Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2023, 10:07 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Advance , North Carolina
Spare tire mount options on Interstate 19

Hi All,
My husband and I are new to RVing. We are getting a 2023 Airstream Interstate 19 in about a month. It doesn’t come with a spare tire. Go figure! What’s the best way to mount a spare? Also should we get a regular tire like the other 4 or one of those little mini ones just to get you by? Thanks for the advice in advance!
RogueWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #2

2023 Interstate 19
Northern NJ , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I are new to RVing. We are getting a 2023 Airstream Interstate 19 in about a month. It doesn’t come with a spare tire. Go figure! What’s the best way to mount a spare? Also should we get a regular tire like the other 4 or one of those little mini ones just to get you by? Thanks for the advice in advance!
I’m also new to a 2023 AI 19 with E1. I came across Owl vans and doing some research on it. I came across someone with a beautiful setup on AI facebook below.

https://owlvans.com/collections/airstream-interstate

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6267...0249580148076/

Love to hear what you come up as options.

Good luck!
RV-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Researched LOTS of options. We talked to the service advisors at our Mercedes dealer, and exchanged emails with Owl, Wilco, and Aluminess. Someone recently asked about using the Roadmaster hitch tire carrier. Here is our share on the subject: Mercedes does not approve of putting tire weight on the doors or hinges. Owl and Aluminess require vehicle body changes like badge, drilling a hole, etc. Wilco swing away will not clear the Airstream bumper. And, the vehicle sensors may be interfered with in some installations. Putting something which blocks opening the rear doors from the inside in an emergency is worth considering. We did not want to block them. As we pondered the options we were also learning how to pack the AI-19 (and do with less). Until something better comes along we decided to not purchase any of the tire carriers we found. We do not want to travel without a spare. A flat is possible, we hope to have a cell phone connection and get help, but it may be difficult to easily find a replacement tire if needed, and etc. We purchased a new wheel from Mercedes and a new vehicle matching tire from Discount Tire. We placed a small throw rug under the back bench in the center storage area and placed the spare on it face down. We do not need the rear seat belts so we pulled them down under the seat and used them to secure the tire. We place lots of stuff inside the wheel (backside of wheel is up, like a bowl for storage). The tire fits well in the space. We have Coach-Net and AAA. All is good. Hope this helps.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote