Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2002, 08:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Tinting Windows....

Has anyone out there had their windows on their MH tinted? If so how do you think it turned out? Any picutures? Any advice on the do's and don't's of tinting windows? Does it help on keeping the heat on the outside on those hot days?
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Window tinting

I recently learned a valuable lesson on tinting, once tinting is on it is very difficult to remove so much so I will not tint the windows on anything anymore, I promise.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I have been removing the tint from my windows for some time. The 345 seems to sprout news windows each time I use it. That stuff is tough to get off. I have used several powerful chemicals (Goop Off) and lots of razors. Let's just say bad words formed in my head regarding the owner who installed the tinting! I need to have it off before the next Mystic Springs Rally or I'll get some unpleasant remarks my way since I was 3/4 done at the last rally.

I wanted a bright RV with lots of light and views. When I bought mine, the tinting was purple and hazy. It had to go.

It's your call. I'm sure some look really nice with it.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I also considered tinting the drivers area windows a bit to help on the sun's heat- right now I have one of those pull down shade deals on my side which works ok but looks like crap.
I have seen removable window tint advertised in the camping world catalogue, but don't know how it is to work with. It is a temporary film see below copy-

Kwik-Shade
From $3.99 (P.C. $3.59)

Save 10% with President's Club Member's prices shown after

Description
Block out 70% of the sun's heat, glare and light. Reuseable, optically superior window film clings to glass by static electricity, letting you remove and reposition it indefinitely. Transparent, space-age material stores rolled up and can be trimmed easily with scissors for a custom fit. Cleans easily. In Smoke. USA.

Select Items - Check items and click one of the options below.
Kwik-Shade - 15" x 17"
$3.99 (P.C. $3.59)
Kwik-Shade - 32" x 35"
$8.97 (P.C. $8.07)
Kwik-Shade - By the Yard
$10.99 (P.C. $9.89)

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Some of the stuff I have seen works on static electricity and clings to the window. It is OK as long as it is stored correctly when not in use because it can scratch.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 12:24 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Adhesive remover

I had to remove tint a few times in the past. I too fought it for a long time. Here is what I found out:
Use a NEW industrila razor blade to remove the film. I cut my work area into 3" strips beforehand, and this made it easy to remove the film in sheets, 3" wide, without tearing or having to start over.
Don't cut too hard, a little scratch will do.
3M General Adhesive remover worked well for the residue, so did Acetone.
The trick I found was to keep a rag or sponge sized area soaked, and rub GENTLY, not too hard. Let the acetone or adhesive remover do the work, not the pressure or mechanical action of the rag or sponge. Change rags often, so you don't rub the dissolved adhesive back onto the glass as it dries on the rag. You will get a certain haze, which needs one more treatment with fresh rags and adhesive remover, but then my windows were sparkling clean.
It's mindless work, I wished I could have rad a book while doing it or watch TV or something, but I got too dazed by the fumes to comprehend.
Please be careful with surrounding areas, best to cover up carpet or paneling immediately surrounding the window, so as not to get aggressive chemicals on the somwwhat fragile airstream interior. the interior on my trailer stains easily, especially the plastic surfaces.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i tinted my windows and used the static cling on the rear and on the side windows i used the glue on . it sure was hot in the MH. before and after it is noticeable cooler. with both ac s going my wife was complaning about the heat. now i hear turn the other ac on.
if i was to do this again it would be static cling all the way. the rear was put on two years ago and has not been removed . i see a air buble that has to be pressed out with a damp wash cloth.
ihope i dont to remove the tint on the side windows. it going to be a job..also if you open the sliding side windows it scratches the tint, not noticeable from the outside .yet//
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 06:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks for that last post. I saw a roll of this stuff at Home Depot, and I think I will go ahead and try it on the sides.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
you will probably have to remove the tint before opening the window. i dont think the static cling will take much abuse , but after you cut and fit it isnt a big hassel consuming to reapply.
i dont open my side windows often. get the limo tint that is what i used. it took a lot of the sun light and heat out of the MH . and it doesnt restrict your view from inside. we tailgate at ole miss and it gets hot in the parking lot.
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote