Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
water supply crimp ring

I ask my local RV store about the alliminium crip ring that couples most of the connections on my MH,He said I should change to the new compress type fittings, O K I agree it looks easier and readily available, but he does not know how to attache a new compresor fitting from the grey pvc. I notice that the sink faucet is atache to it via plastic slip compression.Can it be glue like garden type pvc?Is it pvc or other plastic?can I just use a hose clamp I dont want to make it look like a make shift rig,I want to do right and relaible.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
the gray pipe is probably polybutelyne which was replaced by PEX a few years ago due to lawsuit problems (may be related to the concerns about the crimp rings as it was the acetyl fittings and compression rings on polybutyl pipe that failed causing lawsuits).

The compression fittings (Quest or Flair-it) work by sliding the nut, then the metal ring, then the gasket on the tube and then tightening the nut on whatever it gets attachted to. Don't over tighten. Most packages with these fittings have instructions with pictures.

check pexconnection.com for parts and pieces or Lowes or even your corner Tru Value hardware (probably Ace, too).
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used the compression fitting on my shower connections, and went to a brass coupling instead of plastic. The I coated the whole thing with plumbers goop where the seals meet to be extra safe, as the shower is a pain to fix.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
the grey pipe isnt avail. lowes has has a compression ring for pex. pex is a larger diamiter on the outside and thicker wall than the grey pipe. you can compress the pex but you need the correct ring. lol
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: water supply crimp ring

Quote:
Originally posted by Lido&Linda
I ask my local RV store about the alliminium crip ring that couples most of the connections on my MH,He said I should change to the new compress type fittings, O K I agree it looks easier and readily available, but he does not know how to attache a new compresor fitting from the grey pvc. I notice that the sink faucet is atache to it via plastic slip compression.Can it be glue like garden type pvc?Is it pvc or other plastic?can I just use a hose clamp I dont want to make it look like a make shift rig,I want to do right and relaible.
FWIW, I had to replace my city water inlet/pressure regulator this summer. I tried to use the factory brass fitting on the gray pipe and only succeeded in cross-threading my $40 inlet.

We don"t have any RV dealers closer than 40 miles away, and in any event, I don't own the tools necessary to assemble this kind of plumbing. After I cleaned the plastic threads back up, I used a thread file and cut the crimp ring off of the gray plastic tubing and removed the 4" of tubing that held the brass fitting.

I replaced the 4" of gray tubing with 200psi re-inforced clear tubing and used hose clamps to secure it to the brass t-fitting and the NYLON fitting supplied with the inlet. It went back together quickly and easily. It may not look 'factory' but it's inside a metal cabinet under the exterior of the trailer, and no one will see it until the next time (hopefully after I'm long gone) it needs to be replaced. Further the plastic tubing has a greater pressure rating than the gray pipe it replaced.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
pex is a larger diamiter on the outside and thicker wall than the grey pipe
I don't think this is true as the tubing for water (copper or plastic) is measured by its OD. (see http://www.cerrocu.com/cda/book.html
)

There may be some expansion with age but my experience is that I can use the Quest or Flair-t compression fittings on copper, PEX, or polybutelyne without too much of a problem. 3/8 tubing and half inch fittings are what I use most often. The 5/8 OD and 3/4 fittings need a bit more care to keep them from failing.

The crimping tools, if you want to go that way with PEX, can be rather expensive. A 'screw tite' version is about $20. You can also often rent them from Lowe's. Crimping connections in tight spaces can be a pain so preassembly is a good idea if possible.

Hose clamps on polybutelyne or PEX seem to not be favored because they can't provide the pressure that a proper crimp ring can and this tightness is needed because of the wall thickness and properties of the pipe.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
Yes,the tubing is more like a 1/2 OD I measure it.So Iwill try using a i/2 inch compression fitting it should work,the supply to the sink is a plastic comp. going in to the sink faucett hot and cold.the one I'm doing is the supply to the water filter it was crimped to a elbow fitting to the filter.