Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Airstream Classic

Tail slap on 345

My favorite camping spot has a sharp hill to negotiate and I'm concerned that rear end of my 345 will hit the ground if I try to make it this year. Has anyone had this problem or know of a way to lift the rear end with an on-demand solution? I would hate to go back to tent camping for this annual event. If I get stuck, I'll be in real trouble.
airstream963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Have you thought of using air bag suspension add on to supplement your regular suspension. With an on board compressor you could fill them and raise the rear only when you need it. Check out "Air-lift" or Firestone for ideas.
Al
You got to go in your mo-ho.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
345's already have air ride on the tag axle.The only other thing I can think of off the top of my haed, is to put a pair of those small roller bogies on the bottom of your rear bumper. At least theoretically if you do get hung up, someone with a good sized pickup can pull you back out, as you will still be on wheels, albeit small ones.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Tail dragging is an issue on the 345. We have a steep entry into our driveway at home and whenever I'm backing into the drive I make sure I go in with enpty fuel, water and waste tanks. I also make sure the rear bags are at full pressure and the fronts are emtpy. I also go up the ramp at about a 45 degree angle. It make the difference between dragging the skids under the fuel tank and not. Even with all of these changes it's only about an inch or so difference.

Having said this, there were a few times, early on, when I've pulled into or out of a parking lot and scraped the tailskids. Ever so slightly but it happened. I've learned to attack these entries at an angle, or avoid them altogether.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This happens even with the shorter MH's, but of course not as severe as with a 345. When I first got mine, in a touristy mountain town near here I tried to negotiate a left turn and uphill entrance to a parking lot...quite steep.
Got my trailer hitch stuck in the asphalt on the main road, blocking traffic. I couldn't go back or forward...finally had to pull up dragging it and cut the wheel to get out again dragging it. Nice sounds for all to hear.
I should add that keeping my air bags full has reallly helped with this issue.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
You have several options.

1) get a roller for the hitch. Camping World sells them. If you bottom out, the roller keeps you from getting stuck.

2) take the hill at an angle if possible. That helped in my 345.

3) I also used 2x6 planks under the tires in the valley. They doubled as my jack stands

The previously mention items are also very helpful. Your tanks are all behind the rear tires so draining them is a big deal (of course you need gas). I took my 345 to some pretty wild places. We called it Extreme Camping. We did hit Black Rock Mountain in Georgia up a 17% grade and around some sharp turns up to the HIGHEST camping pad. Alan, have you taken your 28 footer there yet? Nice place. We laid in bed and watched the sunrise through the wrap around windows. Way cool.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
not yet, but recently went to Fort Mountain, it was fabulous.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote