Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Talking Waterheater trouble?!

Hi,
We just bought a 1986 345 coasic moho, we shipped it from Baltimore to Germany!
We have some issues with our 6 gallon Atwood waterheater. It is engine supported, while we are travelling we have warm water, once stoped, we need to switch on in restroom the boiler, it starts imediately, heats well and quick.
At a certain moment, it stops to heat, certainly if watertemperature is good.
Now my problem: Heater does not re-start. Not while taking a shwer, not while temperature went down over night. Allways switch glows "red", and i have to re-start manually.
Anybody any idea, hiw to solve this problem??? We have NO ATWOODSERVICE IN GERMANY...!
Thank you for any support
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It could by a several things. The red light means it failed to light after 3 attempts. Do you hear ticking as the igniter is trying to light the flame? Is there a red light on the circuit board in the outside water heater compartment? Does a flame appear and then immediately go out?

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Could you provide the heater model number? Should be on a label in the outside compartment.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I had a similar problem and mine was the Thermo-fuse was bad. Was told to carry one with me as they go out. Easy to change out.
Viel Glueck mit dem Airstream in Deutschland.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think if the thermal fuse is out, you will get NO heating. OP has initial heating but no reignition.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
That what sought too. I got heat but as soon it got hot the red light came on. I had hit water one time it would not reheat unless I turned it off and waited for a couple hours then I could do it over again. Replacing the Thermo-fuse did stop it.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Thank you for the idea!
I will change the thermo fuse then. Where us this fuse located, where can i buy this???
Its a 6 gallon heater, OEM FROM Airstream built in. I was in Jackson Center Ohio, while we were travelling cross USA, but they ha NO REPLCEMENT, no time to fix, no technician free....!
Is this fuse a common replacement??
To explain again, wgen i light the boiler with the switch in the restroom (Atwood switch, NOT Airstream), the boiler lights imediately, but once it's hot, it dies NOT RE-start.
Tgank you all!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I found some likely thermal fuses on ebay by searching for "atwood 93866", and an Atwood troubleshooting manual at Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Waterheater/backupfuses???

Dear all, exspecially "Idroba"!
It seems my waterheater trouble is solved!As Idroba told me, i re-tighted EVERY electrical conection, cleaned the ground conections and "sealed" everything eith a "good" flush of WD 40 spray. The waterheater started imedatey to work, stopped heating at the moment the water was hot. I drained then the Heater by opening the kitchenfsucet in "hot" position and.....yeah! Re-start worked!!! I will check tomrrow morning, if water is still hot, everything is fine!
One more question:
We replaced also today the bulbs n the back-up lights of our 345, the two ROUND ONES. (Same than next to entry). Once my son put the bulb in, all 4 backup lights went "off". Must be a blown fuse, becuse f a mistake by replacing the bulb. I could NOT FIND this fuse!!!!!! Owners manual was not helpfull, nor the "chevrolet p30 manual". No idea which fuse is gor the backup lights, where it is located????
Anybody any idea???