Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1996 30' Land Yacht
caldwell , West Virginia
Spare Tire Cable

I have a 1996 airstream land yacht(gas) , the spare tire cable has retracted and will not extend to allow me to hook to the spare tire, any ideas, ???
thank you
lester tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Treasure Island , Florida
Have an Idea.

Lester,
I would get another person to pull on the cable while you attempt to lower the spare tire holder. I had this happen before and it seems to me to be because I cranked the holder in too much and the cable became bound.
Hopefully somebody strong can help you unbind the spool.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucet45410 View Post
Lester,
I would get another person to pull on the cable while you attempt to lower the spare tire holder. I had this happen before and it seems to me to be because I cranked the holder in too much and the cable became bound.
Hopefully somebody strong can help you unbind the spool.
You could also try attaching some weight to the end on tire cable where it would attach to the spare. I likely needs some weight on it to free the cable which may be bound up inside the winch. It also might be a corrosion problem. Try hitting it with something like WD40 to cut through the rust.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1996 30' Land Yacht
caldwell , West Virginia
s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You could also try attaching some weight to the end on tire cable where it would attach to the spare. I likely needs some weight on it to free the cable which may be bound up inside the winch. It also might be a corrosion problem. Try hitting it with something like WD40 to cut through the rust.
Thank you for your reply
I am soaking the entire hoist at the present time, have not been able to get it to release.
Wonder where one could find another one if this one will not work.
lester
Old 01-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lester tharp View Post
Thank you for your reply
I am soaking the entire hoist at the present time, have not been able to get it to release.
Wonder where one could find another one if this one will not work.
lester
Yesterday before posting a reply I checked the Airstream web site for a 1996 gas Land Yacht part list, but they did not have one. The closest is a 1998 parts list at this link:
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-Gas-parts.pdf

The winch for 1998 Airstream is part # 410631. I found one at www.airstreamsupply.com, but their site is off line today. Here is a photo so you can tell if it looks the same as the one on your 1996 model.

If it looks close you might try contacting them directly. I got their contact details from Google cache:
Airstream Supply. 2651 South 600 West Salt Lake City, Ut 84115. Telephone 801-972-2400 Mon - Fri 9am - 4pm.

Edit; I also notice they were still using this same part for the spare on 2004 models, so you might be able to still get one from Airstream. My Intersate has a spare tire winch, but it is very different and has a different part number.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1996 30' Land Yacht
caldwell , West Virginia
What a blessing this sight has been!! We were in the flooded area in West Virginia and was needing a place to live while replacing bathroom and kitchen, so i thought a camper or motor home would be a good choice if i could find one reasonable, well, i found this one, it had been in storage for a few years, it needed a lot of TLC but at present time appears to be ready for us to enjoy.
I sincerely appreciate all the help airstream and the many members that have given advice to me, now the weather is very cold here so will have to wait till spring to work on house but in meantime i can get the landyacht more ready for upcoming spring and summer.
A BIG THANK YOU
sincerely,
lester tharp
Old 02-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
Lester, I had new tires installed last year and the tire changers cranked down my winch with a power wrench. Unfortunately, they went the wrong way, and broke the crank. The dealer looked to have it repaired or replaced and he had zero luck. His only course of action was to re,over it and send it back to the manufacturer and they were able to rebuild it for them. This too, ma be your best course of action for the winch
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote