole light, etc.?

And, last of all, check underneath the switch plate and see if it has any wires connected to the switch at all... I wonder if it could be like some automobiles where they put in switches or switch plates for accessories even if you don't have the acccessory...

Ohhh.. I'm sorry, I misread your post and thought it was 10 days old instead of just an hour old... I'll quietly watch for the real answer now.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:19 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Possibly ...

Obviously, if it is a standard light switch, it applies to the 110v appliances.

My son-in-law's trailer (another brand) had a similar switch. He had a hot-rod in the water heater and a microwave. The switch selected which one would be hot at any given time. That was to prevent blowing breakers by pulling too many amps.

I have heard of similar lashups between the microwave and a second AC for the same reason on 50A units.

You may have a similar situstion
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 09:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

John,

Airstreams motor homes already have an “Appliance selector switch” to take care of this detail, so that is not it.

I think I saw a rumor, somewhere in this form, stating that an unidentified switch of this nature may be for the supply side of the12 volt “UNIVOLT” inverter. Can anybody verify that? It would seem unlikely as you would not want to turn off supply to the UNIVOLT , except for service.

I think Kate-Jody may be right, it may be for the “instant hot water” as suggested.

Scott
TRAPEZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Scott,
that would be an easy test for the univolt.
Plug in, disconnect coach batteries and see if interior lights work in either position.
I do frequently travel with the univolt unplugged.
At 900 watts, it gives the generator some breathing room running the A/C ('s). The coach batteries get charged by the alternator during travel.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:33 AM   #6
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Wall Switch & Selector Switch

I'll take a stab at this one - On my 345, there is a switch, which looks like a standard house wall switch, on the wall above the plug in over the sink. This swith powers the Hot Water Dispenser mounted by the sink (Possible your unit had one of the hot water dispensers and it is has been removed) This was a factory instalaled switch on our vehicle. below that switch is a standard 2 socket wall plug (also factory installed) and below that a standard "flipper swith which powers ceiling lights near sink. In a ceiling cabinet over the Sink, we have the Selector Swith for the appliances and there is an "Open Cirduit" Position which you can select when you are running your Generator and want to just have ther rear A/C running, without the univolt or any other appliance. Your vehicle may not have this configuration, but I would be willing to bet that the switch you are referring to was associated with a hot water disponser on your sink.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 02:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I second Doc Joe's comments. I tested my switch by inserting a standard three prong outlet tester into the outlet below the sink and flipping the switch on and off (with 120v AC power on of course). The other dead give away was the Hot-1 hot water dispenser being plugged into that outlet. I don't know if that switch controls anything else. The big difference between Doc Joe's and mine is that his Hot-1 works! Mine will someday! I did get the recall kit in the mail and may tear it apart just for fun and see if I can put it back together working.

The Nu-Tone Food system is selected from the infamous selector switch. We Americans just hate to be limited don't we. That switch represents restrictions and limitations! It's just plain evil!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 04:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Red face Well switched on...

Hi Guys....
Mmmm guess u guys THINK of everything...lol, a switch to turn a switch ON...You'll be saying next you need to flick a switch to OPEN the door....What !!!!...U got one already....an I thought us Brits WERE in the MODERN ages too....
Why DO you put them UPSIDE DOWN ???...
OK I may be SWITCHED on...but my battery is FLAT...
You Guys have FUN now...Chris...