Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Steer safe steering stabilizer

Hey,
Well, I sandblasted and painted black my patented steer safe stabilizer on the front of my 325. When I a
Was a kid, maybe 13 years old, Overdrive magazine had this new company promoting an anti blowout device, they put it on a cab over Peterbuilt, put explosive charges on the right front tire, and blew the tire at 55 lies per hour. The tire came off the wheel, rolled into a field. But the truck stayed right in its lane, and the driver was able to bring it to a stop safely. 80,000 pds was what the rig weighted. It has no effect on your ability to steer. The springs zero themselves out. But if you get a sudden yank going off the road, blowing out a tire, it could save your life. I recommend them.
All ready to reinstall the transmission. Alway put a new trans cooler on, when doing a rebuild. Don't forget to flush the tranny lines. The brake drum, E brake was in perfect shape. I sandblasted the assembly, painted it gloss black. I love putting stuff together clean and painted..
I'm almost done underneath this unit. Can't wait to drive it.
5420 miles and the tranny was cooked. My guy suspected rocking it and being 4 quarts low on fluid cooked the clutches, and broke the reverse band. Also tore up the gears in the drum . He found new straight cut gears and I'm good to go.
DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejay View Post
Hey,
Well, I sandblasted and painted black my patented steer safe stabilizer on the front of my 325. When I a
Was a kid, maybe 13 years old, Overdrive magazine had this new company promoting an anti blowout device, they put it on a cab over Peterbuilt, put explosive charges on the right front tire, and blew the tire at 55 lies per hour. The tire came off the wheel, rolled into a field. But the truck stayed right in its lane, and the driver was able to bring it to a stop safely. 80,000 pds was what the rig weighted. It has no effect on your ability to steer. The springs zero themselves out. But if you get a sudden yank going off the road, blowing out a tire, it could save your life. I recommend them.
All ready to reinstall the transmission. Alway put a new trans cooler on, when doing a rebuild. Don't forget to flush the tranny lines. The brake drum, E brake was in perfect shape. I sandblasted the assembly, painted it gloss black. I love putting stuff together clean and painted..
I'm almost done underneath this unit. Can't wait to drive it.
5420 miles and the tranny was cooked. My guy suspected rocking it and being 4 quarts low on fluid cooked the clutches, and broke the reverse band. Also tore up the gears in the drum . He found new straight cut gears and I'm good to go.
DJ
Hi Dave I just bought the Steer Safe unit for my 75 Argosy 24. Will put it on next week. I also had the Steer Safe on a 78 Dodge 24' mini and it made a great deal of difference. The P30 power steering is so effective its like driving on ice. No resistance so looking forward to the Steer Safe resistance and centering. Much better feel in steering. Thanks for the reminder.
al
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote