Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Water Leak - Curb Side

I just returned from Panama City Beach in 'Solar Cooker I' and attending my little Bro's wedding. No family members killed each other so I just it was successful!

(1) I have a water leak on the curb side by the rear tires. My wardrobe carpet is dry. The hall carpet is dry. Under the stove/converter area is dry. My hunch is the shower drain is leaking since it is worse after a shower! Has anyone accessed the plumbing in this area?

(2) Has anyone had the windshield seal replaced? Cost? Any danger of the glass breaking? Shoud I just grab some caulking and try to be neat?

My service manual is back at the MH. Thanks!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Has anyone had the windshield seal replaced? Cost? Any danger of the glass breaking? Shoud I just grab some caulking and try to be neat?
I pulled mine when I pulled my body (there are 2 screws through the front edge of the dash into the uprights that had to come out). They were fogged badly around the edges and had stone chips so I was going to replace them anyway, but wanted them out in one piece to put back in until after I painted. I cracked the right one. The shape makes it really hard to break the gasket loose and get it back in, plus reusing a 28 year old gasket probably didn't help (it broke going in).

I got the new gasket from Airstream, $150. It was $250 from the Coach Glass. The guy that put the new ones in only charged $80, they were $650 each and as I had already broken one original......

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Found it!

I pulled off the panel in the wardrobe behind the shower. The leak is where the pipe joins the 90 degree fitting that screws into the shower fixture. The water was running down the pipe to the edge of the coach.

My plan is to depressurize the lines, dry off the pipes, and slap on a good coating of pvc cement. The exisisting line is crimped on. The pipe is not cracked. It just looks like the sealant got old and cracked. More to come.....
Old 09-10-2003, 08:27 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

I would reccomend that you replace that fitting. Remember Alan's experience at Mystic Springs last year. The fitting you need is a 90 Degree elbow for pex. 3/8 size. You may be able to find one that is 90 degree 1/2 FIP to 3/8 pex compression. If not get the proper adapter and you will be fine. The pex cuts with a utility knife. Once it is cracked/leaking the only way to permanently "fix" a fitting is to replace it.

Sorry
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I cut it off with my rotary tool...put on a new compression fitting- brass- and coated the whole mess with plumbers goop sealer. So far great. The cold water side is constantly pressured so it is usually the one to fail. The hardest part was for mine--cutting the wall open to get access. Lucky yours has a door there.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Got it fixed! Now I just need to replace the panel. Kind of a tight fit going back into place.

It is 3/8" interior dimension PEX. The shower fixture was 1/2" MIP fitting for those who care. Home Depot had the needed parts.